Author Topic: i can't import .g3d!  (Read 1709 times)

james876

i can't import .g3d!
« on: 25 October 2011, 03:37:35 »
blender2.49b can't import .g3d file.
I use the operating system is: win7 32bit Thank you!

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
Re: i can't import .g3d!
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2011, 13:45:36 »
For importing you should use a newer blender version, there is a script somewhere on the forums for the new blender.
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2011, 19:48:42 »
Quoting myself from yesterdays' IRC chat with james876:
<tomreyn> also check https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=7230.0
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2011, 04:45:37 »
For importing you should use a newer blender version, there is a script somewhere on the forums for the new blender.
Uh, why should we encourage the use of 2.5x when most people still seem to use 2.4x, and 2.5x doesn't even have an exporter available? The importer for 2.4x is available here.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2011, 04:48:27 »
Uh, why should we encourage the use of 2.5x when most people still seem to use 2.4x, and 2.5x doesn't even have an exporter available? The importer for 2.4x is available here.

He did not encourage just informing what was used for importing.

Encourge is something alonge the lines of "you should really use this with the importer script"
WiP Game developer.
"i break stuff"

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2011, 08:52:13 »
Coldfusionstorm thats wrong. We don't have a working blender export script for blender >2.49b . We only have an import script for it which is quite useless by this.
What we have is:
A working export and import script for blender up to 2.49b.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2011, 11:07:54 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2011, 13:02:43 »
Right, the forum link I posted wasn't too useful and may have been misleading.

About the importer, it's probably better to point to the latest revision. Also, the 'modelling section on the Blender wiki page currently points to a an 'Import script' page which points to a directory on glest.org which doesn't contain a script called g3d_support.py (which the text on the same page refers to). Maybe someone with more insight into modelling than me could update the wiki?

Finally, windows users may not know how to run a python script. It might be good to either explain how to do this (I assume you want the Activestate python distribution?) or to provide a precompiled .exe.

All these things will probably get easier when we get to use MD5.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 16:43:15 by filux »
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2011, 13:17:26 »
Right, the forum link I posted wasn't too useful and may have been misleading.

About the importer, it's probably better to point to the latest revision. Also, the 'modelling section on the Blender wiki page currently points to a an 'Import script' page which points to a directory on glest.org which doesn't contain a script called g3d_support.py (which the text on the same page refers to). Maybe someone with more insight into modelling than me could update the wiki?

Finally, windows users may not know how to run a python script. It might be good to either explain how to do this (I assume you want the Activestate python distribution?) or to provide a precompiled .exe.

Python on Windows is as easy as google-download-install.

But for windows versions i remember it as blender comes with a prepackaged python compiler for its version.( that means no download of python required for scripts to work)

« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 16:40:48 by filux »
WiP Game developer.
"i break stuff"

james876

« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2011, 03:26:57 »
Well, I made a model, how do I save it as. G3d file? I choose menu-file-export-G3d XML Exporter Ver1.1, but I can only save as. Xml file, can not be saved as. G3d.
 BTW: How do I save a file type megaglest? Example: character0.g3d file type: megagle (. G3d)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2011, 05:47:46 »
Gah, this topic is starting to become a mess...

About the importer, it's probably better to point to the latest revision.
Um, did you compare the files? They're the exact same. I linked to a specific revision as security against possible changes (eg, if the file ever becomes replaced by one meant for 2.5x only). It's just like if you wish to quote text on the wiki, it's best to quote a specific revision, as there's no guarantee that future versions will say the same text.

Also, the 'modelling section on the Blender wiki page currently points to a an 'Import script' page which points to a directory on glest.org which doesn't contain a script called g3d_support.py (which the text on the same page refers to). Maybe someone with more insight into modelling than me could update the wiki?
There's nothing mentioned on the page you linked, I presume you refer to the page on the import script? That page is a mess (there should never even be an exclamation mark on the wiki pages), and in need of a rewrite, but I haven't time for that. However, your issue with the link is incorrect, the file is most certainly there (though should be pointed to the newer version of the importer in the MegaGlest SVN when the page is rewritten), just not called g3d_support.py. The file name on glest.org is g3dimport_export_beta.zip. The g3d_support.py file is contained inside that zip file.

You don't seem to understand how blender uses these scripts. None of them should be compiled, blender will read them and use them accordingly to perform certain functions. You simply place the script in a certain folder (which sadly has multiple different locations, depending on where you tell blender to create the scripts folder on installation; for example, I told blender to make the scripts folder in the installation directory. The default is to use appdata).

Mhm, though compatibility will be an issue until both engines support the format. Mods made with both engines in mind will be going same ol', same ol' for the meantime. But... we've been doing it this way for years, it's really not very difficult if you can follow basic instructions.

Well, I made a model, how do I save it as. G3d file? I choose menu-file-export-G3d XML Exporter Ver1.1, but I can only save as. Xml file, can not be saved as. G3d.
 BTW: How do I save a file type megaglest? Example: character0.g3d file type: megagle (. G3d)
Now this confuses me... I thought we were importing a model? Now we're exporting? Anyway, follow the instructions on the wiki. https://docs.megaglest.org/Exporter
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 14:02:10 by filux »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2011, 13:15:45 »

this is because you need the .exe file that does the actual conversion to the g3d format. I can't help you myself with this since i don't have 2.49 installed and basically just is waiting for md5 support to become implemented.
WiP Game developer.
"i break stuff"

anything