Author Topic: RELEASE 3 IS OUT!!! LINUX, PC, OSX!  (Read 172361 times)

james876

Re: Annex: BETA 1 RELEASED!!!
« Reply #225 on: 25 August 2011, 01:45:20 »
Can not produce more soldiers and combat units, why pop is limited to 60?
 How can I build more units? I like the people of the large forces fighting the war as hundreds of people I want to build more troops and combat troops, thank you!
« Last Edit: 25 August 2011, 01:50:57 by james876 »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #226 on: 25 August 2011, 01:56:40 »
Population limits were purposely placed by the mod maker, intended so. They can help reduce lag caused by large numbers of units and force the user to use more strategy than just brute forcing with the most units. If you wish to remove them, you can increase the resource supplied in the faction XML, but bear in mind that will break compatibility with online multiplayer. If units have an individual maximum limit as well (an MG unique tag), you can simply remove that XML tag in the unit's XML.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

james876

« Reply #227 on: 25 August 2011, 01:59:18 »
How do I cancel the pop limit, I tried to modify xml file, but I have not changed successfully, what should I change the xml file, thank you!

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #228 on: 25 August 2011, 04:46:26 »
MegaGlest does handle many units at once very well. Population count serves 3 functions, Prevents megaglests lag issues of having too many units at once, force players to be more strategic and agressive, and limit cpu, which would produce more units faster than human players. After many experiments with population caps I concluded that 70 is the best number. Changing this value also breaks a balance as defense structures and harvesters use up more population 3-5 then rest of units which use one. And yes the number is 70 not 60, first 10 used by the initial 10 workers you start with.
Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

Mr War

« Reply #229 on: 25 August 2011, 06:32:36 »
No matter how much I play, I will never get bored of the build and die animations and particles

Well done

treba

« Reply #230 on: 25 August 2011, 08:17:00 »
awesome game!
this has a really big potential. next we i will play it with a friend.
but there is a bug in the win version: it still uses the file c:/user/app data/megaglest/glest.log. if you don't have mg installed, you have to create it yourself.

claymore

« Reply #231 on: 25 August 2011, 12:08:53 »
I haven't been really been following this thread, so some comments/questions:

It looks good and plays well, great job. Building looks like it should be noisy, but it's silent right now... and there seem to be some other sound effects missing. What remains to be done between now and the final release? Are sounds on the list? Will there be another faction, or just the one?

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #232 on: 25 August 2011, 13:10:17 »
awesome game!
this has a really big potential. next we i will play it with a friend.
but there is a bug in the win version: it still uses the file c:/user/app data/megaglest/glest.log. if you don't have mg installed, you have to create it yourself.
Strange... Its supposed to use the annex_conquer app data not megaglest, any have ideas as to why?

Glad you guys are liking it! So it sounds like the game is not too graphically intensive?

@claymore yes there are missing sounds, such as build fx and unit voices, there are plans for a alternative faction "Northern Empire", as well as plans for more Techtrees using the features of v3.5.3, more maps, and campaign/story like scenarios, but this would be the last thing developed.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #233 on: 25 August 2011, 20:30:28 »
Linux version was very mixed up with megaglest data. See here how to fix it.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 25 August 2011, 23:45:08 »
ok today we played it in multiplayer 2 vs2. First all was fine, but then things go wrong :/ .

1. the eml defense towers is much too strong! If you turtle with this noone will ever win.

2. The hero is too stable! I killed the main building and I think all other buildings of tomreyn, only his hero was left. And with this he killed me completly, slowly but steady .... ok with 5 RPGs( or more?) its possible to kill him but thats too hard especially if he levels up after some kills! This level up is an absolute no go!

3. I think even the bunker is too stable.
You can build it quite quick and you can build lots of them ....

I think for human vs human there is still some serious balancing needed. Maybe others can comment too? tomreyn? claymore?
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 26 August 2011, 01:32:44 »
Only played a few games vs AI but I think the game is very well balanced, the pacing of harvesting/expansion is great.

I like the two tier mechanic with very cheap and easy to kill infantry and more expensive vehicles.

