Author Topic: Improving your brain performance  (Read 1498 times)

Gabbe

Improving your brain performance
« on: 21 February 2011, 22:58:32 »
www.lumosity.com

It uses science based around neuroplasticy to increase brain-performance in fast thinking and remembering. Neuroplasticy is basically the science about the neurons making up your brain, those neurons change over time, especially if they are triggered to. So lumosity have "Games" designed to increase your brains performance rate and change the neural connections wich makes up the neural network of your brain. I`ve been using lumosity steady course for a year now, but i can`t see my difference, maybe the people i am with have, so just a personal question, over the course of the year, have I improved my "logical" thinking or reason or become more intellectual i dont have a word for it, but i hope you get the point?

I reccomend everyone to atleast try and use it very much, if it helps you think faster and remember more, its got to be worth your time really, especially if your doing tech stuff as i think most here do. SO what do you think? is it possible to become smarter than you were designed? :P

You can read more about neuroplasticy at wikipedia ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

Also are you familiar with other services offering this?

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Improving your brain performance
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2011, 05:30:40 »
Well, you've stopped typing as if in a chat room. :P
I think playing extremely fast-paced games like CoD is a good way to improve reflexes. To improve "logical thinking" music is good, as well CoD(or any such game) does force you to create logical ways to move about, if you don't logically path things out you end up with a linear playing style(like most console gamers) where you just walk around randomly until you find someone(and that ain't pretty, cause you usually get shot in the side, or knifed from behind. :P I've noticed my reflexes become like 5 times better with my CoD hobby. ;)

is it possible to become smarter than you were designed?

Well we were obviously designed to be able to expand our knowledge and train our minds. Meditation is a great example of training your mind.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Gabbe

« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2011, 08:17:32 »
Yes it is prooven that shooter games increase your reaction time significantly, not just cod, but shooters in general. I`ve seen some tests were players of the popular Counter Strike Source. Also the ones that played in clans with voice chat had increased their speed in speaking rate by 20~ percent. So from this i come to the conclusion of taht games increase performance were it is needed. SO you can easilly adapt to your daily routines, wich in this case would be fast reaction times and quickly inform others of what your position is and what observations you have. Also i have found it extremely, and i mean EXTREMELY annoying when people interrupt with what i do, especially when gaming. Probably because it demands very high level of concentration. So i think that playing games demanding full focus gives you more concentration skills, very good to help out when at school. Lots of irritation-causers there...

So summarize arch you belive in neuroplasticy? :P (Because if you change your neural network you will gain knowledge and get a more efficiant neural network to accomplish more and more demanding tasks even quicker than before)

I suggest you try out lumosity, even though the games might seem even boring, its only three short games a day, obviously you could do these in  the morning somewere, just to get done with your daily training. It also manages your routine so that you can pick what skills you want to improve on the most. Such as i picked memory and concentration as my first priorities, and then i get tests that helps me improve on those areas.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2011, 11:55:52 »
Yes it is prooven that shooter games increase your reaction time significantly, not just cod, but shooters in general. I`ve seen some tests were players of the popular Counter Strike Source. Also the ones that played in clans with voice chat had increased their speed in speaking rate by 20~ percent. So from this i come to the conclusion of taht games increase performance were it is needed. SO you can easilly adapt to your daily routines, wich in this case would be fast reaction times and quickly inform others of what your position is and what observations you have. Also i have found it extremely, and i mean EXTREMELY annoying when people interrupt with what i do, especially when gaming. Probably because it demands very high level of concentration. So i think that playing games demanding full focus gives you more concentration skills, very good to help out when at school. Lots of irritation-causers there...
CoD is just one of the faster-paced shooters with low health, one-hit melee, and close-quarters all in one. :P The fact that you can shoot through most things makes it even more tactical.

So summarize arch you belive in neuroplasticy? Tongue (Because if you change your neural network you will gain knowledge and get a more efficiant neural network to accomplish more and more demanding tasks even quicker than before)
Well it's pretty obviously true. :P

I suggest you try out lumosity, even though the games might seem even boring, its only three short games a day, obviously you could do these in  the morning somewere, just to get done with your daily training. It also manages your routine so that you can pick what skills you want to improve on the most. Such as i picked memory and concentration as my first priorities, and then i get tests that helps me improve on those areas.
I'm guessing the memory one's weren't constructive cause you seem to have forgotten that you're a troll. :P My CoD hobby is good enough for me dude. ;)
Egypt Remastered!

wyvern

« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2011, 16:12:39 »
The reflex thing with video games is true, but if you become a couch potato because of it, its not worth it, a person should try to reach a balance of body and mind, like what the ancient greeks strove to achieve, at any rate, the thing about improving brain performance is definitely very interesting. :o

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2011, 04:24:30 »
The reflex thing with video games is true, but if you become a couch potato because of it, its not worth it, a person should try to reach a balance of body and mind, like what the ancient greeks strove to achieve, at any rate, the thing about improving brain performance is definitely very interesting. :o

I'm in shape, I work out a little and jog some. I think I have a good couch-uptime ratio. :P
Egypt Remastered!

wyvern

« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2011, 02:42:56 »
I'm not saying anything meant to be insulting, its just that I have some friends who spend all their time playing video games

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2011, 03:04:31 »
Spending all your time doing any one thing is bound to mess a person up because it takes away from all the other things they could be doing.  Even too much exercise or too much education can be bad, if one gets in the way of the other and leaves you ignorant or unhealthy.

Gabbe

« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2011, 13:52:32 »
 :thumbup: Exactely John D.H (I feel this was going to archs MW2 addiction buty oh well ;)  no offense ).

Thats why lumosity offers you a "Daily" practize thing wich requires only you to do three short games, each only lasting a couple of minutes, sometimes less than a minute.