Author Topic: [DONE] changerequest renaming glest_editor  (Read 1321 times)

m0ellemeister

[DONE] changerequest renaming glest_editor
« on: 8 April 2011, 09:47:42 »
Hi,

maybe you've noticed that MegGlest is now available in FreeBSD. That's cool. BUT:

I've missed a detail. Glest is also available in FreeBSD. And both of them install glest_editor in the same place. This is a conflict which is a really bad one. I think in the 3.4.0 release it will be fixed in the MegaGlest FreeBSD Port by renaming the binary glest_editor to megaglest_editor

My question is: is it possible to rename the binary glest_editor into something else like e.g. megaglest_editor or mg_editor? This might prevents conflicts on ther systems too. I think, users who have Glest installed and want to try out MegaGlest won't deinstall Gelst before installing MegaGlest.

This point will be relevant as soon as MegaGlest will be packaged and available in official distribution repositories (Debian/Ubuntu etc.)
« Last Edit: 13 April 2011, 14:18:59 by softcoder »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: changerequest renaming glest_editor
« Reply #1 on: 8 April 2011, 19:20:50 »
They shouldn't be installed in the same place though. Megaglest should have it's own folder, as Glest is not compatible with Megaglest (and in all honesty, no reason to even keep Glest if using megaglest).
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #2 on: 8 April 2011, 19:54:11 »
With the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) all packaged executables go into the same search path, and thus (whether or not they are located in the exact same directory) need different and unique file names. I believe that's the issue m0ellemeister is discussing here.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 8 April 2011, 22:00:24 »
Huh? Can you explain what is meant by that better (couldn't find any mention of it in any online documentation). Are you saying that every file on a computer needs to be... uniquely named?  :confused:

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 8 April 2011, 22:04:44 »
Better as in thought out by experts.

Its not like you can fight it; you have to adapt to it.  MG/GAE/Glest4 not working on FreeBSD/Linux is a bigger deal to the Glest community than to the FreeBSD/Linux community.

m0ellemeister

« Reply #5 on: 8 April 2011, 22:25:45 »
With the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) all packaged executables go into the same search path, and thus (whether or not they are located in the exact same directory) need different and unique file names. I believe that's the issue m0ellemeister is discussing here.

Yep, you got it tomreyn.

@Omega
This does not means that every file has to be a uniquely named. But on *nix/Linux every binary is placed in e.g. /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin. On Unix like OS's no application has it's own dedicated folder (usually).
Both, Glest and MegaGlest install the same file "glest_editor" in /usr/local/bin by default. That's an issue.

I can solve this just for FreeBSD by renaming glest_editor to megaglest_editor when installing the file. But i thought it's not necessary to happen on other platforms too ;-)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: 9 April 2011, 00:37:23 »
This does not means that every file has to be a uniquely named. But on *nix/Linux every binary is placed in e.g. /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin. On Unix like OS's no application has it's own dedicated folder (usually).
I see.

I can solve this just for FreeBSD by renaming glest_editor to megaglest_editor when installing the file. But i thought it's not necessary to happen on other platforms too ;-)
It'd be best to have it renamed in the SVN then for consistency.

m0ellemeister

« Reply #7 on: 9 April 2011, 20:08:29 »
It's likely that this kind of an issue exists with other files too, for example glest.bin.

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2011, 01:45:28 »
Latest svn revision has all these renamed, all binaries start with megaglest_ and all scripts start with start_megaglest_

so this will make it into the release.

Thanks for pointing this out.

m0ellemeister

« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2011, 20:05:00 »
Wow, pretty fast reaction  :thumbup: