Author Topic: Megaglest and Intel Core2 Quad  (Read 1725 times)

Irosonic

Megaglest and Intel Core2 Quad
« on: 22 March 2011, 14:00:25 »
Hey guys...i hope this is the right topic..  ive started some days ago with playing this awesome  :thumbup: game!! Its great and fun...but ive got a problem. Some times the game jerks/jiggels (ruckelt) so hard, that iam not able to play. But my system is all right:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
HD Readon 5770
6 GB Ram

So i got some Questions and hope you can help me:
1.Does the game support Prozessors with more Cores (my english is horrible :confused:)?
2. Does it help, when i change the affinity of the game for one Core (Prozessor Affinity)?

i hope you can help me. Thanks :)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
Re: Megaglest and Intel Core2 Quad
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2011, 15:52:27 »
No, we don't use multiple cores a lot, so I think its mainly a cpu problem.
It happens when you have very big battles and often has something to do with the pathfinding and units which got stuck...
It also happens when you choose to play with many factions and the Mega CPU player which produces tons of units ....

Oder auf deutsch:
Nee das ist (leider) normal, sollte aber nur passieren wenn viele Einheiten unterwegs sind. In der nächsten Version wird es hoffentlich ein bisschen besser.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2011, 15:59:31 »
It happens when you have very big battles and often has something to do with the pathfinding and units which got stuck...
It also happens when you choose to play with many factions and the Mega CPU player which produces tons of units ....

Oder auf deutsch:
Nee das ist (leider) normal, sollte aber nur passieren wenn viele Einheiten unterwegs sind. In der nächsten Version wird es hoffentlich ein bisschen besser.

Well obviously we need 2 things: multi-core support, and more optimization...
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Gabbe

« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2011, 18:42:36 »
More cores means lesser clock speed on each core, but not that less so you still benefit from having multiple.

Irosonic, have you clocked it any much? 2.33 GHz, and i dont know if Intel has any such thing as AMD cool'n quiet technology. Like my processor has only 800mhz when im idling and when i play games it jumps up as needed to maintain framrate and not become a bottleneck. Maybe check in task manager and/or OC software your clock speeds while playing.

Irosonic

« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2011, 19:27:17 »
Thanks for the fast answers :).. iam not sure Gabbe if my intel got that like AMD also iam not that expert about Prozessors  :angel: but i tried to put the hole process on one core like Core 0 and then it worked better....

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2011, 21:15:37 »
The new release of MG coming soon will use the cores.. a number of thigns are threaded and multi-cores will help performance.

Irosonic

« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2011, 22:46:58 »
great :) iam looking forward :) thanks for the help.

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2011, 01:43:54 »
Multi-core support! Thats great news! Great work as always softcoder!
Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

Tununias

« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2011, 04:44:16 »

Oder auf deutsch:
It also happens wen you set a unit's sight to a large number like 500.

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2011, 17:56:19 »
Yes ,this is because units look for attackers or run away from them when enemy units are in their 'sight' zone.