Author Topic: Thumbs.db isnt a unit!  (Read 3366 times)

Zoythrus

Thumbs.db isnt a unit!
« on: 19 December 2010, 22:19:30 »
i was working on the Constellus mod, and when i tried to run it in GAE, it claims that the "unit" Thumbs.db doesnt have an XML. but, obviously, Thumbs.db isnt a unit, nor does it even have a folder in the units (actually, i eliminated every Thumbs.db i could find).

what's the problem?

and yes, i have hidden folders visible.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Thumbs.db isnt a unit!
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2010, 22:46:09 »
First of all, I'll try the most basic approach. Since this is windows, is your UAC *off*? UAC causes problems where Glest tries to read cached versions of the data from an Appdata folder, and will cause it to be playing an older version, preventing your fixes from properly working.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Zoythrus

« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2010, 23:14:03 »
i found it using Free Commander, and deleted it, so it works fine now. but what would cause a bunch of Thumb.db's to be added to many of my mod folders? many random units throughout my addons folder (no mod was safe) got a thumb.db in their image folder.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2010, 23:20:15 »
but what would cause a bunch of Thumb.db's to be added to many of my mod folders? many random units throughout my addons folder (no mod was safe) got a thumb.db in their image folder.
Isn't that what Windows always does?

Gabbe

« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2010, 23:27:09 »
but what would cause a bunch of Thumb.db's to be added to many of my mod folders? many random units throughout my addons folder (no mod was safe) got a thumb.db in their image folder.
Isn't that what Windows always does?

no never?

notsogood

« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2010, 00:00:58 »
it claims that the "unit" Thumbs.db doesnt have an XML. but, obviously, Thumbs.db isnt a unit, nor does it even have a folder in the units (actually, i eliminated every Thumbs.db i could find).
what's the problem?
and yes, i have hidden folders visible.

There is a checkbox in folder settings to turn off caching of thumbnail pictures
in Windows, try check that and after that delete all thumbs.db -files.
There is no real good on having thumbs.db-files on really, the filemanager generates
the thumbnails from the real files quick enough anyway on a modern harddisk, even
for your big-photo-directory-with-100000-unsorted-digital-camera-pictures, since
it generate them while you scroll down.

if you don't have cache thumbnails off, then windows generates the thumbs.db files
again as soon as you delete them if you use the filemanager in the big icons -mode
(perhaps not in the View-List mode)

btw, there is another (more nasty) way for windows to hide folders or files that you
should be aware of. If they have a desktop.ini (or is it folder.ini? I don't remember)
with the correct instructions in them then the folder isn't visible in windows filemanager

if you have a folder (or file!) that is not a faction in the factions-folder
techs/megapack/factions/ or mydata/techs/something/factions/
glest lists it as a faction (and might try to use it if you select *Random*)
Ideally glest should just ignore any file or folder in faction-folder that doesn't contain its
xml-file inside it, right now it only ignores hidden files (like the .svn-files) I think

So make sure you don't include any thumbs.db (or _catalog.vix some other
filemanager creates) when you zip/7zip-compress your mod and send it to others.
Also important is to never use any BIG LETTERS in anything (and not refering to the
files with big letter in the xml-files either of course)
« Last Edit: 20 December 2010, 00:10:02 by notsogood »

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2011, 08:04:23 »
Created ticket 321.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

anything