The turret thing for competitive play is difficult, if your enemy is turtling behind turrets build aircraft or MRLS.

Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #236 on: 26 August 2011, 05:29:51 »
ok today we played it in multiplayer 2 vs2. First all was fine, but then things go wrong :/ .

1. the eml defense towers is much too strong! If you turtle with this noone will ever win.

2. The hero is too stable! I killed the main building and I think all other buildings of tomreyn, only his hero was left. And with this he killed me completly, slowly but steady .... ok with 5 RPGs( or more?) its possible to kill him but thats too hard especially if he levels up after some kills! This level up is an absolute no go!

3. I think even the bunker is too stable.
You can build it quite quick and you can build lots of them ....

I think for human vs human there is still some serious balancing needed. Maybe others can comment too? tomreyn? claymore?

Maybe hero shouldn't have level up. Hero is weak vs large groups, being overwhelmed easily by Guardians/mini gunners especially.

Eml turrets are weak vs infantry numbers and have much less hp than bunkers, which are only strong vs infantry. Both take away your population count by 5  so thats 5 less units per base defense you use.  Structures are weak against MRLS, Mortars, and Bombers. Using armor vs Bunkers, and infantry/ aircraft vs EML turrets. Try dogging laser shots, as well. Dogging is a big part of Annex.

I haven't  gotten a chance to play vs ever so i never got to really test it. :(

Mr War

« Reply #237 on: 26 August 2011, 05:41:18 »
Quote from: Ishmaru
Try dogging laser shots, as well. Dogging is a big part of Annex.

Dogging? Man please tell me that's a typo :o

claymore

« Reply #238 on: 26 August 2011, 10:44:21 »
I don't really echo Titi's concerns since he did attack me on my only well-defended front (on the left side I had nothing :p), without siege units, and the Emi turrets did suck up a lot of my population slots. I think the balancing is pretty good actually, from what little we've played, though I do expect many changes will be needed. Spamming doesn't seem a hugely effectively strategy, which is good.

Anyway, our game was fun in the beginning, but eventually things just fizzled out... tomreyn was low on credit... I had run out of population slots, partly due to my EMI turrets, partly due to my mostly idle harvesters. Here are some of my gameplay concerns:

• I don't think the two-tier format works very well; upgrading to the next tier is virtually the first thing you do, with no real need for considering the best time to do it. Maybe add a new tier pre-requisite for heroes, MRLS, bombers etc. While we're on bombers, it apparently only takes up one population slot? And there are two create hero icons in the Refinery?
  • There's no real incentive to expand. Even less so than in megapack MG, since there are no drop-off buildings for harvesters. I'd like to at least be able to build new Refineries. Warehouses could be drop-off points, couldn't they?
  • Ore/Credit depletes without being replaced. So in theory and in practice, it's quite possible to run out and bring the game to a standstill. Tiberian Sun counters this by having ore slowly respawn in some areas. Harvesters could double up as fighting units with a late-game upgrade, so you could free up some population slots and explore for new credit a bit more freely.
  • Air defence is a bit lacking. Perhaps give Strikers a weak ground attack to encourage their creation, and maybe create a base defense that targets air units?
@Mr War: I'm guessing he means dodging?

treba

« Reply #239 on: 26 August 2011, 12:31:16 »
i would agree on the point of expanding. in the moment, there is no point of getting the map control, because the only interesting recources are the ones close to you.
having the opportunity to expand would make you fight more for recources.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: 26 August 2011, 13:07:40 »
speaking of ressources, I think each crystal should hold a bit more ressources. The map is cleared too fast.
« Last Edit: 7 September 2011, 07:57:17 by titi »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 26 August 2011, 14:12:37 »
I don't think the two-tier format works very well; upgrading to the next tier is virtually the first thing you do.
I like the two tier format but I agree this needs to change. Maybe making the upgrade more expensive or require you to build a silo and tech centre?

Warehouses could be drop-off points, couldn't they?
Agree, it gets congested when 6-8 harvesters are trying to thread their way into the centre of your base!

