Author Topic: GAE 0.3.1  (Read 12706 times)

ChupaReaper

Re: GAE 0.3.1
« Reply #50 on: 22 November 2010, 09:37:19 »
Yes, I heard Silnarm is preparing for a release...
Cool, I should get my descriptions finished off and get back to work the second faction.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 22 November 2010, 12:16:46 »
Yes, 0.3.2 shouldn't be much longer, most everything is done now, but I'd like to leave it a for a while to see if anything else I've missed pops up.

I might actually put up a snapshot release so non-compiling people can help test.

Watch this space.

Edit:

Windows exe (dev edition) and data upgrade pack @ rev 952,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/files/snapshots/gae_win32_rev952.7z/download

« Last Edit: 22 November 2010, 14:07:15 by silnarm »
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #52 on: 22 November 2010, 18:46:31 »
Yes, 0.3.2 shouldn't be much longer, most everything is done now, but I'd like to leave it a for a while to see if anything else I've missed pops up.

I might actually put up a snapshot release so non-compiling people can help test.

Watch this space.

Edit:

Windows exe (dev edition) and data upgrade pack @ rev 952,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/files/snapshots/gae_win32_rev952.7z/download

Awesome Silnarm! I applaud you making a snapshot release, because my MSVS is totally shot up (can't seem to create projects) and have yet to learn any other compilers... I'll download at home (SF is blocked at school... :()
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ChupaReaper

« Reply #53 on: 23 November 2010, 00:13:44 »
The snapshot is working great only the lag is still there in 256 and 512 maps but the new descriptions and faction symbols are great, so are the minimap colours.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 23 November 2010, 00:34:40 »
Crashes on Wine. :-\  When clicking "new game", I get this:
Exception: SocketError in : getIP() [Error code: 110]
Connection timed out

Will try on *shudder* Windows.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #55 on: 23 November 2010, 08:35:53 »
The snapshot is working great only the lag is still there in 256 and 512 maps but the new descriptions and faction symbols are great, so are the minimap colours.

Oh this reminded me, when playing on my main computer, I lagg up until I freeze. Can't be graphics because we have a relatively powerful ATI Radeon HD 4670(ftw!!!), processor is dual-core plenty to handle Glest. MG works fine with massive battles, or 256 maps.

My conclusion: Problem with GAE, and/or libs it uses. :|

Crashes on Wine. :-\  When clicking "new game", I get this:
Exception: SocketError in : getIP() [Error code: 110]
Connection timed out

Will try on *shudder* Windows.

Win7 isn't bad. Better than Linux in many ways, but not all. ;)
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 23 November 2010, 10:10:38 »
Great stuff Silnarm  :thumbup: works good on Win7.

The new faction logos and tool tips are a really nice addition which fit seamlessly with Glest and make it feel more polished.

EDIT: show map option still appears to be broken on windows  :'(
« Last Edit: 23 November 2010, 10:24:02 by wciow »
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 23 November 2010, 12:24:28 »
Thanks for the feedback guys  :)

'showmap' is working, but I didn't have the default data directory set right on that build, which will break it, and the program shortcuts ...  :look:

Re. performance issues on big maps.
I just did a 'longish' profile on a 256x256 map, accelerating the action by giving everyone a bunch of units from the Lua console. It spent an inordinate amount of time in the functions related to the hierarchical search... Something is indeed very wrong, but I wouldn't have a clue what at this stage, and it may take a while to track down the problem.

Timeline | Downloads

ChupaReaper

« Reply #58 on: 23 November 2010, 13:21:37 »
Re. performance issues on big maps.
I just did a 'longish' profile on a 256x256 map, accelerating the action by giving everyone a bunch of units from the Lua console. It spent an inordinate amount of time in the functions related to the hierarchical search... Something is indeed very wrong, but I wouldn't have a clue what at this stage, and it may take a while to track down the problem.

Well having more players and different faction increases how fast the lag comes and 512 maps lag faster.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 28 November 2010, 10:00:48 »
Here's another snapshot exe and data patch for windows, (attack notice sounds were added for tech and magic, and guard and patrol commands were tweaked a bit)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/files/snapshots/gae-win32-r970.zip/download

Performance on big maps should be much better, 256x256 maps should be ok, but you may still get lag if a whole bunch of units wanting to go to the other side of the map hit the pathfinder all at once. 512x512 maps are probably not ok, additional 'hierarchies' for the path-finder will solve this, I've added that to the list for 0.4.

Enjoy.

Timeline | Downloads

ChupaReaper

« Reply #60 on: 30 November 2010, 02:51:18 »
Started a 256 map with 8 players, sent some workers to go and build, a second after them moving it crashed:
(click to show/hide)

Edit: Tried a 128 map and got the same crash, nothing to do with build because the units managed to place the be_built state of the building where as on the 256 map they just started moving to the build site. I think I've got some 'missing' textures, they weren't missing before, maybe my tgas aren't right or there's some odd bug... I'll reformat the tgas and test again later.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2010, 02:54:31 by ChupaReaper »

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #61 on: 30 November 2010, 02:58:11 »
Oh yeah, I forgot to report that I always get that problem...weird. And yeah, it doesn't matter on the map, it'll crash on any...

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 30 November 2010, 05:08:31 »
Oops.

I can't reproduce on a debug build, nor a release-with-debug-info, but easily enough on a straight 'release'. Looks like the missing pdb was causing the problem, new build (windoze),
http://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/files/snapshots/gae-win32-r979.zip/download

@ultifd: I think because we use exceptions to pass control around in a few non-exceptional circumstances ( :look: ) the new windows exception handler tries to load the pdb, if it can't find it, it chokes... until I figure it out for sure and fix it, switch your build configuration to 'RelWithDebInfo' and it should all work fine.

Timeline | Downloads

ChupaReaper

« Reply #63 on: 30 November 2010, 11:13:17 »
Thanks for the quick responce, the crash has gone now but still unplayable framerates on 256 maps  :(.

anything