Author Topic: [FIXED] Bug in 3.5.0 beta1: Items in "Game Mods" menu never install on Win XP  (Read 3379 times)

tomreyn

• Local Moderator
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game

Downloading the maps works good for me but i noticed that i could try to download the same map many times without getting a message like "you have already downloaded this map" and wasn't very clear what i had downloaded and what not in the list.

I assume you are referring to the Game Mods menu here. I do receive a message when I try to download a map I already have there, and I also receive a message after a download was completed successfully. Please retry this using english language and see if it works for you then.
Items you already have are displayed with a lighter background, items you do not yet have are displayed with a darker and more red background.

Talking about the messages after downloading the map i get this with the italian translation: http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/1912/lookmg.jpg and this with the english translation: http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4338/lookmg0.jpg as you can see the download map doesnt become lighter or something like this. Im on windows xp.

Interesting, this indeed looks like a bug to me. I would expect that you would have differently colored items in the lists, indicating whether or not these are installed on your system. You should also get a warning saying that an item is already installed if it is. However, in your case, all items look exactly the same, indicating they are not installed, and even though you installed the 8king_cliff_battle.mgm map twice it still displays as being not installed.

Did you not receive a warning about the map being already installed?

Did you not receive a warning about the map failing to install properly?

Which Service pack of Windows XP do you have installed?
« Last Edit: 13 April 2011, 14:21:50 by softcoder »
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Pizza90

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
I checked , i can install the maps but i dont get any messages saying i already have that map! The map get downloaded one time but you can't see what you you installed and what not.
I translated Megaglest in italian and i keep the translation updated.

tomreyn

• Local Moderator
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
I see. So are the maps you download in the Game Mods menu available when you start a custom game?

To give you a better idea of what's going wrong on your end (supposedly because of a bug), here's what the Game Mods menu should be looking like currently (that's in terms of design, the actual items differ):
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=6731.0
As you see there, some items are painted in a slightly different fore- and background colour than others.

And again:
Which Service pack of Windows XP do you have installed?
« Last Edit: 4 April 2011, 15:54:41 by tomreyn »
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Items highlighted in darker grey are on the server and not installed locally (in the screenshot below the vbros packs 3 and 4).

So what exactly is the bug here? If I try to install anything which is not light coloured it tells me its already installed. I can remove those entries however. You can only install items that are dark grey.

« Last Edit: 4 April 2011, 15:56:13 by softcoder »

Pizza90

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
Yes the map are available for a custom game but i saw that they dont get saved in the "map" folder, they get put outside the mg folder (i have two separate partitions c and e where i have mg) I suppose the bug is that i dont get an error like "you already have this map" if i try to install the same map and that the installed map and the one not installed look the same!

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
All mod content is saved in your windows users appdata\megaglest folder, for example for me on Windows XP it is:

Code: [Select]
C:\Documents and Settings\SoftCoder\Application Data\megaglest
In here there are maps, tilesets, techs etc. this is where the mod data is stored for windows.

tomreyn

• Local Moderator
  • Airship
    • View Profile
Discussing this would probably be easier on IRC. You can use the webchat if you like.

Pizza90

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
I have two partition in my pc (made from c) c and e, since c is full i had to put it in e, however this is not the problem, i suppose happens to me because i dont have megaglest in c. I found another annoying thing, every tim i play the "panorama mode" (the one to take the screenshot) is on and i have to play f8 every time to see the map.

tomreyn

• Local Moderator
  • Airship
    • View Profile
Your %ApplicationData% environment variable most likely still points to some place on C:. And that's where MegaGlest and many other applications will try to store data to. Just because you moved some applications themselves to another drive / partition / file system does not mean that they will no longer attempt to write data to common locations defined in the Windows registry.

Last time I tried Windows, it was extremely unforgiving when you had C: full or almost full, and it was more or less impossible to reconfigure Windows to no longer have applications and Windows itself attempt to write additional data to common places on C:. As such, I think it's fair to say your issues are home-brewn. Softcoder has improved the code to provide a warning if downloaded data could not be written to the %ApplicationData% storage location, though. This improvement (r1987) will be in the next (beta) release.
« Last Edit: 4 April 2011, 17:59:07 by tomreyn »

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
You are able to CHANGE the location of mod data by manually editing glest.ini (which is located in the same folder as the glest_game.exe) as follows:

Original:
UserData_Root=$APPDATA\megaglest\
New (this means it will like in a subfolder called mydata located off the root game directory for all mod content):
UserData_Root=$APPLICATIONPATH/mydata/

Pizza90

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
I checked on "c" and there is no mg folder, i installed it directly in "e", i hope it's not the reason because of this problem.

*update* to avoid doubts i unistalled mg and installed it in "c", nothing has changed. I i still can try to download the same map many times without any error saying i already have the map. The map downloaded goes outside the mg map folder.
« Last Edit: 4 April 2011, 20:42:03 by Pizza90 »

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
I'm not sure you understand what i have posted in this thread? Let me re-explain:

A) IT does NOT matter where you install megaglest, by default it will save and look for ALL mod content in the Windows AppData\megaglest folder. AppData is defined by the environment variable named appdata. To see where this location is stored for you open a DOS (command) prompt and type:

set
This will show a list in alphabetic order of all environment variables on your system. At the top see where APPDATA points to. In that folder there should be a megaglest folder. In the megaglest folder there are maps, tilesets, techs, etc. This is where mod data is stored by default. This default can be changed by editing glest.ini as follows (for example below would tell megaglest to save / look for mod content in the mydata subfolder of megaglest (like it used to do in 3.4 or previous):

UserData_Root=$APPLICATIONPATH/mydata/
Thanks.
« Last Edit: 5 April 2011, 13:45:58 by softcoder »

Pizza90

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
Now seems working thank softcoder.