Author Topic: multiple models per unit  (Read 1230 times)

anonymousjim

multiple models per unit
« on: 4 June 2011, 18:24:07 »
hey, not sure how possible this would be, but could it be done that for one unit there are multiple g3d files that glest picks from randomly?

This could add to the interest of playing.  For instance, if you have an army made up of subtly different soldiers it looks a whole tonne more interesting than one made of all the same.

Just a thought

thanks

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: multiple models per unit
« Reply #1 on: 5 June 2011, 02:05:25 »
To make soldiers look slightly different, it would be easier to use multiple textures than multiple models, though, as Glest is, it loads way too many textures all at once, which means that making even more textures could be a severe impact on the performance (this was a problem the very massive and highly detailed Mrising mod hit before). Both multiple textures and multiple models have been a feature request before, and would best be done by linking the model to the skill. The multiple textures and multiple models ideas would have to be seperate to ensure that the texture never changes on  a single unit, only the model.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 5 June 2011, 02:54:20 »
I think the way to do model variations would be to have each model made up of interchangeable parts.  This is how 0AD does it.  For example, a hoplite might have any one of three different cuirasses, two or three different helmets, a few different heads, and a random shield.  I get the feeling that that is way out of scope, though.  Plus, how many modders are going to want to double or triple their already onerous workload?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 5 June 2011, 05:13:43 »
I think the way to do model variations would be to have each model made up of interchangeable parts.  This is how 0AD does it.  For example, a hoplite might have any one of three different cuirasses, two or three different helmets, a few different heads, and a random shield.  I get the feeling that that is way out of scope, though.  Plus, how many modders are going to want to double or triple their already onerous workload?
Indeed. I think the multiple textures would be easy enough, though, provided that the "too many textures" overload bug could be solved in the future. It would be very easy to change the hue of colors, the insignias, etc, and would make models look a bit more unique, albeit, it could have the negative downside that multiple textures could cause the model to be mistaken for another in fast-paced combat.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 5 June 2011, 05:26:14 »
Funnily enough, this was always on the list for GlestNG.

The alternative subparts bit could be solved with MD5 where you can separate the animation part from the meshes.

OpenGL can also trivially 'tint' textures to a chosen hue, and with the way that Glest can place a base-colour under a semi-transparent texture - who said it had to be teamcolour?  the same could be used for subtle colour changes - there's lots of ways to add variety.

But the biggest would be alternative animation sequences, and animation sequences to join together animations.

Of course a kinetics model with bones e.g. MD5 would make this all easiest on the modeller.

anonymousjim

« Reply #5 on: 5 June 2011, 06:34:32 »
hmmm, yeah, I get what's being said... The texture load thing is a bit annoying.  Wouldn't having multiple parts make it even more compicated?

Doubling or tripling the workload isn't such a bad thing if the results turn out good!

but yeah, I guess not then...

anything