Author Topic: Various suggestions (Victor)  (Read 3135 times)

victorj

Various suggestions (Victor)
« on: 31 October 2011, 15:57:35 »
Hi team, I wanted to play that could exist:

Play campaign mode, you can save the game,

upgrade level constructions of buildings, as in "Age of Empires" "Wargraft"
Age of Empires fans. find lack of key buildings in the upgrade MegaGlest

a good suggestion, was to have blood during the battle ...

longest matches with larger armies, in the style of Age of Empire

Aquatic attack with boats ...

could have general village, as in the Age of Empire, ruler of the village

factions can speak their native language, speak in Roman and Romans, the more it is not very important, I prefer the other suggestions first

Thank you for your cooperation  :D
« Last Edit: 2 November 2011, 11:10:05 by victorj »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: the future of megaglest
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2011, 19:42:45 »
Durability
Care to emphasize?

Campaign Mode game, you can save the game
Both common feature requests, but despite game saving existing in GAE, MegaGlest doesn't seem to have any plans to import the feature any time soon.

the existence of level buildings in the style of Warcraft, Age of Empires
That's somewhat possible with mods. In AoE, advancing the 'age' changed the looks of all units, which cannot be done [yet], but it would be possible to have units capable of individually "upgrading" themselves into a newer one. GAE's subfaction feature (not yet in MegaGlest) would allow an upgrade to effect the entire faction better, such as prohibiting the production of an older "age" unit in newer ages while allowing the units from the new "age" to be produced. Likewise, subfactions could allow older units to be given a new morph command to upgrade to the current age units. This would be basically the same as how Civilization upgrades their units when the "age" in the game advances.

However, even GAE's implementation of subfactions is buggy (AI issues), and like game saving, there's no known plan to implement them in MegaGlest yet, though I would expect that at some point of the future, someone would hopefully implement them or an equivalent. Again, though, these would require someone to make a mod using such ideas. Don't expect much for major changes to the default MegaPack. After all, trying to add just one "age" to the MegaPack would probably translate to over a year of modelling.

a good suggestion was to have blood during the battle would be more exciting
Technically, modders could add fake blood to the unit's attacks, with a splash particle, but there'd be the issue of indiscriminate bleeding, in other words, anything that gets attacked would have blood fly, whether it's a building or even a miss. For optimal blood, there'd have to be some type of "on hit" skill, to give a unit a different model/particle/whatever when they get hit by an attack. While that could be cool for eye candy such as having the unit flinch when hit, it would overall not work very well, and I would hardly consider it worth the effort. I'm not familiar with many RTS's having blood anyway. Doesn't really fit our target audience anyway.

and the war tactics of Age of Empires example: to attack the water, boat, would be a good option, the Roman attack ... You can also have the head of the village, eg. Faction Egyptian pharaoh
I have no idea what you mean by that, sorry. Could you rephrase/elaborate?

lines from the original languages ​​of each faction example: How is the Japanese faction
Not sure what you mean, again. If you mean having some characters in the factions "language" appear, such as Japanese characters on their buildings, or alien characters on an alien faction, that's entirely up to the modder. They could, for example, make those characters appear in the models, or on the icons, the command buttons, etc. However, if you mean making all text appear in that language, you'd have to translate the entire game (More info) and choose that as your language. Of course, it can't be set as a default or anything, as most people don't speak Japanese, for example.

many who play these games complain that the lack of level
[Citation needed]

Oh, and on a side note, it's best to make each feature request an individual thread, though do note that saving games, campaign modes, etc, already have several, and don't need another.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 18:42:48 by filux »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 1 November 2011, 02:31:31 »
I wouldn't listen much to Omega as his comments in regards to Megaglest come from a person who hates it, he is a GAE fan. Actually I'm starting to wonder why he comments so often on a game he has nothing to do with.

Anyways, thanks for the comments victorj, we will consider your requests.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 1 November 2011, 04:04:00 »
I wouldn't listen much to Omega as his comments in regards to Megaglest come from a person who hates it
[Citation needed]

I see only legitimate replies. Prove a single bit of my reply in any way shows "hate" for MegaGlest. I, for one, would support seeing GAE merged into MG.

I mention campaigns and game saving are common feature requests, and multiple requests for the same feature are unnecessary. I'm sure you already know people want game saving; it doesn't have to be brought up again. I mentioned that a large implementation of "ages" (which has been requested before) is available in GAE. That's fact. The presence of a feature in one engine would mean it would be easier to implement in another. That's a good thing. I point out GAE's implementation of subfactions is flawed, and should MegaGlest implement them, they would need to be tweaked to be usable.

And then finally, I comment that blood seems to be unnecessary, and would require modders to implement the feature into their mods in order to be useful (unless we want bleeding castles), making more work for them if anyone wants to see this blood, which we'd presume would also be turned on in options setting, as some may find it controversial.

