Author Topic: Anyone got a windows compiled copy of the latest svn?  (Read 3312 times)

Mr War

Hi, does anyone have a compiled copy of the svn they can share. I'm still using 3.5.2 which great but lacks many of the recent features. Also an idiots guide on how to install the svn without destroying anything

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got a windows compiled copy of the latest svn?
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2011, 12:15:00 »
I have the binares, but you would also need the updated datastructures, so i recommed getting:
http://www.sliksvn.com/en/download

this is what the batfile uses for compiling and stamping the build.

Then you need to checkout this web adress (this is the feature the progam gives you acess to, also, i dont use silkSVN for checking out myself, i use tortoiseSVN)
https://megaglest.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/megaglest/trunk

« Last Edit: 21 July 2011, 12:39:21 by Coldfusionstorm »
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2011, 14:07:35 »
I'll try to get an alpha build out possibly this weekend.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2011, 19:37:24 »
How to compile MG: Windows  |  Linux
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 18:40:43 by filux »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2011, 20:42:53 »
we have been through this a thousand times Omega surely?

VC++ and end users don't mix.

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2011, 20:45:16 »
vc++ is NEEDED. However all you need to do is actually install it.

There is a build_mg.bat file in the mk folder in when you have checked out. with vc++ installed it just clicking that bat file and it compiles.
WiP Game developer.
"i break stuff"

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2011, 21:11:18 »
No, what end users really NEED is an MSI

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2011, 21:19:01 »
No, all Mr War needs to do is try to follow those directions, and then join the IRC Channel if he needs help. It's not that hard...

Anyways, as I've said before just PM me when you need a new copy. I'll make one later today, using a different computer currently.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2011, 06:28:09 »
The whole thing is though, only advanced modders and programmers really need the SVN. The regular "end user" doesn't need a buggy, untested program, they need a stabler release or at least an official beta, which are at the discretion of the MG team (Softcoder mentioned releasing an alpha soon). For those who really do need the SVN, it changes far too much to be useful to rely on people to upload it (by the time it's downloaded, it's likely been changed at least once).

I was once in Mr War's place here, I was far too intimidated by the number of things that had to be downloaded to wish to build it myself. However, I eventually decided in some free time to take a closer look at the window's compiling guide (for GAE, I've never compiled MG before, but hear it may even be easier), and was actually surprised by how simple it was. The page mentioned before gives simple step by step directions, and there isn't that many (you'll spend most of your time waiting as it downloads and later compiles, and those with slow internet like mine will spend more time on the former, even). I didn't even have experience on how to do that, it was my first time download a large project and building it, with most of my previous work being with dynamic languages, and when trying to learn c++, it was pretty simple, no downloading or external libraries or anything. Never even used cmake before.

The bottom line is, very few people truly need the SVN version, and those that do are more than capable of compiling it themself, they just have to take a look at the wonderfully written guide, I'm sure they'll find it quite easy to do. If you can figure out how to use Blender, compiling MG/GAE is as easy as pie!

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2011, 06:53:24 »
Yep, the build batch makes it even easier!
Anyways, here ya go.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2bnbnf9p0z7l4w8
I would say generally SVN HEAD is better than "stable" releases, usually. Whether it's new features...or improvements. Same goes for GAE too, with Git Master.
Edit: Updated Datastructures? Huh? I guess a lot has changed in the past few weeks...

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2011, 11:34:12 »
No, what end users really NEED is an MSI

I might sound a little harsh by saying this, but then SVN is not for you. i don't care what endusers need, if you need it badly enough, you can compile it yourself.

(for ultifd , data stucture changes happen in general, wich is why i recommended SVN, the time i would spent finding the correct .exe/bin file that fits, would be shorter by simply installing vc++, sliksvn,and compile.), i have been compiling emulators for wow servers too, and there were no smart one-click button compilation, and they included things you had to build in addtion to the main files to get full functionality)

In short:anyone that can use blender can build MG.
WiP Game developer.
"i break stuff"

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2011, 15:08:59 »
Please guys no need to fight. Its ok that some people build from svn and some dont, really its ok! We'll get a build hopefully for the weekend as previously mentioned.

