Author Topic: 2080 Mars [UPDATED!]  (Read 7167 times)

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
Re: 2080 mars, complete conversion mod
« Reply #25 on: 17 March 2011, 15:44:49 »
This happened to me once when none of the units you started with could build a farm/food building.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 March 2011, 16:41:43 »
A quick paint-over of one of your ModDB images:

Click for full size.

• The red line is an ugly seam.  When unwrapping, I would suggest moving the seams to somewhere that gets less face time, like the bottom.  This would allow the texture to be much more smooth and consistent, rather than looking like the top and sides are disconnected.
  • The thin green lines show where the gun barrel stick up through the top of the model.  I recommend cutting the barrels off at the yellow line.
  • Orange circles -- these look like they're using around sixteen sides or more.  They could be done just as well with eight, with no noticeable loss of in-game quality.
  • It appears that the ends of the gun barrels don't have faces.  I would suggest giving them some.  You can easily put big black dots in the center to create the illusion of being a gun barrel, or you could do something like this:

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #27 on: 17 March 2011, 18:02:41 »
Please upload what you have so far so we can inspect the XMLs in hopes of fixing your AI problem.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 17 March 2011, 21:57:09 »
well, when it's at a suitable stage for release.  While it's true that it doesn't have to be final, I don't want to release it when it doesn't work at all, so I'll do some alpha testing before releasing.  In any case, we only have 1 faction at the moment and maps are still in production, as are scenarios.  I want to have something complete by the time I release it, just know, we're thinking more weeks than days here.  Work continues to be fast though :)
That sounds like a release where there won't be any updates for a while, if any problems occur. Testing is much different when you have others...

anonymousjim

« Reply #29 on: 18 March 2011, 13:50:29 »
Ok, we'll upload the mod as soon as we have everything apart from the scenarios (that's 6 more units of which the models are all done already) so probably sometime this weekend I'll get it up for you guys.  We did have scenarios planned, but we'll see what happens.  Oh, and there's no music as the guy who was making it lost it when his computer got blue-screened.

Actually, we weren't that far off a release anyway :p

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 18 March 2011, 22:05:55 »
Good to hear!
Oh, and there's no music as the guy who was making it lost it when his computer got blue-screened.
Please backup everything  :-X
Perhaps you could find an alternative just for now @sites like this one...there's needs to be some music.
http://www.jamendo.com/en/
Make sure the one you pick has the right license...

anonymousjim

« Reply #31 on: 21 March 2011, 05:46:55 »
Ok, so, we've uploaded!  It's just the basic mod with no scenarios, and we used the normal glest music.  We'll hopefully make it better over the next week

I think it's currently awaiting authorisation, but it will soon be available on our indiedb page

please download and examine it for us!

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: 2080 Mars [UPDATED!]
« Reply #32 on: 21 March 2011, 05:51:53 »
Awesome! Please use 7z to compress your mod though. It has a much better compression rate than RAR :) With Ultra compression, your mod became 29.6 MB from 61.5 MB.Anyways since you used the old version of MG, I "ported" your mod to 3.4.0... :)
Here you go, perhaps you should download this and re-upload?
Hmm...some of the models are nice, what is the difference between "off" and "on"?
Also nice XML Editor! What type of GUI program did you use? I hope you don't mind that I re-uploaded it without your mod...

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #33 on: 21 March 2011, 08:38:31 »
Why did you use such an old version of MG? at first I thought it was still using the orginal glest....
I haven't played it yet, but the .xml editor is cool. Maybe instead of having to keep pressing the "next" buttom there could be tabs for the separate pages.

Also what about a GAE add-on version? saves some people form downloading another glest....

