Author Topic: Units: Protection Units  (Read 1608 times)

ChupaReaper

Units: Protection Units
« on: 4 February 2011, 22:55:48 »
units that sheild other units from damage/effects. What units they can protect and what they can protect them from should be adjustable too.
One of my future factions is going to be all about defence and healing so it would be interesting to see two units that can work together, one protecting the healer and the other healing the protector.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: Units: Protection Units
« Reply #1 on: 4 February 2011, 23:07:50 »
units that sheild other units from damage/effects. What units they can protect and what they can protect them from should be adjustable too.
One of my future factions is going to be all about defence and healing so it would be interesting to see two units that can work together, one protecting the healer and the other healing the protector.
How is this different from emanations?

ChupaReaper

« Reply #2 on: 5 February 2011, 00:44:00 »
Different because the unit sort of links to a target unit, or maybe this could be implemented into effects and also emanations. When linked all damage the target unit takes is taken by the protector unit instead, also all bad effects put on the target unit could also be taken by the protector unit instead. Whether or not negative emanations and splash damage can be taken by the protector unit saving the target unit could also be set.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #3 on: 5 February 2011, 03:45:17 »
Hmmm, this sounds more like a pet system thing.
You mean like, All units that target unit A fire will be redirected to unit B?
Or maybe All damage HP lost by Unit A will be transferred to Unit B?

ChupaReaper

« Reply #4 on: 5 February 2011, 11:37:41 »
Hmmm, this sounds more like a pet system thing.
You mean like, All units that target unit A fire will be redirected to unit B?
Or maybe All damage HP lost by Unit A will be transferred to Unit B?

Either one way or another, would be cool if both were made possible for some unit variation but mainly all damage lost by A is transferred to B but without limiting it to a pet system, for example I plan to have a really powerful unit protect multiple smaller units by loosing health instead of them, this protection is applied through an emanation. Also I'd have another powerful unit that takes all negative effects when its protected units are afflicted with them, so unit A gets an effect that reduces it's attack range but it is being protected by unit B's protection emanation so unit B gets the effect instead.
« Last Edit: 5 February 2011, 11:57:57 by ChupaReaper »

Conzar

« Reply #5 on: 5 February 2011, 11:47:11 »
Does emanations cover the case where a unit casts a big shield?  The shield takes all damage until the shield is destroyed.  Or is this case also something that can be covered by the ideas in this thread?

ChupaReaper

« Reply #6 on: 5 February 2011, 12:01:39 »
It could be used as a shield, easily, have a unit create a shield, and that unit protects all other units until the shielding unit takes too much damage.

This could maybe be used as an effect/emanation, here is effect protection:
Note: If a unit were to protect itself, it would simply take its own damage and/or effects as normal.
Type="effects" means that only effects are absorbed, this could be set to "emanations" or to "all" instead.
Code: [Select]
<emanations>
<emanation name="effect_protection" bias="beneficial" stacking="overwrite" duration="5" target="ally" radius="16">
<affects>
<...affected units here/>
</affects>
<flags>
<absorbs-detrimental-effects type="effects"/>
</flags>
</emanation>
</emanations>

This would absorb health:
Absorbs-damage value is a percentage that is absorbed, in this case 1.0 is all damage, but weaker units could maybe offer something like 25% protection, var allows for variation just like attack damage or health stealing through attacks and type allows what kinda of damage to be specified (damage multipliers) all would mean all kinda of damage is absorbed. Damage='true' means the protecting units takes all the damage it is absorbing, this could be the default but if set to false, this unit does not take the damage it absorbs and thus you can have a unit that creates a large shield that protects all units from damage until the shielding unit is destroyed.
<emanations>
<emanation name="health_protection" bias="beneficial" stacking="overwrite" duration="5" target="ally" radius="16">
<affects>
</affects>
<flags>
<absorbs-damage value="100" var="0" type="all" damaged='true'/>
</flags>
</emanation>
</emanations>

This could be used to absorb beneficial effects from opponents and becomes the opposite of protection:
<emanations>
<emanation name="effect_steal" bias="detrimental" stacking="overwrite" duration="5" target="foe" radius="16">
<affects>
</affects>
<flags>
<absorbs-beneficial-effects type="both"/>
</flags>
</emanation>
</emanations>

Maybe <absorbs-damage value="-50" var="10" type="all"/> would mean that all damage taken by a unit is shared to other units instead, so with a negative value it does the opposite, this could have some very interesting uses.

Zoythrus

« Reply #7 on: 5 February 2011, 17:05:03 »
i really like this idea!

if this was implemented, then the defense unit should be called the "Scapegoat." (yeah, isnt that awesome?)

i could see tons of applications for this....

ChupaReaper

« Reply #8 on: 7 February 2011, 13:40:09 »
i really like this idea!

if this was implemented, then the defense unit should be called the "Scapegoat." (yeah, isnt that awesome?)

i could see tons of applications for this....

Yea, could create simple wooden shields (like those in the Stronghold series if any know of it), all units standing close to the shield doesn't receive ranged damage.

anything