Author Topic: Getting close to full international support -translators please read  (Read 3798 times)

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Here is a screenshot showing real Chinese:

« Last Edit: 4 June 2011, 16:14:38 by softcoder »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Getting close to full international support
« Reply #1 on: 4 June 2011, 06:15:27 »
Cool, but how come the text is not centered correctly in the buttons?
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Getting close to full international support
« Reply #2 on: 4 June 2011, 06:26:32 »
I would like to ask translators to change the lng files to use UTF-8 text of their native language (I would like a few like Japanese, Russian etc) to do some testing. So if you are able to do this please let me know.

(The centering of text will be worked out)

Thanks

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Oh, and another question: What font is used for this, and is it provided with MegaGlest, etc?
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
We're using FreeType Font library here so it can load many types of fonts. In this case I am using a free true type font that handles unicode Chinese (this stuff would also likely work fine in GAE).

Thanks

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
In case this info is of any use to you: I recently had a glance at the Wesnoth source code repository and it's change-/buildlog. I'm not sure where exactly I read it but there was a log message saying which TTF's they use and why. One was a chinese font and the other was one which mostly covers unicode, both free of course.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Ok we have fully functional new font system which works with numerous languages. I ask anyone who wants to see megaglest in their native language to update (or create) lng files for your language and email them to contact @ megaglest.org

If you are able to build from svn it should all work with both windows and linux builds (windows required new win32_deps.7z from sourceforge.net). I have placed an older chinese.lng in svn as an example of how chinese displays fine in mg (of course some strings are missing because the translation is an old one).

Thanks

aqeeliz

Will it work with Right-to-Left languages now? Like Arabic/Urdu?

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Yes i have tested a little bit with Arabic and Hebrew :)

Screenshot of Arabic (I used google translate for a few strings) to show right to left text:

« Last Edit: 9 June 2011, 00:04:10 by softcoder »

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
While I don't claim to be able to read these, I can see that the first (rightmost) words on the first and second button match, which would be "Start" in english, so it seems to be working, and it surely looks good. :) I recall that we've seen players from Maroc, Saudi Arabia and Iran around, so chances are that one of them will be able to confirm this (but we may need to point them to this post).

The version info looks wrong to me, though, maybe this needs to be handled differently (exclude certain strings which are always in English from RTL?) somehow...
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Yes, now i try to figure out if the rendered text is all purely ascii or not and render appropriately, svn has the fixes

aqeeliz

In Arabic words join together, even though all characters are showing up, this isn't right. For instace, this is how the first word should appear (attaching image in case your computer doesn't show it right)

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
I put up a dev version (windows) with the following features:

- improved fonts and rendering
- tap a 'group recall key' a second time within 1.5 seconds and the camera moves to that group of units
- Titi's hud changes
- Bugfix for workers building far away from the building
- Better internationalization support

http://www.soft-haus.com/glest/temp/megaglest3.5.3-dev_i386_win32_bin.exe

Give it a try.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
Still some problem with this :(

1. I think ultifd cannot get it to work without legay fonts in windows ( I have no details please report ultifd )

2. I ( ubuntu linux 10.04 32 bit ) still crash with the fontlib bug when I enter the internet menu :/ .
But I am shure it worked for me when I tried it before with sme version! So it must be related to the shown text.

3. in options menu the headlines have the same size as the rest.

Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

K

Re: Getting close to full international support -translators please read
« Reply #14 on: 26 December 2012, 23:37:17 »
Hi
In Arabic words join together, even though all characters are showing up, this isn't right. For instace, this is how the first word should appear (attaching image in case your computer doesn't show it right)

This is what I posted about exactly

About Arabic script bug https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=8810.0

eg: in screenshot by softcoder, current "New Game" word in Arabic is "ل ع ب ة  ج د ي د ة", but the correct word is "لعبة جديدة"

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 December 2012, 08:18:15 »
Please see this post for a screenshot and let me know if this fixes the problem?

https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=8810.0

K

« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2012, 00:25:35 »
Please see this post for a screenshot and let me know if this fixes the problem?

https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=8810.0

I see ..., yes this is fixes the problem.

Thanks softcoder for quick reponse, and solving the problem.

Zhook

« Reply #17 on: 12 January 2013, 04:21:26 »
Will test it today in Russian.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 January 2013, 00:35:16 »
Thanks for testing. It helps most when you report back after the fact (not before). Thanks.