Author Topic: Best time for a multiplayer game?  (Read 1207 times)

Psychedelic_hands

Best time for a multiplayer game?
« on: 30 July 2011, 06:10:21 »
I tried my first multiplayer match the other day now my computer doesn't lag so much, and I was surprised at how small the community actually is   :-[ I find it really difficult to find some other players.

What time does everyone else usually play megaglest?
« Last Edit: 30 July 2011, 07:09:30 by Psychedelic_hands »

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
Re: Best time for a multiplayer game?
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2011, 10:23:55 »
Usually, if you host and hang around doing some other stuff (watching out for the trumpet sound) you have a pretty good chance to have someone join within 1 to 60 minutes at any time during any day. More likely, though, you will want to play with someone who is close (in terms of network infrastructure) to you - this usually means it's best to host during times when most people in your area have some spare time, meaning usually afternoons and early evenings (say 3 PM to 9 PM) for younger players and evenings/nights (say 7 PM to 2 AM) for adult players. During the weekends the most active times are usually more towards the ends of these phases for adult players, while youngsters may even start playing in the morning.

Of course it does also matter how many people there are in a given time zone who can afford to spend time playing games on the Internet and where Internet accesses are sufficient to play the game, i.e. stable low/medium latency connections providing sufficient bandwidth (see http://FAQ.megaglest.org for details on what's required). My experience is that most people matching these criteria are located in North America (also South America, but connectivity is more often than not an issue there), Europe including western Russia and Australia. There are other well connected locations which less players live in, such as South Africa and Japan. Put shortly, most players fitting the above criteria are actually from Europe and North America (mostly USA + Canada), so you may want to go with their time zones and within those, the periods I sketched up above
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2011, 16:08:57 »
Well, for some reason there's a lot more people when we have a multiplayer session...
What's your timezone, hands?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2011, 05:14:15 »
Hmm, not sure if there's many other aussies, sorry hands.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2011, 05:49:47 »
Hmm, not sure if there's many other aussies, sorry hands.
Silnarm and Hailstone are. But I can't see them playing much MG :P
I don't think time zones are too big of an issue as I'm on at lots of different times.

Well, for some reason there's a lot more people when we have a multiplayer session...
What's your timezone, hands?
UTC/GMT +10 hours, So when is the next multiplayer session then?

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2011, 07:35:06 »
Actually we have had Australian people play MegaGlest, before. Maybe they still are?

Ah, thanks. I didn't know what part of Australia you lived in... :P
So...wow, +17 hours foward from my timezone. Titi and tomreyn are +9.

Anyways I think it'll be at least another month till another session...I don't think titi is back (not sure).
But usually, if you want to play, I think the best time for you is in the morning. 6 AM, 7AM, etc. Usually, at least before Titi, tomreyn, and I are there. Make sure you join the IRC Channel, just in case.

Last time we had the session, there were more than 10 people playing, I think. That's actually a lot of people though... :P

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2011, 08:16:04 »
Actually we have had Australian people play MegaGlest, before. Maybe they still are?

Ah, thanks. I didn't know what part of Australia you lived in... :P
So...wow, +17 hours foward from my timezone. Titi and tomreyn are +9.

Anyways I think it'll be at least another month till another session...I don't think titi is back (not sure).
But usually, if you want to play, I think the best time for you is in the morning. 6 AM, 7AM, etc. Usually, at least before Titi, tomreyn, and I are there. Make sure you join the IRC Channel, just in case.

Last time we had the session, there were more than 10 people playing, I think. That's actually a lot of people though... :P

6 AM  :confused: Errr, maybe not...
Bad news about the waiting another month... Maybe it could become a set monthly thing?  :P
I just want to become more active in the community and maybe get others to as well. ( and also improve my terrible glest skillz).

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2011, 08:24:19 »
Hmm...how about later on in the morning? :P Otherwise what time do you usually have time to play?
Yeah, I know. I need to too...

anything