Author Topic: MD5 Model Format (or variant)  (Read 11230 times)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: MD5 Model Format (or variant)
« Reply #25 on: 11 March 2011, 07:33:50 »
Oh well I have a Radeon HD 5870, so I'm not too worried with over 2 terraFLOPs. ;D

Anyway I think default should be 4.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 March 2011, 08:23:13 »
Truth be told, you could make the most sophisticated animation on a super high-poly model with a high-resolution texture, and it wouldn't look appreciably better in Glest than a much simpler unit.  Keep in mind that everything is from a bird's eye view here.

If this is only a limit on the number of bones that can directly influence a vertex, then we should still be able to go crazy with target bones and other such things like on that spider, right?

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 March 2011, 08:28:03 »
If this is only a limit on the number of bones that can directly influence a vertex, then we should still be able to go crazy with target bones and other such things like on that spider, right?

I have to think about that.   I think the shader will have to have a configured maximum number of bones in all too, but you can always have more bones by having submodels.  Anyway, this maximum number of bones per mesh is going to be quite high and nothing to worry about with spiders and things.

ChupaReaper

« Reply #28 on: 11 March 2011, 08:50:45 »
File size will be drastically reduced regardless:

Werewolf.md5mesh 469KB         
Werewolf_Idle.md5anim 28KB      vs   Werewolf_Idle.g3d 1,218KB
Werewolf_Move.md5anim 41KB   vs   Werewolf_Move.g3d 1,610KB
Werewolf_Attack.md5anim 24KB   vs   Werewolf_Attack.g3d 826KB
Werewolf_Death.md5anim 27KB   vs   Werewolf_Death.g3d 1,218KB
Total: 589KB   vs   4,872KB

As you can see, there is a huge file size difference and also similar meshes can share md5anims too so if you keep your skeletons under a nice format you may not have to animate as much and can save a few KBs, not that is matters that much, what with how much you save in comparison to G3D. Overall it's ~8x smaller with the bonus of animation sharing which could save even more space with similar models. With my mod I'm struggling to handle to factions, with md5 I should be able to handle 8 no problem and I'm only going for 5.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 12:22:56 by ChupaReaper »

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 March 2011, 08:54:31 »
excellent stats!  Any chance of seeing the numbers after 7zipping those two versions - MD5 and G3D - in separate archives?

ChupaReaper

« Reply #30 on: 11 March 2011, 12:24:14 »
excellent stats!  Any chance of seeing the numbers after 7zipping those two versions - MD5 and G3D - in separate archives?
Ok so all the Werewolf md5 files (mesh and anims) compressed into 7zip with ultra compression are 128KB.
The g3d files are make up a much bigger 7zip of 2.47MB! That's nearly 20x bigger  :o!
« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 15:38:22 by ChupaReaper »

ChupaReaper

« Reply #31 on: 13 February 2012, 14:16:38 »
I been away from these forums for a while, any news on a new model format? I'm redoing my project to use less models so the file sizes are less of a problem now, it's the skeletal animation that would be the most useful.