Ore/Credit depletes without being replaced. So in theory and in practice, it's quite possible to run out and bring the game to a standstill.
I think there should be less resource points with more resource in each point, keeping the game going but encouraging the players to expand and fight for more resources. Currently you simply collect the resource near to your base, then those slightly further out. This tends to lead to a symmetry where you meet the opposition in the middle having both run out of resource.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #242 on: 27 August 2011, 13:31:24 »
Admittingly, I never played annex multiplayer beside 1 coop match with a non RTS player, lol i had to tech him basics of movement, and I myself is not a multiplayer rts player so i have no idea how veterans would play this game. It would be nice to see how others pay it and get more of an idea of how game should be balanced.

That being said let me answer some stuff.

Technically I consider annex having 3 tiers T1 Starting units,  T2 Advanced Weapons (tank, mortars, gunships) , T3 Units requiring silo or tech lab (mrls, walkers, harriers, guardians).

Yes advancement to tier 2 is more of a speed thing, Tier 1 is more about reconnaissance, and getting your base up and running. Upgrading to tier 2 after your first factory. Tier 2 is your base gameplay, as you will use these units till end of match, tier 3 are your closers, and heavy hitters, and weapons based on what strategies you want to use.

Claymore is right about the turrets they are powerful but more defensive you get the less military size you get. ANd btw all units take 1 population point EXCEPT Harvesters, Bunkers, and EML Turrets. The more harvesters you have the less your population count could be so don't create a huge amount.

Resource management is different, as i did not want it based on expansion. You start with your refinery, and basic workers which give you a trickle of supplies, until you get Harvesters, which are much better at carrying credits for farther crystal patches. The idea is that instead of you building small bases around crystal patches you have to send harvesters outside your base parameters, leaving them vulnerable to attack. So making it a more of a risk and reward system.

Ps Vs Ai I've only build a maximum of 3-4 harvesters, I was surprised to hear 6-8 being used. Ill get around this my making them size 1. Since they will be size 1 maybe they will be upgradeable from workers.

I want resources to expire fast, but maybe ill increase amount per crystal to 45 or 50 (currently 40)

Strikers are one of the few ground units that could attack air units, doesn't need anymore encouragement than that :) I've been debating the Anti air defense for a while, but with strikers, and harriers there really is no need for them. perhaps anti air units need to be stronger?

As for hero, there are two icons in the refinery because there is no better way to create an "OR" requirement, meaning you need EITHER a tech lab OR a Silo to make Hero. As such one icon is for Tech lab requirement and other is for Silo The different structures also gives you access to different super weapons, eg Silo grants nuke ability, Tech Lab gives you beam attack ability. Speaking of witch, what are your opinions about the superweapons? Are they balanced well?

claymore

« Reply #243 on: 27 August 2011, 16:22:06 »
Quote from: Ishmaru
ANd btw all units take 1 population point EXCEPT Harvesters, Bunkers, and EML Turrets. The more harvesters you have the less your population count could be so don't create a huge amount.

Oh, right... I was sure some vehicles took up more, oh well.

Technically I consider annex having 3 tiers T1 Starting units,  T2 Advanced Weapons (tank, mortars, gunships) , T3 Units requiring silo or tech lab (mrls, walkers, harriers, guardians).

Yes advancement to tier 2 is more of a speed thing, Tier 1 is more about reconnaissance, and getting your base up and running. Upgrading to tier 2 after your first factory. Tier 2 is your base gameplay, as you will use these units till end of match, tier 3 are your closers, and heavy hitters, and weapons based on what strategies you want to use.

I'm not sure how much reconnaissance is likely to happen with workers. :) I suppose you could chuck one or two into the wilderness since you start with so many. Could give a dedicated scout. But in any case, Tier 2 is about the fastest mouse. So fair enough with what you consider to be Tier 3, but I still think Tier 2 is pretty pointless. Though other games do this sort of thing too.

You start with your refinery, and basic workers which give you a trickle of supplies, until you get Harvesters, which are much better at carrying credits for farther crystal patches. The idea is that instead of you building small bases around crystal patches you have to send harvesters outside your base parameters, leaving them vulnerable to attack. So making it a more of a risk and reward system.

