Author Topic: Partial 7z support for file transfers  (Read 1299 times)

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Partial 7z support for file transfers
« on: 9 March 2011, 19:19:40 »
The current svn code will now look for 7z versions of tilesets when transfering files. Currently the code does NOT create 7z files, the server must already have the tileset i nthe tilesets folder and the file should have the same name as the tileset folder but also contai nthe 7z extension of course. Clients will now first look for the 7z tileset and if found download and extract it. This requires the client to have 7z, for windows users 7z.exe is already in the same fodler where glest_game.exe is placed, for linux users they need to install it if they want this to work.

If this works out we could try sending techtrees or factions next.

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Partial 7z support for file transfers
« Reply #1 on: 9 March 2011, 19:50:17 »
Awesome! I'll try it in a few hours. This reminds me, we should add the cliff version of Forest to MG...

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 9 March 2011, 23:51:02 »
Ok now we also have full techtrees can be transfered over LAN or Internet too. Code in svn.

In order to transfer a techtree you MUST have a .7z file with the same name as the techtree in the techs folder. We DO NOT send individual techtree files (like we currently support for tilesets) because techtrees are so large. Therefore to send a techtree you must have a copy of the techtree compressed into a .7z extension file in the techs folder and the filename must be the same name as the techtree.

This will also work for tilesets, but tilesets do NOT require a 7z file (that is optional) whereas techtrees do.

UPDATE:

Just added new options in the options menu to disable tileset and/or techtree file xfers from the server for Internet (published) games. Titi asked for this so its there now.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 12:19:57 by softcoder »

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2011, 02:37:28 »
Again, awesome! So this means we can load techtrees as 7z right? And all of this is supposed to be in mydata?
I suppose when we merge, all that is needed to do is to change the path in the code...?

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2011, 06:44:41 »
Wrong. This is not about loading 7z files, this is doing the file transfer (i don't want to duplicate the code GAE already has). All i did was make it so we can send 7Z files and for now we extract them on the client side, after the merge we won't need to extract them, but for now we DO NOT load 7z files we only support transferring them from server to client.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2011, 06:47:23 »
OK.

anything