Author Topic: How to use normal maps?  (Read 1382 times)

ChupaReaper

How to use normal maps?
« on: 4 February 2011, 11:32:05 »
how do I add normal maps, do I have to reference them in XML, save the normal map texture with the same name as a model texture but with _n or something or does it have to be set in blender before exporting the model?

Edit: Off topic, I can't find info on how to use the stealth/cloaking features on the wiki either, anywhere I can find out how all these new features are used and if there's any features I don't know about yet?
« Last Edit: 4 February 2011, 11:59:48 by ChupaReaper »

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: How to use normal maps?
« Reply #1 on: 4 February 2011, 12:00:03 »
They need the same name as the diffuse texture, with _normal added to the end, before the extension, obviously ;)

However, the normal mapping is defective on the version you have now built yourself... It has been fixed, but the fixes haven't been "pushed" onto the sourceforge repo yet because I got it mixed up with some other (incomplete) work on the renderer.

I was hoping to have that finished, merged & pushed next week some time... but I'll have a look and see if I can't extract it cleanly, or just disable the other stuff, so I can push it this weekend.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

ChupaReaper

« Reply #2 on: 4 February 2011, 12:06:25 »
Cool thanks, I'll start gathering all my normal maps in a folder somewhere ready to move across in gae.
Also I found a Cloaking topic which explains how to use that so I'm going to give that a try.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 4 February 2011, 12:13:48 »
Cool thanks, I'll start gathering all my normal maps in a folder somewhere ready to move across in gae.
Also I found a Cloaking topic which explains how to use that so I'm going to give that a try.

Cool, I imagine for most of the models in your mod it wouldn't make much sense, but in case you have specular maps for any of them lying around, you may want to collect those too ;) [for future use, might be a few weeks before we get around to adding the support for them].
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

ChupaReaper

« Reply #4 on: 4 February 2011, 13:00:50 »
Ahh, I have a lot of specular maps too, I'll get them sorted too, GAE is going to look very pretty!
Do bump maps work on map surfaces? And will spec maps be _specular?