That's all very well... but building base expansions can be risky too, and the lack of drop-off points slows down everyone's gathering at a time when everyone could really do with a boost.

Strikers are one of the few ground units that could attack air units, doesn't need anymore encouragement than that :) I've been debating the Anti air defense for a while, but with strikers, and harriers there really is no need for them. perhaps anti air units need to be stronger?

What bothers me about strikers is that (to me) there isn't much incentive to create them unless you know for sure that your opponent has air units. I suppose you can leave one or two hanging around your base for air defence, but you're unlikely to want to include them as part of an attack force... until your whole army gets obliterated by a single Gunship.

As for hero, there are two icons in the refinery because there is no better way to create an "OR" requirement, meaning you need EITHER a tech lab OR a Silo to make Hero. As such one icon is for Tech lab requirement and other is for Silo The different structures also gives you access to different super weapons, eg Silo grants nuke ability, Tech Lab gives you beam attack ability. Speaking of witch, what are your opinions about the superweapons? Are they balanced well?

Oh, I see. It just looks odd. That's not a bad idea actually, having each building grant him a different superweapon. Haven't seen the superweapons in action enough to be able to say how balanced they are, unfortunately. Seems okay so far...

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #244 on: 28 August 2011, 18:24:17 »
I'm not sure how much reconnaissance is likely to happen with workers. :) I suppose you could chuck one or two into the wilderness since you start with so many. Could give a dedicated scout. But in any case, Tier 2 is about the fastest mouse. So fair enough with what you consider to be Tier 3, but I still think Tier 2 is pretty pointless. Though other games do this sort of thing too.

Grunts have high vision + Ifv high speed = reconnaissance. Plan to move scout drones back to being produced at barracks instead of hangar as its useless by tier 2.

That's all very well... but building base expansions can be risky too, and the lack of drop-off points slows down everyone's gathering at a time when everyone could really do with a boost.

I plan on redesigning harvesters so they will be size 1 to reduce overcrowding issue. Not big on base expansion idea as i wanted to escape that mechanic completely.

What bothers me about strikers is that (to me) there isn't much incentive to create them unless you know for sure that your opponent has air units. I suppose you can leave one or two hanging around your base for air defence, but you're unlikely to want to include them as part of an attack force... until your whole army gets obliterated by a single Gunship.

I'm ging to strengthen anti air, but leave their usefulness up to you, if your opponent don't make any air don't make anti air, just know that you are extremely vulnerable. I personally make either 3 strikers or 2 harriers and have them as their own control group. leave them far behind main force, and call them in when im attacked by air units.  Rocket grunts and gunships are only units capable of attacking both ground and air.

SnEptUne

• Swordman
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 4 September 2011, 23:06:50 »

I have fixed the filename and moved some files to create a faction-only version for a Linux for megaglest.  This makes it easier to install as an Addon.

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qdd87d27t57c2dw/annex_beta1.7z
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 15:28:10 by filux »

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #246 on: 7 September 2011, 01:13:16 »

I have fixed the filename and moved some files to create a faction-only version for a Linux for megaglest.  This makes it easier to install as an Addon.

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qdd87d27t57c2dw/annex_beta1.7z

What needed to be changed for a Linux Version? (i have no idea)

I still plan on releasing as standalone, but want to make sure cross platform will be possible.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 15:28:41 by filux »

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 7 September 2011, 02:11:17 »
You should be able to extract his 7z into a temp folder and use the open source tool winmerge to show the differences

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 7 September 2011, 08:02:39 »
the secret is: don't use any upcase letters in filenames for linux! The problem is that for examples in g3ds soem textures are referensed like this:

->texture.png

but in the filesystem the texture is called:

TextTure.png

This will fail on linux because Linux is case sensitive. It works in windows because for windows  "TextTure.png" and "texture.png" is the same...
What I did was to rename all files to downcase letters. This made it work.

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #249 on: 9 September 2011, 22:23:02 »
Thanks ill check what titi linux version did.

Aside has anyone tried the other techtrees included?

anything