Author Topic: ideas for new mods. lay your ideas  (Read 6403 times)

asdfghjkl80

Re: ideas for new mods. lay your ideas
« Reply #25 on: 11 February 2011, 14:15:19 »
actuality that is a relay good idea and i already started on it a while ago i just haven't ever got it done.
one problem that there was thou is having units with the same name but i fixed it i will let people know when it is more near done.

I've just been putting all the factions into one tech tree. Right now I have 37 factions together. All I really had to do was add any new armor and attacks to the tech tree xml. On occasion I had to convert resources back into stone, gold, and wood.
i did not worry about converting resources i just used what it needed and made sure you could get more when necessary.
But then the new resources replace old resources and make all the other factions unable to gather resources. Like the factions from the man vs bunnies tech tree. It uses mushrooms instead of gold and rock instead of stone.
well with those i had to change those but if i did not i keep it.

Conzar

« Reply #26 on: 18 February 2011, 03:20:32 »
Is it possible to make a tower defense mod or a DotA like game?  What about other types of mods that aren't exactly RTS?

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 February 2011, 03:40:58 »
Is it possible to make a tower defense mod or a DotA like game?
Both have been done already, apparently.  I haven't played either, so I can't comment on quality, but I'm aware of their existence at least.

https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=4999.0
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=4422.0

Conzar

« Reply #28 on: 22 February 2011, 16:30:05 »
Team Based Mod
I have been thinking about a mod that focuses on team-play rather then 1v1 type games and not just forcing a 1v1 like game onto more players (SC2 does this with their various 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 games - usually with these games the idea is to knockout one of the players and then the scales tip in the other teams favor, its too complicated to spectate and rather boring when it comes down to it).  So my idea for a mod is to have 2 teams that have 3 different roles on each team.  The goal of the game is to destroy the other team's base (just 1 main base).  There is no resource mining.  Credits are used instead of resources.  Credits are attained by controlling credit/resource points.  These credit/resource points provide credits periodically to all players.  There are different weights for each resource/credit points (meaning different values like one point might give 5, 25, 100, etc).  As stated before, each player on a team gets their own credits to spend.  The interesting aspect is that depending on the player's role, depends on what they can spend their credits on.

Roles
  • Commander - Builds the tech which opens up more units/buildings for other players,  Builds static defences, Builds defensive units which cannot leave the commander zone, Builds support units which can go anywhere
  • Defender - Builds light defensive structures, Builds defensive units which cannot leave the defender's zone but can enter the commander's zone, Builds support units that can go anywhere
  • Attacker - Builds recon and attacking units only that can go anywhere

Note, any unit can occupy a resource point.  Depending on the value of the resource point, depends on the number of units that are required to occupy in order to gain control of the resource point.  If a team controls a resource point, then in order to set the point to neutral, all units of the opposing team must be eliminated from the resource point.  To then occupy, normal rules apply.  Construction of units is instantaneousness with a cooldown (which is unit specific).  Units are either teleported in, airlifted, or space dropped (I haven't thought about which).  There are designed resource points that allow spawns (most resource points disallow spawns).  Attackers can spawn from any of the designed resource points while defenders and command are restricted to spawns in their own zones.

Here is how I envision a map to look like (abstractly)

I think it might be cool to have a sort of sports like theme.

What do you guys think?  Is it possible to do with MG/GAE?

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 February 2011, 22:21:37 »
Is it possible to make a tower defense mod or a DotA like game?  What about other types of mods that aren't exactly RTS?
There is a tower defence scenario in vbros pack 2.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!