Author Topic: Blender and the main menu model  (Read 1648 times)

anonymousjim

Blender and the main menu model
« on: 7 March 2011, 17:41:14 »
Hi all,

I'm working on a total conversion mod of megaglest (see my sig), and I was rather hoping I would be able to change the model in the main menu.  So, I built myself a model and alligned it in the grid the same way that it was done with the old model.  Alas, when I set my model as the main model and run glest, all I see is grey.  Even when I turn off the fog. 

I don't know what I did wrong.  I would import the original and change it, only my import script won't work.

It would be a real shame if my game had a grey main menu :(

Please help me all ye avid modders and fans of glest!

cheers,
anonymousjim

MuwuM

• Ornithopter
  • No Game without Move(ment)
    • View Profile
    • MuwuM - Lexicons
Re: Blender and the main menu model
« Reply #1 on: 7 March 2011, 17:50:20 »
hi anonymousjim,

the main menu doesn't support animated models. You have the change startingframe and endframe to the same number, then it should works ;-)

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 7 March 2011, 21:50:02 »
hi anonymousjim,

the main menu doesn't support animated models. You have the change startingframe and endframe to the same number, then it should works ;-)

This is not technically true as models in the "credits" menu are animated. For reasons unknown the main menu model cannot be animated. However putting an animated model in the menu (or a tileset) will not cause a crash, it will simply only display the first frame of the animation.

My guess is that you have not changed the camera settings in menu.xml and are therefore not looking at your model.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

MuwuM

• Ornithopter
  • No Game without Move(ment)
    • View Profile
    • MuwuM - Lexicons
« Reply #3 on: 7 March 2011, 22:02:19 »
maybe I expressed it wrong. But my experience toward animated main-menu-models was that animation caused an undefined grey, flashing (on camera change) screen.

Looks like this (original model with 2 instead of 1 frame):

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 8 March 2011, 06:26:16 »
I made a main model and it worked for me. Make sure it only has one frame.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

anonymousjim

« Reply #5 on: 8 March 2011, 17:51:15 »
cheers, I'll try that