Author Topic: MegagGlest 3.5.3-beta1 feedback  (Read 2280 times)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
MegagGlest 3.5.3-beta1 feedback
« on: 6 November 2011, 00:21:35 »
Thanks a lot for the installers softcoder!
I played round about [big]10[/big]  hours today!

good things:
1. The new AI is great :D.
Beginners should be really careful with the multiplier settings now!  :P
2. Romans are much better balanced now and have good new animations
3. the new maps combined with the new ultra cpu are great. They find you everywhere when you try to hide ;-)
4. I like the improved mod menu I made. If you don't like the icons, send me better ones and i will use them  :P

bad things:
1. Like Pizza I still think the fonts are somehow transparent and by this often hard to read :/ . maybe we should try the according bold font instead to make it more readable
2. we had one crash ( without stacktrace/corefile   :'( ). I tried to reproduce it the whole day, but no luck yet. It happened in the middle of a multiplayer game after round about 30 minutes. The server just crashed without saying anything and I had no ulimit set :(
3. sometimes fast skill finishing without need: If you select a worker and let him wlak and then you click right on gold/wood he makes a very fast step. Right click the normal ground again and a next fast step will follow . Maybe this can be improved somehow.

« Last Edit: 6 November 2011, 00:36:48 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Re: MegagGlest 3.5.3-beta1 feedback
« Reply #1 on: 6 November 2011, 05:25:33 »
I checked in some fixed for segfaults related to particles. Try updating from svn (the changes should be compatible with the beta as it only affects particles and lobby changes in headless mode)

Thanks

Mr War

« Reply #2 on: 6 November 2011, 12:11:39 »
My initial feeback, will be testing more.

FPS seems slower than before - I get 25 now under worst conditions, 70 under best conditions. Hard to systematically benchmark, but am used to getting 45-130 depending on powerpack settings etc. Visual quality appears better though (at least feels that way)

Projectile g3d. Yet to test animated projectiles, but I noticed that basic ones are semi-transparent, phasing on and out of transparency as they fly to the target. Not sure if it's happening with all projectiles but very noticeable with warlords' flying crow rocket.

Agree with other feedback that new intro is too long. Its cool but some of us are impatient to get playing :D

Surprised magitech doesn't have HUDs now though;-)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #3 on: 6 November 2011, 18:47:39 »
Thanks for your feedback.

Agree with other feedback that new intro is too long. Its cool but some of us are impatient to get playing :D

Hmm, do you realize that you can skip the intro by hitting escape?

atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 6 November 2011, 18:57:34 »
Thanks for your feedback.

Hmm, do you realize that you can skip the intro by hitting escape?

Its too long, i wanted to see the new intro, but its too long, its just not worth it.

sure you can skip it, but dont we want a awesome intro?
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

Mr War

« Reply #5 on: 6 November 2011, 20:37:10 »
ah, escape. thanks.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: 7 November 2011, 04:41:36 »
I think any keyboard key should skip the intro.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #7 on: 7 November 2011, 10:07:21 »
ah, escape. thanks.

Actually I was wrong there. It's a click of the mouse which skips the intro.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 7 November 2011, 19:57:46 »
Normally its ecs key, all other games does this, so lets conform to that,
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

Mr War

« Reply #9 on: 7 November 2011, 21:30:26 »
Played lots of custom games with Cold war pack and Sci-fi pack and Imperial 2+. Generally no issues except noted above.

Projectile g3d. Yet to test animated projectiles, but I noticed that basic ones are semi-transparent, phasing on and out of transparency as they fly to the target. Not sure if it's happening with all projectiles but very noticeable with warlords' flying crow rocket.
Screen shots to illustrate semi-transparency of projectile g3d. Note the crow rockets - I didn't catch a screen shot of it fully transparent but it fades in and out really noticeably.

And here's an old screenshot when it didn't turn transparent.
« Last Edit: 7 November 2011, 21:46:35 by Mr War »

anything