Author Topic: Addon Manager  (Read 1322 times)

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Addon Manager
« on: 22 February 2011, 08:43:05 »
What the title says! I'm pretty sure everyone wants this. Would also be very helpful when there are more addons like Project Green. I don't know where you would manage it, but the custom game menu is probably not a good idea, as it would be bad for the merge. But I guess we wouldn't have to worry about that because this would probably come after the merge, I guess.

Conzar

Re: Addon Manager
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2011, 11:01:15 »
What do you think of this architecture?
* Client contacts a website (url) that contains a list of mods and the download locations (the list can be easily updated and the client can easily change the location to the url that contains the mods)
* The download locations should be from file hosting sites like mod-db and sourceforge

This method doesn't require a master server that handles serving the downloads, only a list of mods and their locations.  The client can also have its own list of mods and downloads so that if the server that contains the url is inaccessible, the client can still access the mods (since they are hosted elsewhere). 

The drawback to not having a master server is that we won't be able to have fancy features like mod ratings, mod comments, and etc.  This of course could be achieved by a website but who really wants to code up a website for doing this (and you would have to go out of game to access the site)?

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2011, 11:32:02 »
This is already ticket 209.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2011, 19:20:40 »
This is already ticket 209.
Sorry, I searched before I posted and I couldn't find that. Well, we should have a thread about it anyways...I guess.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2011, 19:39:01 »
This has been discussed in the past, but the topic just sort of...died down.

My offer of the Glest Guide is still open, as I plan to purchase a hosting plan soon (at the moment, I am still within the boundaries of the free plan, but eventually, it's going to need an upgrade for sure). Since the Glest Guide's MDC (Mod Download Center) will have a new format akin to other download sites such as download.com, with the ability to upload your mod, give the information about it, and the next version will smooth out the rating system and allow comments :o. I propose we tailor a future addon manager around this by having it browse the MDC, catching the download. The MDC will supply the information about the mod, such as the engine and the folder structure (ie: the MDC will tell the addons manager the mod is to be installled as a GAE addon. Or it might say the mod is to be installed by copying it to the techs folder and extracting it there). (ideally, it would be all addons, but we obviously can't depend on modders to do this, as seen by the very low number of modders that are doing so [bad modder, bad!]).

For the reference, and to encourage people to use the addons method, I'll explain it here:

The addons method is simply a type of folder structure. It's biggest advantage is that it works on ALL THREE ENGINES! In GAE, just place the compressed archive in the addons folder (fantastically easy for beginners and those who are not technologically experienced!). In MG and vanilla Glest, just extract it in your Glest folder. Bam, done, and no worries about checking if you got the right folder level (this has murdered newbies in the past a lot. I've got entire email folders of it). Secondly, it doesn't permit you, the modder, from placing foolish extra folders in just because you felt like it. It permits you to not require a program that can extract 7z, as GAE can play the mod in the 7z format (though, MG and vanilla Glest users will still have to extract it). And finally, it reduces filesize, as not only can you distribute as a nice little 7z, but GAE users don't even have to extact that, saving more space.

Sure, the biggest changes only affect GAE, but it makes life easier for MG and Glest too, even if not as much. The bottom line: use the addons method.

As a note though, we should start crucifying people who use rar compression, for its largest incompatibility with the addons folder and the fact they're supporting a commercial format over the free, open source 7z (which gives better filesize anyway). :bomb:
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2011, 19:41:17 »
I know, but it's kinda annoying currently when you have addons like Project Green, that don't really mix with each other. In the past it was fine, but eventually we would have these types of addons.