Now, show me why you shouldn't listen to Omega much in my comments, Softcoder. I think you need to be less segregated and consider the bigger picture; improving MegaGlest.

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 1 November 2011, 04:56:16 »
Ok my comment was wrong, I am sorry.

Mr War

« Reply #5 on: 1 November 2011, 18:05:29 »
As a community dedicated to an excellent but less well known RTS engine, we should welcome feedback and suggestions from new members, and avoid unintentionally deterring such inputs by our responses. Just a thought.

victorj

« Reply #6 on: 2 November 2011, 01:23:18 »
hi, I was not quite what I said, I like megaglest too, played a lot at the time of Glest also,

I do not know how to speak English right .. that is why I answered wrong

I wanted it to speak of the original country, as we say in Persian "English "????, attack and tactics of the time of the Emperor as the Romans attacked at that time,

wanted the build level increases as the Age of Empiure.

I did not understand what you told me about the blood "blood in constructions?"

wanted blood during the fighting,

armies as large as total war, would be nice !!!!!

larger maps you know?

attack on the water with boats, eg boats he possessed faction england.

I love megaglest!!!

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2 November 2011, 01:45:33 »
I wouldn't listen much to Omega as his comments in regards to Megaglest come from a person who hates it
[Citation needed]

I see only legitimate replies. Prove a single bit of my reply in any way shows "hate" for MegaGlest. I, for one, would support seeing GAE merged into MG.

I mention campaigns and game saving are common feature requests, and multiple requests for the same feature are unnecessary. I'm sure you already know people want game saving; it doesn't have to be brought up again. I mentioned that a large implementation of "ages" (which has been requested before) is available in GAE. That's fact. The presence of a feature in one engine would mean it would be easier to implement in another. That's a good thing. I point out GAE's implementation of subfactions is flawed, and should MegaGlest implement them, they would need to be tweaked to be usable.

And then finally, I comment that blood seems to be unnecessary, and would require modders to implement the feature into their mods in order to be useful (unless we want bleeding castles), making more work for them if anyone wants to see this blood, which we'd presume would also be turned on in options setting, as some may find it controversial.

Now, show me why you shouldn't listen to Omega much in my comments, Softcoder. I think you need to be less segregated and consider the bigger picture; improving MegaGlest.

If there was a like button, i would like this!
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

victorj

« Reply #8 on: 2 November 2011, 01:48:52 »
[Citation needed]

I talked to Tom Reynolds, he told me to post my suggestions here, he was attentive to me, said he liked the suggestions, I sent by e-mail to him.
Omega I know of doing this work suggested that the megaglest for you, think well Glest more needs to evolve.

thank you

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #9 on: 2 November 2011, 08:56:53 »
Victor: Thanks for posting your feature requests, that's indeed much better than sending them by e-mail. Knowing that there are people like you wh love this game makes those who contribute to it (that includes me, though I don't program it) happy. :)
Unfortunately it's not easy to understand what you are suggesting / requesting, since your translation is not so good. Try to form short and concise sentences. Then use machine translation (such as Google translator) to ensure you translated correctly. Please also try to pick a more specific subject line - "the future of MegaGlest" is very broad (and basically all feature requests are about the future of MegaGlest). You can change the topic of this thread by editing your first post.

Omega: Please try to not dissect the first forum post of someone who just registered like you did. It's good to point out issues, but "citation needed" comments aren't very helpful.

Softcoder: Thanks for taking back this statement. While I don't disagree that Omegas' tendency to make unbalanced comparisons of way too many topics posted on this forum to some other game, I also think this is not the topic of this thread, but it's something worth reflecting on elsewhere.

Everyone, let's please keep this thread positive, and most of all on topic, dedicated to the feature requests Victor has posted. Thank you.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

victorj

« Reply #10 on: 2 November 2011, 11:10:24 »
Hi team, I wanted to play that could exist:

Play campaign mode, you can save the game,

upgrade level constructions of buildings, as in "Age of Empires" "Wargraft"
Age of Empires fans. find lack of key buildings in the upgrade MegaGlest

a good suggestion, was to have blood during the battle ...

longest matches with larger armies, in the style of Age of Empire

Aquatic attack with boats ...

could have general village, as in the Age of Empire, ruler of the village

factions can speak their native language, speak in Roman and Romans, the more it is not very important, I prefer the other suggestions first

Thank you for your cooperation  :D

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
    • Hageus_Iaponicus(@Hageus_Hagekura)さん | Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 2 November 2011, 20:53:16 »
One way to add blood effect to units is assigning blood-like splash particle to the unit's attack skill. but this makes whatever the unit attacks, the blood splash will be displayed. for example, If you add blood splash particle to swordsman's attack skill, and the swordsman attacks enemy human units, it is ok. but if the swordsman attacks building, it will be looks like the attacked building is bleeding.

