Author Topic: Looking For Testers ...  (Read 2032 times)

Ildiz

Looking For Testers ...
« on: 19 April 2011, 15:26:34 »
Hey guys/gals,

I've been playing around with the GAE AI for the last few weeks as part of my dissertation (as some of you may know).
It's come to the time where I need some people to test the AI and tell me what they think for my user evaluation/testing part of the project.

Unfortunately the size of the file is 92 MB and the only way I can think of sending it is via Skype (too big to email).

So could those of you who are willing to test / evaluate the changed AI please get in touch, it would be greatly appreciated.

Available for download here http://www.gamefront.com/files/20263458/Release+Test.zip

Thanks in advance,
Matt
« Last Edit: 25 April 2011, 14:28:18 by Ildiz »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Looking For Testers ...
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2011, 15:57:42 »
Upload to Filefront man.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2011, 16:01:29 »
Or git (if not sourceforge then github)?

Ildiz

« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2011, 16:43:36 »
Win, thanks guys, didn't know there was free upload sites available.
Main post has been updated to show a download URL.

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2011, 18:47:19 »
I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be testing here  :confused:

I downloaded and tried a game but the AI was even more useless than usual, on the "CPU" setting they just sat around building a small base but no offensive units  :(

I also noticed a GAE lighting bug similar to those that have been posted in the GAE section but this is probably due to the revision you based your work on as I don't normally get this.

Also I noticed that only one (the first?) listed object of each tileset object set was loaded and these were all aligned exactly the same instead of randomly  :-\
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Mr War

« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2011, 20:24:57 »
UAT????? Is this where we tell you that we actually specified dutch penguin functionality man?

Ildiz

« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2011, 12:37:43 »
Ok I should ave been a little clearer here, my bad.
It's not so much testing as evaluating.
And i'm only interested in the AI evaluation.

I changed the AIs to be like so:
Easy -> Resource Hoarder - no offensive units, just farms all day. Designed to be boring and unlike a normal human player.
Normal -> Left the same as the GAE normal AI when I downloaded it.
Ultra -> Overly Aggressive, will spawn lots of units and send them straight to you.
Mega -> Overly Defensive, spawns offensive units, but stays in their base and defends it.

I used the GAE as a base for this, so that's why there may be a few GAE bugs in there from the version I downloaded, please ignore these :P
I hope this clears up some confusion.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2011, 15:18:05 »
Isn't this the wrong section to post this in? Mods?
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2011, 21:05:25 »
@Elim:
Quote from: First Post
I've been playing around with the GAE AI for the last few weeks as part of my dissertation (as some of you may know).
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2011, 21:07:58 »
Sounds cool, maybe someday I'll test and record this.

@Arch
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=6961.0

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 April 2011, 09:34:20 »
Maybe if we merged this in to the mainline (also in need of some serious testing) you might get some more feedback  ;)

I for one wouldn't mind seeing what you've been up to anyway...

If you wish, right click the directory you checked-out, and select 'Git Commit -> master ...'
Enter a log message, something simple like 'AI Tweaks' is fine, you can provide more details if you really want. Hit ok to commit all your changes to your local repository.

Then right click that folder again, and from the TortoiseGit sub-menu select 'create patch serial...',  for the 'version' part, just change it to 'number commits' and set it to 1.

Afterwards, inside that directory will be a patch file, either create a ticket and attach it, or send an email to glestae-devel@lists.sourceforge.net with it attached.

I'll take care of merging it into the now much changed master branch.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Ildiz

« Reply #11 on: 22 April 2011, 10:15:43 »
I followed the instructions and have submitted a ticket - #332

Bare in mind it only works for the Tech faction currently, and only the 'normal' CPU is the same as when I downloaded it, the others act differently.

Cheers,
Ildiz

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 April 2011, 17:20:13 »
Bare in mind it only works for the Tech faction currently

This is what confused me earlier, magic just sits around with the new AI  :confused:

I've since tested all the new AI's.

Mega is very passive and easy to defeat since it will not attack under any circumstances but expands stupidly fast and builds LOTS of farms.

Ultra is very agressive and also builds a very large base.

One thing that I noticed was that neither AI built any defence towers. Maybe I didn't play long enough with either AI but they seem to build alot of everything else. Also does the mega/ultra AI have a resource multiplier? It would be cool to test the agressive ultra AI without a resource multiplier. At the moment it is pretty unbeatable without using "gamey" tactics.

I also support the integration of this more agressive AI into GAE/G4, makes for a harder more realistic game  :thumbup:
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Ildiz

« Reply #13 on: 22 April 2011, 17:34:16 »
The Mega AI should be attacking you when you attack them - They have auto attack enabled.
The Easy AI should just hoard resources (designed to be boring)

With regards to the Ultra AI:
It's built on the Ultra AI already in place, so if the Ultra AI had a built in resource multiplier then yes, it uses that. I didn't see anywhere for this, so maybe i'm just blind, it'd be nice to turn it off (since that was the original idea).

Either that, or I can take out the ability for them to expand, which would make them a bit easier to beat - I hope :P

Cheers for the feedback.

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 April 2011, 01:32:21 »
With regards to the Ultra AI:
It's built on the Ultra AI already in place, so if the Ultra AI had a built in resource multiplier then yes, it uses that. I didn't see anywhere for this, so maybe i'm just blind, it'd be nice to turn it off (since that was the original idea).
Look in MenuStateNewGame::updateControlers. It's not a good spot right now but I don't want to go refactoring code when we are nearing release. It should be moving to lua after the merge with MG.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

Ildiz

« Reply #15 on: 25 April 2011, 13:06:20 »
I'm going to be a bit cheeky here and 'bump' this thread... i'm in DIRE need of some user evaluations for this AI, so can people please get back to me, even if it's a forum post like wciow posted.

Everything and anything constructive is appreciated.
Thanks again

Matt

PS: Also edited the original post to add the ReadMe file to the zip folder (which didn't add correctly in the first one). This should help :D
« Last Edit: 25 April 2011, 14:29:00 by Ildiz »