Author Topic: New experimental OS X build  (Read 1386 times)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
New experimental OS X build
« on: 16 October 2011, 02:05:12 »
Weltall, a developer who usually spends his spare time on Planeshift (which is, like MegaGlest, part of the Free Game Aliiance) has recently worked on building the latest development revisions of MegaGlest for OS X.

Today, after many hours of work on it, he finally succeeded in making a first experimental build:

[Link removed, we now have newer builds, see the 3.5.3 beta1 release announcement]

Since I don't have an OS X system available I cannot test it myself, but the way you should get this to work is to unpack this archive to your Desktop, then open the megaglest-osx_3.5.3-dev+r2653 folder and execute (I think you would double-click) the megaglest file.

In case of any trouble, please re-run the game from a terminal window to be sure what's going wrong. You can also run it with the --verbose option to get more output (this can be useful if there are networking issues).

Since none of us in the MegaGlest team have OS X available, we're glad to have Weltall help out there, like M0ellemeister and others have done in the past. Please note, however, that this is a an experimental development build so we cannot guarantee that you'll get timely feedback to any questions or bug reports here. Please do report any bugs you come across on this thread, though - we will try to make Weltall aware of them.

Edit #1: Whoops I accidentially moved Planeshift to Iran instead of Italy.
Edit #2: I repackaged this as suggested by weltall. If you downloaded the earlier version (3 archives) please state so when reporting any issues.
« Last Edit: 5 November 2011, 02:38:20 by tomreyn »
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

m0ellemeister

Re: New experimental OS X build
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2011, 21:34:58 »
i've just downloaded the repackaged zip file and played a quick single player custom game (in windowed mode) on my OSX SnowLeopard. I've noticed one thing: in the options dialog i had to hit <ctrl>+<backspace> to delete "newbie" in the field for the nick name. Just hitting <backspace> should be enough. Maybe this is kinda platform related issue. I didn't tested any further yet. Great work so far. It would be cool to get this packaged the "Macintosh" way(.dmg image, installation by drag and drop to the program folder).

Will all needed patches for OSX be available in SVN in the future?

weltall

« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2011, 23:09:42 »
it could be a bug in the cocoa interface (megaglest side)
As for the .app folder i was thinking to check for it later the main problem we are having is that the wxwidget based apps just show listening on <random number> and do nothing. another problem is that streflop being enabled fails the compilation in the same apps.
As for the patches to get it to build it's all already in svn merged by softcoder (you use the standard makefile way not xcode way)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2011, 23:22:22 »
As for the patches to get it to build it's all already in svn merged by softcoder (you use the standard makefile way not xcode way)
That's in revision 2660.

Unfortunatley the Mac Compiling wiki page - no registration required to edit (hint, hint!) - is outdated now.

Here's a little bit of info on how to build which weltall provided on IRC:

Code: [Select]
<softcoder> what about dependencies
<weltall> i use macports
<weltall> but you could build all manually if you had the wish or use even fink i think

About how to build:
Code: [Select]
<weltall> As a start i've excluded using xcode :P
<weltall> then the easy way doesn't provide you binaries working on all platforms
<weltall> as other mac outside yours
<weltall> to make it find libraries you've to edit the link path data which is builtin in the binary
<weltall> differently than linux where ld searches for the first hit
<weltall> except for the ld library itself
<weltall> lucky enough you can use some sort of env variables like @executable_path
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 12:59:08 by filux »
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·