Author Topic: Developer's Wishlist for next release  (Read 7117 times)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Developer's Wishlist for next release
« Reply #25 on: 5 February 2012, 19:40:33 »
Are you counting CPU or GPU memory?  And how are you counting it?
I'm really just looking at the consumed RAM. I'm aware that Skyrim, for example, makes heavy use of the CPU, though. Doesn't really change the fact that the majority of commercial games run at lower RAM consumption than the forks of Glest, though.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 6 February 2012, 01:58:24 »
Yes, Glest is very very wasteful of memory.  That said;

Are you counting CPU or GPU memory?  And how are you counting it?

This, If it is video memory i would be as the devil would say it in "the pick of destiny" shit out of luck.

Anyways, Yes can we please clarify wich memery we are talking abuot, also for clock speeds ect,ect.

Anywas, 1,5 gig isnt too bad, perhaps for what MG does its too much, but consider this if the md5 format is soon comming a computer wich have less than 1,5 Gigs of ram would not be able to play the game anyways because of its videocard.

(it sound a little vauge, but i think my point came across).
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #27 on: 12 November 2012, 19:55:25 »
This thread should probably be un-stickied and replaced by a new version, or the other way around (so that leftover release goals can be copied).
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #28 on: 2 April 2013, 11:47:19 »
@Omega, skyrim does not show as many vertices as you expect! They are using a trick to show all these trees and so on... They render far away objects to textures. Basically they just show those textures on a plane for each object... But all this does not effect memory consumption too much.
But the reason MG wants so much memory is another. First there are some buffer to speedup things for pathfinding and  so on.
But there is something related to gfx drivers what makes the game grow more and more ... at least this is my last information.

But as this is obviously an off topic discussion back to topic:
Should this thread be sticky anymore ? I think no and I set it to unsticky now. If something it should be sticky please tell me or if you have the rights, set it to sticky again.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

anything