Second way is to add blood-splash mesh in the unit's death animations like Ishmaru did in his Annex mod, but in this way the blood only displayed when the unit is died.

GAE supports naval units and some mods like Omega's Apocalyptic Dawn mod(former military mod) and Mr.war's Imperial mod(GAE version) has naval units. also John.d.h's project Red(a mod pack for GAE which includes Original glest's magic and tech faction)  will have naval units. but currently MG doesn't support naval units. I also think it would be great if MG supports naval units in future (I also think it is not urgently needed feature though).

Yeah I also think it's good to have historical factions have their native language voices.
but this is completely depends on efforts of the modders who creates the factions.
For me, I could add japanese voices to my japanese faction, because I'm japanese and I can speak japanese.
but Add native voices to factions is very hard for modder who creates the faction that is not his native country, except he could find good donor of natives.
thus I think Add native voices in Roman faction is very difficult, since there are not so many native latin speakers in the world today. :|
Bushido to iu wa shinu koto to mitsuketari.

Japanese Faction Mod

victorj

« Reply #12 on: 3 November 2011, 09:56:39 »
One way to add blood effect to units is assigning blood-like splash particle to the unit's attack skill. but this makes whatever the unit attacks, the blood splash will be displayed. for example, If you add blood splash particle to swordsman's attack skill, and the swordsman attacks enemy human units, it is ok. but if the swordsman attacks building, it will be looks like the attacked building is bleeding.

Second way is to add blood-splash mesh in the unit's death animations like Ishmaru did in his Annex mod, but in this way the blood only displayed when the unit is died.

GAE supports naval units and some mods like Omega's Apocalyptic Dawn mod(former military mod) and Mr.war's Imperial mod(GAE version) has naval units. also John.d.h's project Red(a mod pack for GAE which includes Original glest's magic and tech faction)  will have naval units. but currently MG doesn't support naval units. I also think it would be great if MG supports naval units in future (I also think it is not urgently needed feature though).

Yeah I also think it's good to have historical factions have their native language voices.
but this is completely depends on efforts of the modders who creates the factions.
For me, I could add japanese voices to my japanese faction, because I'm japanese and I can speak japanese.
but Add native voices to factions is very hard for modder who creates the faction that is not his native country, except he could find good donor of natives.
thus I think Add native voices in Roman faction is very difficult, since there are not so many native latin speakers in the world today. :|

Hi, thanks for posting:)

something important is missing, having more server online 24 hours, a key thing in any game, and have difficulty with creating an environment, it does not speak English very well.

I am Brazilian  ;)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #13 on: 3 November 2011, 10:10:39 »
Since this is more a discussion thread about many different topics I've moved this thread to the main forum. You can file proper feature requests, one feature per thread, in the feature requests forum after reading the Read Me First thread (that's the sticky thread on the 'feature requests' forum).

Naval units: I bet naval units would require modifications to the A.I. to make them work properly. I bet GAE are lacking those (but have not tried). Amphibian units (which can travel on both water and land) would also be nice. I think both has been discussed before.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: 3 November 2011, 20:45:48 »
Naval units: I bet naval units would require modifications to the A.I. to make them work properly. I bet GAE are lacking those (but have not tried). Amphibian units (which can travel on both water and land) would also be nice. I think both has been discussed before.
Well, naval units alone, the AI can use fine, it's the concept of having a land unit build a water unit it struggles with in GAE, at the moment. For example, in Apocalyptic Dawn, the dock is a water unit that can be built by the land only engineer (formerly known as the Private; the worker type unit of the faction). It's meant so that it would be built in shallow water or deep water bordering shallow water, and that works well with human players, but the AI doesn't understand how to build it. However, if supplied with a dock (interestingly, placing a unit with scenarios handles water units quite well), the AI can produce and use water units to the full. They don't use the transit ship, of course, teaching a unit to how to transport units properly sounds exceedingly difficult, but the regular water military units, it uses the same as any.

tl;dr version: GAE's AI handles water units fine, but not building on water.

On a side note, should they be implemented, they should use the same field names as GAE, for support. Those are:

• any_water - Unit may travel on any submerged cell, though not through unwalkable objects.
  • deep_water - Unit may only travel on deep submerged cells, and not through unwalkable objects. Deep is defined as the water deep enough for land units to not be able to pass through.
  • amphibious - Unit may travel on any land or submerged cell, but not through unwalkable objects.

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
Re: Various suggestions (Victor)
« Reply #15 on: 3 November 2011, 22:03:19 »
TL:DR I really LOVE TL:DR

My love for the TL:DR sentence shows in this message

WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"