Author Topic: Glest forks to join forces?  (Read 41258 times)

ChupaReaper

Re: Glest forks to join forces?
« Reply #100 on: 17 March 2011, 20:24:27 »
Super Special Awesome Glest! I think this is the most practical of names!
Nah I think Glest 4.0 is good so long as it's just called Glest in game of course. Can refer to it as the G4 Engine which sounds pretty cool too! :D
A year sounds long but it isn't really, I can barely remember 2010 existing at all! Just make sure you get it out before 21/12/2012 or whatever date the apocalypse is!
I'll continue to work on my project so that by the time Super Special Awesome Glest is stable I'll have three factions out ready, maybe nearly four.

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #101 on: 17 March 2011, 21:54:16 »
@John: Most of the downloads MG has ever gotten come from people that have already downloaded Glest. Basically most download Glest, all download Glest/MG/GAE, and few download only MG/GAE. You can't split them apart that's not simply unrealistic.
Actually, that isn't really true anymore...

Well, you guys talking doesn't really make a difference/help out the merge...maybe actually  testing out the present forks would be nice. After all we're not using a new project as the central codebase... In the end it'll just be a question whether the Glest Team agrees or not, after that the teams will decide...

charlieg

« Reply #102 on: 18 March 2011, 01:43:22 »
Well, my final suggestion is to do one of two things:

1) Continue with the Glest brand - if the devs allow; Glest 4 (with optional tagline)

2) New brand - new name, officially fork and move away from the Glest name

Do (1) if you can, but if you can't, do (2) otherwise you'll be living in the shadow of Glest for quite some time to come.

/0.02c

As pointed out by others, the choice is that of the developers; it's their hard work after all.

Zoythrus

« Reply #103 on: 18 March 2011, 03:00:02 »
i was thinking, should the devs make the game work before adding multiplayer? i think that multiplayer should be on the end of the list.....

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #104 on: 18 March 2011, 03:16:28 »
"Make the game work"? Multiplayer is one of the top priorities, as it's basically the only/biggest thing that  "doesn't/wouldn't work" during the start of the merge, I think. Let's just leave that to the developers though. I have an idea of what is going to happen, but things might change.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 18 March 2011, 03:41:38 »
That's like asking if they're going to add a roof before or after making a house that "works".  If it doesn't have a roof, it's not a working house. :P

Zoythrus

« Reply #106 on: 18 March 2011, 05:52:42 »
"works" as in "playable." multiplayer is great, but they need to stabilize the game first. (or multiplayer will not work at all!)

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #107 on: 18 March 2011, 06:11:29 »
 :O You don't understand, even if everything else was implemented and decided first...once Softcoder starts replacing GAE's multiplayer code with MG, it would be unstable anyways...I think it would be even more unstable... But, anyways, Softcoder doesn't really have time in the later part of this year, he'll be busy for a reason.  :| Anyways, if you want to speed the merge up, help test GAE Git-Master...I should too but I've been busy recently :/ I'll try to do that in my free time next week.

MirceaKitsune

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 18 March 2011, 12:19:29 »
i was thinking, should the devs make the game work before adding multiplayer? i think that multiplayer should be on the end of the list.....

Multiplayer already exists in all versions of Glest. So I'd imagine it would need to be removed on purpose during the merge, which I don't think I would personally support.

Of course, other parts need stabilized first, and multiplayer would come later on. Just not sure if multiplayer should be removed during this time, rather than still kept in the menu (to be tested and stuff) even if it would possibly not work much at first. And as long as it wouldn't brake anything either, and the worst that can happen is just a crash.

Anyways, if you want to speed the merge up, help test GAE Git-Master...I should too but I've been busy recently :/ I'll try to do that in my free time next week.

If GAE GIT's cmake setup was better, I gladly would. I tried getting it to compile last night, and cmake asks for dependencies not in the deps package for GAE, and that I can't find anywhere. They're not mentioned on the Windows Compiling wiki of GAE either from what I seen.

I would be happy if someone could make GAE compile just like MG (checkout the GIT / SVN repo, unpack the dependencies in a folder, open the sln file, and all compiles). If anyone can do this, I would appreciate it, and it would be easier to help test it as well.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2011, 12:26:32 by MirceaKitsune »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #109 on: 18 March 2011, 18:51:07 »
I would be happy if someone could make GAE compile just like MG (checkout the GIT / SVN repo, unpack the dependencies in a folder, open the sln file, and all compiles). If anyone can do this, I would appreciate it, and it would be easier to help test it as well.
So in short, you want a solution with the source code and dependancies included? I don't think the most recent version of GAE has that, though a rare occasional version did get that before. It has the big disadvantage of being very hard to keep up-to-date though, and you wouldn't be able to use it with the master, as every time some one commited something... Of course, you can always try the Wiki page for learning how to compile GAE easier. https://docs.megaglest.org/GAE/Windows_Compiling
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 18:18:33 by filux »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #110 on: 18 March 2011, 21:58:16 »
Omega stop linking to that wiki page! Can't you see it's outdated? GAE uses GIT now...  ::)
I tried updating it recently, but I had some problems so I couldn't update it...I'll try again later.