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2011, 15:19:14 »
Please guys no need to fight. Its ok that some people build from svn and some dont, really its ok! We'll get a build hopefully for the weekend as previously mentioned.

yes it is entirely OK. thats my point.!
WiP Game developer.
"i break stuff"

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2011, 23:48:13 »
Will it be posted here?
Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2011, 23:54:33 »
3.2.3-alpha1 for windows is posted:

http://www.soft-haus.com/glest/temp/megaglest3.5.3-alpha1_i386_win32_bin.exe

Please report feedback in the forums.

Mr War

« Reply #15 on: 24 July 2011, 09:18:34 »
Thanks ultifd and softcoder :D

Mr War

« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2011, 11:00:32 »
3.2.3-alpha1 for windows is posted:

http://www.soft-haus.com/glest/temp/megaglest3.5.3-alpha1_i386_win32_bin.exe

Please report feedback in the forums.
I get error #2. Cannot open team_color_texture.tga - looked in \MegaGlest\data\core\misc_textures\ and can say that there isn't a tga for team color there (folder unchanged since 3.5.2)

I copied & renamed the water texture in the core folder to be team_color_texture and it works - not sure if this has any impact on game.

Screen res setting seems changed from whatever was default in 3.5.2

Thanks though.

Mr War

« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2011, 21:43:24 »
Just to say I'm working with the alpha adding stuff that uses most of the new features, which are very cool. Thanks devs

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2011, 22:05:56 »
Thanks for trying them out. Please report any feedback / bugs as you discover things.

Thanks

TotalNoob

« Reply #20 on: 31 July 2011, 18:51:26 »
Here's what I've noticed in Alpha so far:

* In options menu labels are not centered to the corresponding options.

* If language is changed, game does not read the MEGAGLEST_FONT option from language file (font is not changed according to what is set in file - needs game restart to take effect) In case of polish translation it is important since not all font settings support all polish chars
* Loading persian faction causes this error (below), game does not crash though.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #21 on: 31 July 2011, 23:10:34 »
First of all, thanks for the feedback!

I assume you mean that option labels seem to have a different (vertical) baseline than their respective values? I agree this seems to be the case on your screen shot.

* If language is changed, game does not read the MEGAGLEST_FONT option from language file (font is not changed according to what is set in file - needs game restart to take effect) In case of polish translation it is important since not all font settings support all polish chars

So the game should display a "basic options changed, please restart the game to apply" or similar window there.

* Loading persian faction causes this error (below), game does not crash though.

I think that's a known bug and it's also known that it needs to be and how to fix it.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: 1 August 2011, 04:36:04 »

I see two ways of interpretting this, not sure which you mean, though I suppose both are incorrect.

So the game should display a "basic options changed, please restart the game to apply" or similar window there.
"These changes require MegaGlest to restart, do you wish to do this now?" would be a good idea, and giving a yes/no option where yes will automatically restart the program, whereas no will allow them to stay in the options menu, to allow them to make any more changes first. This would be given when they try and leave the options menu, and they cannot leave until they allow the program to restart. Possibly if they return that setting to whatever it was before, it will allow them to exit the menu without having to restart.

TotalNoob

« Reply #23 on: 1 August 2011, 10:03:28 »
Yes, I've meant what you selected with yellow rectangles. This red one also might be considered as incorrect but it is not that bad. It seems to be centered to the labels not to the labels and values (though it looks like left side of the screen is centered in a different way than the right side :P ).

TotalNoob

« Reply #24 on: 5 August 2011, 13:01:01 »
In Alpha I've also noticed that after the battle on screen with score results there was a significant dropdown in frames per second (mouse pointer lagged). Maybe it is because I got some problem with graphics driver compliancy (trees as sticks and so on). I did not notice that in 3.5.2. Is any additional preview displayed then (which I don't see), which was not in 3.5.2?

anything