Author Topic: Another View on Gaming Piracy  (Read 4934 times)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: Another View on Gaming Piracy
« Reply #25 on: 26 October 2010, 23:07:46 »
Why developers even bother with this is beyond me. It doesn't stop piracy, but in fact INCREASES it because users end up downloading pirated versions simply because they are too limited by the regular version.
It's because they're delusional and completely out of touch with the times.

Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBkuiChImb8

Chakravanti

Re: Hello again and my flash game!
« Reply #26 on: 13 December 2010, 05:14:01 »
I'm a pirate....and not by choice.  I only pirate music that I have:

A)Paid for at some point in my life but was scratched, stolen, broken, etc.
B)Actually supported the artist for preforming at a venue which gives them more support than record sales (which benefit media corps:artists at an average 10:1 respectively)

As for games, I've been meaning to shell out for savage2 for some time now but have had other priorities for my taco-bell sized wallet...like family.

As a rule of thumb I don't even think about pirating games that don't run natively on linux.  I wouldn't want to falsely represent interest in something I have none for.  As in the case of Savage2, Dwarf Fortress, Battle for Wesnoth and other indies that have taken the time to port their stuff to linux and opengl I show support by purchasing or donating what I can (which isn't much, and is usually in the form of moral support).

When it comes to gaming....if it isn't free and/or linux native...then I have better things to do/support with my time and energy.  DRM?  I wouldn't pirate if I could.  Projects I do donate to tend to have real life value and social benefit, like drugs-forum.  But making available the scientific truths about drugs and drug use in a draconian culture of witch hunt always seemed more important to me than what I've come to refer to as clicker crack.

Chakravanti

Re: Hello again and my flash game!
« Reply #27 on: 13 December 2010, 05:19:27 »
okay that was meant to be posted here:

https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=6096.0

So it certainly DOES make sense that I would want to report my own post which is what it denied me for such reason after attempting to do so.

Apparently I'm having navigation issues that may or may not be related to posting after midnight so I'll stop until I can more clearly discern that...

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: Another View on Gaming Piracy
« Reply #28 on: 13 December 2010, 06:01:27 »
okay that was meant to be posted here:

https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=6096.0

So it certainly DOES make sense that I would want to report my own post which is what it denied me for such reason after attempting to do so.

Apparently I'm having navigation issues that may or may not be related to posting after midnight so I'll stop until I can more clearly discern that...
No problem.  Your post has been moved as per your request.

anything