Author Topic: .MD5 model format support, coming soon?  (Read 4079 times)

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
.MD5 model format support, coming soon?
« on: 14 October 2011, 05:10:34 »
Yes! I have a crude .OBJ working example and will integrate in MG shortly. This should allow people to animate models much easier since OBJ is supported by many modelling programs (including the new Blender).
« Last Edit: 14 October 2011, 18:46:46 by tomreyn »

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Re: .OBJ model format support, coming soon ???
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2011, 05:28:23 »
Nevermind! .OBJ files don't support animation! Grrr.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2011, 05:41:13 »
Nevermind! .OBJ files don't support animation! Grrr.

I was about to say...  ::)

A good format which would be nice is MD5, aslo I heard .dae is meant to pretty much be capable of anything.. (though I get the feeling it's very complex). I think it would be awesome if the engine could support multiple formats.

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2011, 05:53:11 »
.OBJ is still good because, as you say, its a good interchange format.

If static models could be .OBJ then it would be that much easier for others to edit; no chasing around looking for an original nor needing an importer.

An interesting tangent is OBJF; supporting OBJF (or running the algorithm inside Glest on our models - even the animated ones!) would make mods a much much smaller download (at least 25% saving on total .7z output size from my early tests).

The next model format to support would be MD2.  It is analogous to G3D but, again, you can import and export it into various artwork programs that little bit more easily.

MD5 is bone-based and, if Glest supported it, would be super.  MD5 would need some special bone naming convention such as 'turret' and 'barrel' and flags in the name string so we can know which bits to tilt with the terrain and to face the enemy and so on.

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2011, 06:19:59 »
Ok I have some MD5 code working, so I'll see how far i can go with MD5. OBJ would be good for static models that don't animate, but for now I'll focus on MD5.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2011, 06:22:50 »
.OBJ is still good because, as you say, its a good interchange format.

If static models could be .OBJ then it would be that much easier for others to edit; no chasing around looking for an original nor needing an importer.
I don't actually see that helping at all, since a very small number of models are static (usually just tileset and some buildings), and having to use two different importers for inconsistent model types would be a hindrance.

MD5 is bone-based and, if Glest supported it, would be super.  MD5 would need some special bone naming convention such as 'turret' and 'barrel' and flags in the name string so we can know which bits to tilt with the terrain and to face the enemy and so on.
MD5 would definitely be an improvement, on the other hand, as it supports animation, could cut back on filesize (since you'd have one file that describes the mesh, and then numerous files for the bones, rather than having the mesh and bones for each animation), could potentially be used to allow turrets as Will mentioned (by naming specific bones (or meshes?), with projectiles that have an offset, perhaps you could refer to a bone name for the location of this offset, could allow animations to be "merged" rather than replacing the model with a new one (provided the mesh is the same), etc.

As well, the importing and exporting of MD5 is far, far better than G3D. Rather than our homebrew importer and exporter, there's existing importers and exporters for various modeling programs, so we wouldn't force people to use Blender. Plus, you could import animations (the inability to do so with G3D is a royal pain). In addition, it's a better known format, so a knowledgeable modeler won't necessarily have to install any extra software, but could likely export to it easily enough, and the format is well documented.

Original GAE discussion on MD5
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2011, 08:27:07 »
While i agree that filesize are important what i think is MORE important is Quality Vs filesize.
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Re: .MD5 model format support, coming soon?
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2011, 08:40:40 »
Finally made some great progress. I have some working code that loads and animates MD5 models with textures. This code supports GLSL shaders and bump mapping, bones etc. I had Elimnator create something simple in Blender and i ma able to display it. Next step is to carefully plumb this into the megaglest code, but I finally found some code that a) works b) isn't overly complex c) is light-weight d) is cross platform.

david

« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2011, 08:54:24 »
Hi,

I encourage you to make these files easier to edit.
The feedback I have received from friends who tested the game is that mg is not to be very pretty.
For my part I tried to find a way to edit these files, in vain.
I was not sure that I could help on this, but I could not even tried.
So maybe, do this file more accessible would increase contributions and mg would gain in beauty

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2011, 06:56:12 »
Hi,

I encourage you to make these files easier to edit.
The feedback I have received from friends who tested the game is that mg is not to be very pretty.
For my part I tried to find a way to edit these files, in vain.
I was not sure that I could help on this, but I could not even tried.
So maybe, do this file more accessible would increase contributions and mg would gain in beauty
This is just the model format, and won't really make much of a noticeable change in graphics. Most noticeable would be smoother animations, and shaders and bump mapping would have an impact on larger models, but only if the modeler decides to use them. Though it does make modeling slightly easier, as well, and gives more room for expansion.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2011, 16:36:25 »
With .MD5 I think you can have shaders and bump mapping.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2011, 17:33:07 »
MD5 is a very good idea and fixes our problem with non working exporters in newer blenders too!
The only thing why I am a bit concerned about this at the moment is the fact that we are ( hopefully ) very close to a release and may get some bad sideeffects with this. I think softcoder must decide what is best.
At least we should NOT add any MD5 data for the next release.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 October 2011, 21:41:13 »
Agreed. I think i might only checkin the code so we don't lose it, but we will need plenty of time to test / modify things to work the way we want. The good news is that I was able to hookup the code to show an MD5 model on the intro screen. This is only a test to prove it works in real MG code, we won't use any MD5 stuff at all for the upcoming release (and i wont commit this test intro screen code).

treba

« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2011, 14:27:22 »
really nice step to make the engine more powerfull and lowering the barriers for new modders at the same time.
i really like to see the next release, especially with the headles server.

are there any plans atm to make scenarios available in mp?
thats the thing i personally miss the most :/

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2011, 15:44:16 »
are there any plans atm to make scenarios available in mp?
thats the thing i personally miss the most :/

That's kind of off-topic here. Please post a separate thread in the feature request forum (unless it's already there).
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 October 2011, 07:21:42 »
So, whats up with this md5 thing, is it kinda paused untill after 3.6.0 or ?
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #16 on: 31 October 2011, 10:17:53 »
yes
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

anything