Author Topic: custom doodads (objects)  (Read 3719 times)

treba

custom doodads (objects)
« on: 8 April 2011, 08:18:04 »
hey ho all.

i'm aware of the fact that for the next time, there won't be any new features in the near future, but i already want to mention one idea for after the merge. as soon as there is a new forum section for the merge, this topic can be moved there.

so, i thought about a option in the map editor to add custom doodads. you just specifie the size of the doodad and whether it blocks units or not, and give it a unique name/id. the engine will lookup whether the template contains the given doodad, and, if not, will just ignore it / won't draw any model for it.

of course, that would need a new mapformat again, but i don't see any bigger problem besides that. on the other side, everybody wanting to make great scenarios with many different doodads has the possability for it, just with some little changes to the used tileset.
changes to
what do you think about it?
« Last Edit: 9 April 2011, 17:20:56 by ultifd »

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: custom doodads
« Reply #1 on: 8 April 2011, 08:26:43 »
Interesting idea... Doodads? like statues?  :confused:

treba

« Reply #2 on: 8 April 2011, 11:50:50 »
exactly.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #3 on: 8 April 2011, 12:09:47 »
This is already possible with GAE's add-on folder... (or can't they can be just placed in the scenario folder?) But I know it will work with the add-ons folder.

It's not exactly what you mean, but it achieves exactly the same thing. Just change a map object/unit model with whatever you want, put that and the map you want in with the scenario.... For example:    
User>glestadv>addons>cool_scenario>maps>cool_map.gmb
                                                  >scenarios>cool_scenario>cool_scenario.xml
                                                  >tilesets>forest>models>doodad.g3d

You can pretty much do what ever you like with the addons, once the merge happens every mod will be able to do it. ;)
(I'm pretty sure it can be done an even easier way, but I'm unsure at the moment)
« Last Edit: 8 April 2011, 12:12:08 by Psychedelic_hands »

treba

« Reply #4 on: 8 April 2011, 14:31:31 »
yeah you are right, it's possible to replace the model of a doodad. but that is replacing, not adding. the amount of different doodads is limited to a small number.
the scenarios i am thinking about need many different doodads. there is also the way to use the same doodad with more than one model for it, so the model gets randomly choosen by the engine (like for trees). but then, i never know exactly how the map looks like in the end

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 8 April 2011, 15:58:25 »
You can do that in MG too, but like you said that is not what you want.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #6 on: 8 April 2011, 16:03:26 »
yeah you are right, it's possible to replace the model of a doodad. but that is replacing, not adding. the amount of different doodads is limited to a small number.
the scenarios i am thinking about need many different doodads. there is also the way to use the same doodad with more than one model for it, so the model gets randomly choosen by the engine (like for trees). but then, i never know exactly how the map looks like in the end

rrr... please stop refering to them as doodads, lol.

I still quite don't understand you, can you please be more specific?
Though I'm sure you could achieve what you want if you just got creative, say you make a new faction with all the "doodads" you want in it then place the "doodads" around the map. But be sure to set the faction to the same team as you..... If that's what you want with your... rrrr. doodads....

You can do that in MG too, but like you said that is not what you want.

How so?

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 8 April 2011, 16:09:17 »
In the scenario folder you can have a tile-set called "your-tile-set" and modify the statue/hangman/rock/ect to different models that you want. Then point your scenario to that tile-set.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #8 on: 8 April 2011, 16:14:52 »
In the scenario folder you can have a tile-set called "your-tile-set" and modify the statue/hangman/rock/ect to different models that you want. Then point your scenario to that tile-set.

Ah right, but do you need to have the whole tileset in the scenario folder, or just the changed model? I thought you needed PhysFS to do that.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: 8 April 2011, 18:55:37 »
The word you are looking for is "object".
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 9 April 2011, 00:29:52 »

Ah right, but do you need to have the whole tileset in the scenario folder, or just the changed model? I thought you needed PhysFS to do that.

You need a whole new tile-set, yes.

treba

« Reply #11 on: 9 April 2011, 06:56:23 »
in blizzard games, the things i mean are called "doodads". i thought it's a common term for them. but, if you like so, i will refer to them as "neutral objects"
Though I'm sure you could achieve what you want if you just got creative, say you make a new faction with all the "doodads" you want in it then place the "doodads" around the map. But be sure to set the faction to the same team as you..... If that's what you want with your... rrrr. doodads....
i want to be able to place many different "neutral objects".
maybe your idea is a possible solution (can i make units invulnerable and unattackable? because i can't set every player in the same team and don't want the ai to attack the >neutral< objects), but still, it would be much harder to create a map this way, because i would have place all my neutral objects with lua during the startup.
that's....sub-optimal bacause i don't have a general overview over my map...thought ok as a workaround.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: 9 April 2011, 19:56:40 »
in blizzard games, the things i mean are called "doodads". i thought it's a common term for them. but, if you like so, i will refer to them as "neutral objects"
i want to be able to place many different "neutral objects".
maybe your idea is a possible solution (can i make units invulnerable and unattackable? because i can't set every player in the same team and don't want the ai to attack the >neutral< objects), but still, it would be much harder to create a map this way, because i would have place all my neutral objects with lua during the startup.
that's....sub-optimal bacause i don't have a general overview over my map...thought ok as a workaround.
Wait, attack?

treba

« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2011, 06:19:50 »
Wait, attack?

what is your question?
if i use a player for neutral objects, like a cpu whos ai gets disabled at the beginning of the game, this player cannot be in two teams at the same time. so in a normal game, where there are at least two opposing teams or players, one side will attack it.

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Re: custom doodads (objects)
« Reply #14 on: 11 April 2011, 06:21:28 »
No-one will attack a unit with an empty cellmap! That could be used to display models that do nothing.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2011, 03:54:44 »
There's still bugs with the AI swarming to units with 0 size, as though they were trying to attack it, though...

treba

« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2011, 05:25:42 »
ok, so to be able to create blocking neutral objects, for example houses etc., we would need a "invulnerable" parameter or skill (athought i would still prefer to be able to place "real" neutral objects :) ).
i will create a new thread for that.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: 12 April 2011, 05:37:11 »
Give the neutral objects health and a destruction model and you've got yourself a start to a destructible environment!
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

treba

« Reply #18 on: 12 April 2011, 05:58:12 »
the point is, that i want them to be not destructible. but blocking. like rocks. that's why i wanted to have custom neutral objects in the editor.

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 April 2011, 07:10:22 »
No in MG enemy units no longer swarm to them, see Elims scenario (The military one) where he lets you 'duck down' and enemies cannot see you.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: 12 April 2011, 07:24:22 »
the point is, that i want them to be not destructible. but blocking. like rocks. that's why i wanted to have custom neutral objects in the editor.

Destructible, and non-destructible, you could have both. But the AI wouldn't attack a destructible neutral object unless it was considered 'in the way'. You could make a whole destructible village, and have a few indestructible huts mixed in for kicks and ragequits.

With destructible AND non-destructible map object you could do tons of cool things.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #21 on: 12 April 2011, 13:08:28 »
Soo... You essentially want to be able to add custom tileset objects more than whats already there. the only problem is that it changes the map format when u do...
Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

treba

« Reply #22 on: 12 April 2011, 18:15:54 »
exactly

anything