Author Topic: 2080 Mars [UPDATED!]  (Read 7168 times)

anonymousjim

2080 Mars [UPDATED!]
« on: 7 March 2011, 17:59:42 »
http://www.indiedb.com/games/2080-mars

Hiya!

This is just a small project we're doing for fun.  we've been working on it a while now, it's set in the future on mars.  All the details are on the indiedb page above.

The game/mod will have:
2 new factions
1 new tileset
tonnes of new maps :)
several cool scenarios organised into 2 campaigns
and all the menus and stuff will also be changed

so far the project is going well and I think we are about half way through.

be sure to check the link and tell us what you think

cheers!
Anonymousjim
« Last Edit: 21 March 2011, 06:12:32 by ultifd »

MuwuM

• Ornithopter
  • No Game without Move(ment)
    • View Profile
    • MuwuM - Lexicons
Re: 2080 mars, complete conversion mod
« Reply #1 on: 7 March 2011, 18:43:27 »
Nice mod so far... very simple models but i think it's ok (my are not really better ;)) ... waiting for download ;-)

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 8 March 2011, 06:17:57 »
Looks fairly good, can I see the tech tree?
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #3 on: 8 March 2011, 08:26:48 »
Interesting mod. I never imagined helicopters on mars, i know its possible just never imagined it. Interesting, with an exception to the blue alien harvester you have some very human looking alien units such as alien guncar. Is there a reason for this? What does tech tree look like?
Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #4 on: 8 March 2011, 10:55:49 »
Seems cool! though what kind of resources are on mars?  :confused:

How long have you and your team been working on this? You seem to work very quick.

anonymousjim

« Reply #5 on: 8 March 2011, 17:50:17 »
yeah, we have been tearing through this quite fast, we wanted to go as quick as possible because we only have a short time before some important exams are coming up for some of us.

'Marsonium' is the primary resource on mars, but we also use power, uv rays and food

some of the more recent, unposted alien units actually hover rather than roll but the aliens were supposed to be realistic and we anted to keep it fairly normal looking, they fire plasma cannons though :p

Tech tree is all on paper so not very easy for me to upload, I may put one in the next indiedb update

Zoythrus

« Reply #6 on: 8 March 2011, 19:11:25 »
so, how do the humans and the aliens differ gameplay wise?

anonymousjim

« Reply #7 on: 9 March 2011, 10:49:42 »
Funny you should ask, they differ enormously!

The humans have your traditional sort of rts play with buildings and mobile units, but the Aliens all move, even the 'buildings' are mobile and this means that the player is offered more in the way of variety.  Obviously, this seems to offer a heavy advantage to the aliens, but the humans are given more and cheaper defences to make up for it, and the aliens units are weaker over all.  Also slightly cheaper.  It balances quite well overall.

Mr War

« Reply #8 on: 9 March 2011, 19:04:41 »
Moving buildings? How does that work in the XML? Sorry but sounds like a really interesting idea

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #9 on: 9 March 2011, 19:35:33 »
Interesting idea i had a similar concept a bit ago but, there is just one problem, I believe that Glest registers a victory when all buildings are destroyed. Buildings are seen by Glest as static objects, anything that can move are seen as units. If aliens have no static structures then they will instantly loose. Do you have a work around for this issue?

Zoythrus

« Reply #10 on: 9 March 2011, 20:37:40 »
Interesting idea i had a similar concept a bit ago but, there is just one problem, I believe that Glest registers a victory when all buildings are destroyed. Buildings are seen by Glest as static objects, anything that can move are seen as units. If aliens have no static structures then they will instantly loose. Do you have a work around for this issue?

as long as it has a "be built" skill, it's deemed a building. even units can have this skill and that means that their death is needed for victory.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 9 March 2011, 20:42:23 »
The game considers anything with a "be-built" skill to be a building, regardless of whether or not it can move.  In early stages of development for Project Green, I kept getting an instant loss and I have no idea why.  It turns out it was because the starting building didn't have a be-built skill.  Now, the starting building and the hero unit both have the skill, meaning you have to kill both. 8)

anonymousjim

« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2011, 17:58:56 »
Yeah, that's right.

By the way guys, I'm getting a most puzzling problem with my units, for producing my bulldozer, I set the bulldozer's time to 40 and the producing unit's production speed to 300 but the bulldozer takes hours to produce, I have tried changing those 2 values but nothing seems to alter the time taken to make a dozer, any help please?

ps, apart from that, the human faction is finished (yay! :D)

Zoythrus

« Reply #13 on: 10 March 2011, 18:55:36 »
well, 40 is really slow! the higher the number, the faster it builds. most units have buildtimes that are in the hundreds...

anonymousjim

« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2011, 13:14:12 »
I set it to 300 and it's still taking ages, any value I put into the produce speed and bulldozer's time seems to have no effect, it still takes forever, is there another value that I need to change?

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #15 on: 11 March 2011, 14:03:38 »
Actually the time value should be less for the bulldozer for it to be made faster. Try time value of 10 or less. Other values that matter for production are the number of frames and animation speed of the skill producing the bulldozer. The lower the time of the bulldozer the faster. The higher the production skill that makes bulldozer the faster it gets produced. The higher the animation speed the faster the production. The lower the number of frames in the animation makes production faster.

I think thats it for all things that affect speed.

Hope I wasn't to cryptic. :P

anonymousjim

« Reply #16 on: 11 March 2011, 15:25:58 »
Ah great, that works, cheers!  :D

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 12 March 2011, 02:57:19 »
So when do you think you will release this?  :D Doesn't have to be final...since a mod always needs feedback and testing.

anonymousjim

« Reply #18 on: 12 March 2011, 05:27:50 »
well, when it's at a suitable stage for release.  While it's true that it doesn't have to be final, I don't want to release it when it doesn't work at all, so I'll do some alpha testing before releasing.  In any case, we only have 1 faction at the moment and maps are still in production, as are scenarios.  I want to have something complete by the time I release it, just know, we're thinking more weeks than days here.  Work continues to be fast though :)

anonymousjim

« Reply #19 on: 16 March 2011, 14:57:21 »
a question of legality here:

Am I allowed to change the models in the "about" section to the warshark productions logo (warshark is the name we go under as a team)

is this ok?  I'm not changing any of the writing, I'm just sticking our logo in there

MuwuM

• Ornithopter
  • No Game without Move(ment)
    • View Profile
    • MuwuM - Lexicons
« Reply #20 on: 16 March 2011, 15:20:34 »
So far I know it's absolutly ok with GNU GPL (source code) and it should also work with the CC-BY-SA (Data)

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 March 2011, 15:36:28 »
You can change or remove all artwork or code.

You can charge for the program.

You must make the sourcecode available to your customers.

You can claim copyright on the artwork you author.

Read the gpl and cc licenses for more details.

anonymousjim

« Reply #22 on: 16 March 2011, 15:38:34 »
ah, that's ok then, thanks

I have a new problem:
The AI, when using humans, make no attack units at all, they just make millions of bulldozers (equiv of workers) they can make buildings but no fighters

What to do?
« Last Edit: 16 March 2011, 16:38:05 by anonymousjim »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 March 2011, 19:46:41 »
Can the bulldozers/workers attack?
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

anonymousjim

« Reply #24 on: 17 March 2011, 13:34:54 »
nope, which is why I find it so wierd that they only make those

anything