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 21 March 2011, 08:50:35 »
Also what about a GAE add-on version? saves some people form downloading another glest....
I don't know about that...looking at the techtrees, factions, maps it would be kinda not worth it. But, people can just recompress the mod themselves, I guess. I just find no reason too, since, it doesn't have any of GAE's features...
Why did you use such an old version of MG?
Here you go, 1/2 the size.
:)

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #35 on: 21 March 2011, 09:22:12 »
I don't know about that...looking at the techtrees, factions, maps it would be kinda not worth it. But, people can just recompress the mod themselves, I guess. I just find no reason too, since, it doesn't have any of GAE's features...
How isn't is worth it? :S with the add-on folder it's just drop in, you don't even have to extract it; I was just thinking out of convience. It annoys me having lots of .exes for the same game really....

I just realized with the superweapon thing... Did you actually change the code to do that? if so, release a patch!  ;)

Why did you use such an old version of MG?
Here you go, 1/2 the size.
:)

Ahhh, how did I miss that, thanks!

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 21 March 2011, 09:31:44 »
It's not worth it for me, because I'll extract it anyways to examine the maps and models...  :P So that's the addon feature of GAE isn't really that great for me, usually. :/ Then since this mod is supposed to be based on MG, it doesn't have any of the special GAE features. I suppose this mod could have a MG version first, then later on a GAE one with extra features. But first, the AI and the models needs to be improved...

anonymousjim

« Reply #37 on: 21 March 2011, 13:26:27 »
RE: on and off superweapons:

This was only two separate techs, one was called off and one was called on, when ultifd ported it to the newer mg he evidently didn't change the menu text so it still said "tech" rather than "superweapons"  (if you could zip it again with that change, I'd be happy to post that one on indiedb)

The xml editor was made with visual studio 2010 express, we actually left it in by accident :p  that's an old version and a lot of it doesn't work well, we're uploading a newer one which works well since you guys liked it so much

As for the GAE port, I don't think it's worth it personally

Thanks for the feedback, keep it up

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 21 March 2011, 19:08:55 »
Oh...well then, please upload the newer version of your XML Editor to gamefront...
This was only two separate techs, one was called off and one was called on, when ultifd ported it to the newer mg he evidently didn't change the menu text so it still said "tech" rather than "superweapons"  (if you could zip it again with that change, I'd be happy to post that one on indiedb)
Hmm...That would require me to revert back to the specific SVN revision of MG 3.4.0, and then edit it...where? If it's like this why didn't you compile 3.4.0?  :confused: Or if not, where can I change the menu text...

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #39 on: 21 March 2011, 21:33:10 »
To stress a point I seem to have to stress too often, the addons folder structure is compatible with all versions of Glest! Puleeeeeze use it. One, simple, unified folder structure goes a long way in making installation easier. You have no idea just how many people get stumped by installing a mod.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #40 on: 21 March 2011, 21:46:59 »
To stress a point I seem to have to stress too often, the addons folder structure is compatible with all versions of Glest! Puleeeeeze use it. One, simple, unified folder structure goes a long way in making installation easier. You have no idea just how many people get stumped by installing a mod.

I happened to be one of those people way back in my early Glest days! Except I eventually figured it out. The addons folder will save people much trouble and will probably help to keep fans!
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

anonymousjim

« Reply #41 on: 22 March 2011, 11:52:30 »
@Ultifd:  It'sin the lang file, actually, you should just copy the "data" folder from glest and everything should work ok.

RE the addons folder, I wasn't aware this existed, explanation link?

btw here's the link for the XML editor: http://www.indiedb.com/games/2080-mars/downloads/2080-mars-xml-editor
« Last Edit: 22 March 2011, 15:06:10 by anonymousjim »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #42 on: 22 March 2011, 18:48:21 »
@Ultifd:  It'sin the lang file, actually, you should just copy the "data" folder from glest and everything should work ok.

RE the addons folder, I wasn't aware this existed, explanation link?

btw here's the link for the XML editor: http://www.indiedb.com/games/2080-mars/downloads/2080-mars-xml-editor
The addons *folder* is only in GAE, but the addons format is just a folder structure so that addons can play it in GAE, and to make it easier to install in MG/Glest (just extract to the installation directory).

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #43 on: 23 March 2011, 22:08:10 »

anything