Author Topic: e3257cf: General experience  (Read 974 times)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
e3257cf: General experience
« on: 9 January 2012, 08:11:06 »
I just tried e3257cf on a Core2Quad, 8 GB RAM computer, running Ubuntu 11.10 (Linux 3.0.0-15). The only 'weak' part is it's GPU, an ATI X1650 XT with r300 open source drivers.

While the game starts up flawlessly, as soon as it runs (I'm referring to the menu screens here), the computer starts to crawl, graphics output is very slow. This is not so on vanilla Glest or MegaGlest. Surely there, too, FPS is limited, and while the values displayed in GAE are around 20-30 FPS, which should be more fluid, it actually seems to be more like 5-10 FPS and is rather sluggish. When switching to windowed mode and back to the desktop, everything else reacts rather slow, too. I'm starting the game with default settings (the configuration directory was deleted despite of the 'addons' subdirectory and its contents).

Code: [Select]
$ ./build/source/game/glestadv
[/home/tomreyn/.glestae] is in the search path.
[/home/tomreyn/.glestae/addons/project_red] is in the search path.
[/home/tomreyn/SCM/glestae/data/game] is in the search path.
config-dir: /home/tomreyn/.glestae
data-dir: /home/tomreyn/SCM/glestae/data/game

Init Window: 0 ms.
ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
ATTENTION: option value of option vblank_mode ignored.
Init OpenGL: 96 ms.
Load WidgetConfig: 106 ms.
Renderer Load Config: 57 ms.
Renderer Init Resources: 415 ms.
Renderer Load Shader: 26 ms.
Init Renderer: 514 ms.
Init Sound: 59 ms.
Renderer Init Menu: 0 ms.
« Last Edit: 9 January 2012, 09:30:44 by tomreyn »
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Yggdrasil

• Local Moderator
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
Re: e3257cf: General experience
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2012, 15:19:46 »
By default GAE is built un-optimized and with debug information. Use RelWithDebInfo or just Release in cmake as BUILD_TYPE to get better performance. Doesn't help much on my laptop...

Last time i checked with my laptop which also uses the r300 driver, graphics were heavily broken and not playable. I'm surprised it more or less works now. I'm sometimes still facing segfaults in the DRI library :/ . It's very sluggish too. I'll have a deeper look at the weekend.

Thanks for taking the time to test GAE.