If GAE GIT's cmake setup was better, I gladly would. I tried getting it to compile last night, and cmake asks for dependencies not in the deps package for GAE, and that I can't find anywhere. They're not mentioned on the Windows Compiling wiki of GAE either from what I seen.
Well, you are using this page right?
I suppose you could help test GAE Git-Master, make sure all the features work and no bugs...etc.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/glestae/wiki/CompileGuideWin
It is a bit more complicated and everything...but you can just post a thread with a screenshot of the exact error and the GAE team/others will help you.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 19 March 2011, 03:00:41 »
I don't know how to compile things on Windows, but the git address for GAE master is git://glestae.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/glestae/glestae so maybe you can figure it out from there.  The compilation itself shouldn't be any different from when it was on SVN, right?

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 19 March 2011, 04:19:31 »
People should be using https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/glestae/wiki/CompileGuide to compile like ultifd posted. I've modified the wikia so it points to this link now.

I updated the win deps with libjpeg-turbo a few weeks ago and everything appeared to be there. If not let me know and I can add it. To get a list of the deps look at the Linux compile guide. The only difference with the Windows deps is SDL isn't used and DirectSound is used instead of OpenAL (it has been planned to make it more consistent across platforms). Also the compiler used is different but that's not a library dependency.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2011, 04:21:50 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

MirceaKitsune

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 8 April 2011, 22:45:06 »
Well, someone said the actual merge will begin next month a few weeks ago. It's already 9 April here, so I'm guessing it should have began or is close to starting. I'd like to know if there are any new news :)

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #114 on: 8 April 2011, 22:50:27 »
Well, let's see...doesn't look like it. I think we need more people to test GAE, and maybe MG too...  :| I'm beginning to have doubts because it seems we only have a few people who help testing...excluding the developers, of course.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #115 on: 8 April 2011, 23:57:52 »
They can't get started until both forks have stabilized their current features... Of course, they also need to stop adding features... :P

Toney

« Reply #116 on: 12 May 2011, 07:08:49 »
Well, let's see...doesn't look like it. I think we need more people to test GAE, and maybe MG too...  :| I'm beginning to have doubts because it seems we only have a few people who help testing...excluding the developers, of course.
Hi guys. I like Glest very much and I wish to help MG and AE to unite in one big powerful MegaGlestAE or Glest 4. I will test both engines on Linux, just tell me what do you need to be tested. I had a look at https://docs.megaglest.org/Engines#Comparison_of_the_Engines and I think that every line must be "Yes" in united project, especially feature of saving/loading the game. Good luck! I`m waiting for testing instructions. My jabber is toney@jabber.org.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 15:44:23 by filux »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 12 May 2011, 07:25:39 »
Hi guys. I like Glest very much and I wish to help MG and AE to unite in one big powerful MegaGlestAE or Glest 4. I will test both engines on Linux, just tell me what do you need to be tested. I had a look at https://docs.megaglest.org/Engines#Comparison_of_the_Engines and I think that every line must be "Yes" in united project, especially feature of saving/loading the game. Good luck! I`m waiting for testing instructions. My jabber is toney@jabber.org.
A good starting point would be to get the compile the latest SVN version of MG and the latest git master of GAE, play them both, and report any bugs that you find.  Do you know how to use SVN, git, and cmake?  If you find a bug in GAE, post a report on the GAE board.  If you find a bug in MG, post a report on the MG board.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 15:43:57 by filux »

Toney

« Reply #118 on: 12 May 2011, 07:39:45 »
OK. Do I have to compile MG or is it enough to use precompiled 3.5.1 binary?

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #119 on: 12 May 2011, 07:53:21 »
Welcome!
For MG it's probably OK to use the precompilied binary, for GAE it's better to compile Git-Master.
Guides:
https://docs.megaglest.org/MG/Linux_Compiling
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/glestae/wiki/CompileGuideLinux

GAE To-do list

We use IRC though, #glest on freenode. You'll usually find at least one of the megaglest developers there at most times, and sometimes there's a GAE developer there too.

Happy Testing!

Zoythrus

« Reply #120 on: 12 May 2011, 18:19:53 »
hey, i was thinking, to help lighten the load on the programmers, i want us to think of what features we would like from both engines (so they wont have to wonder what the community would like).
here's what i would like.

from GAE:
addons folder
cloaking
teleportation
naval units
shaders
transport units
the GUI (GAE's is much better looking than MG's)

from MG:
cliffs
multiplayer
Glest tools
stability!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 12 May 2011, 19:21:11 »
My impression is that the developers' answer to that is: "All of them!"

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #122 on: 12 May 2011, 21:54:13 »
Yep, I think they will try their best to include all of them, except some that might have some conflicts I guess.

Zoythrus

« Reply #123 on: 13 May 2011, 00:53:56 »
Yep, I think they will try their best to include all of them, except some that might have some conflicts I guess.

that's why i said what i did, it's just in case there are any conflicts with features, those are what i would want

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #124 on: 13 May 2011, 04:24:22 »
As well, I'd prefer GAE's folder structure and phsyFS.