Author Topic: Skill revealing distant area (Scanner Sweep)  (Read 1992 times)

lazyanttu

Skill revealing distant area (Scanner Sweep)
« on: 17 January 2012, 12:03:11 »
Well,  is there a way how "Scanner Sweep"-like effect could be done. The unit using that ability would select an area (perhaps anywhere on the map or within limited range), which would  be revealed (and optionally cloaked units would not/be detected) for some time. I know that it couldn't be done directly by now, but could it be done indirectly somehows? Perhaps I'm just lacking imagination, but for example spawning invisible size-0 units (with limited lifespan) on somewhere on the map. Or by some other way?

This is not very critical yet, my first faction is still in progress (I hope I could publish an early alpha before April). This would be for one unit in another faction. Currently there are no problems with the units from my first faction, I have tested all special mechanics and they are working fine. This is more for later...

What are your opinion/suggestions? Or any other ideas involving similiar effect.

If not, then this could be a feature request? :|

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Skill revealing distant area (Scanner Sweep)
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2012, 17:40:49 »
Well,  is there a way how "Scanner Sweep"-like effect could be done. The unit using that ability would select an area (perhaps anywhere on the map or within limited range), which would  be revealed (and optionally cloaked units would not/be detected) for some time. I know that it couldn't be done directly by now, but could it be done indirectly somehows? Perhaps I'm just lacking imagination, but for example spawning invisible size-0 units (with limited lifespan) on somewhere on the map. Or by some other way?

This is not very critical yet, my first faction is still in progress (I hope I could publish an early alpha before April). This would be for one unit in another faction. Currently there are no problems with the units from my first faction, I have tested all special mechanics and they are working fine. This is more for later...

What are your opinion/suggestions? Or any other ideas involving similiar effect.

If not, then this could be a feature request? :|
Spawning a unit wouldn't really work because it'd be at the same location as your current unit. I've moved this to feature requests because it would need a new skill to work efficiently (though attack spawn with a size 0 unit could possibly work, if strangely).
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

lazyanttu

« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2012, 19:09:02 »
(though attack spawn with a size 0 unit could possibly work, if strangely).

What do you mean? Could that spawned unit be somehow moved to someplace, even if it is size 0. Or perhaps I'll just remove such ability and give my second faction some other scouting abilities. ;)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2012, 19:56:14 »
(though attack spawn with a size 0 unit could possibly work, if strangely).

What do you mean? Could that spawned unit be somehow moved to someplace, even if it is size 0. Or perhaps I'll just remove such ability and give my second faction some other scouting abilities. ;)
MegaGlest has a command which spawns a unit when attacking (last I heard, it was buggy though). Such a thing could be used to create a size 0  unit with sight at the location of the attack. However, using a size 0  unit has a lot of bugs: the AI will swarm around it, knowing its there, but are unable to attack it, which can wreck the game if the unit isn't removed or at least throw the AI off if the unit dies quickly...

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2012, 20:57:12 »
So spawning a patronus, size 0 and negative hp that enemies spawn too is actually a great new spell or magic?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2012, 06:11:38 »
So spawning a patronus, size 0 and negative hp that enemies spawn too is actually a great new spell or magic?
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're saying. Obviously should attack-spawn be used to reveal a distant area instead of a new skill (I'd rather see a new skill, it'd be more versatile and less limited), you'd have to have some other type of attack (which would be ordered before the unit spawning attack) to ensure the AI wouldn't try and use it offensively. Thus, it would only work properly for humans (kinda useless for the CPU anyway).

A new skill would remove this issue, and allow us to have revealed sight in an area for a small period of time (because if we were to allow a spawned unit to survive for too long, then it would mess up the AI, while killing it instantly makes the area explored, but not revealed).

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2012, 07:59:46 »
In the Harry Potter books, a Patronus is a thing - silvery, glowing - that attracts enemies.

In glest, if a unit spawns another unit whose size is 0 (it cannot be attacked), without a move skill and with negative hp (so it eventually dies on its own) (you can even make it fade related to hp in mg), then it would be a very interesting dynamic.  A decoy.

It is not related to sight and scanners.

lazyanttu

« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2012, 08:43:27 »
How the ticket system exactly works? Could this be added to some version milestone in the feature request? I have found the list about different milestones to different versions (0.4, 0.5, 1.0, not set), but how can I get permission to add this new ticket?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2012, 18:10:44 »
In glest, if a unit spawns another unit whose size is 0 (it cannot be attacked), without a move skill and with negative hp (so it eventually dies on its own) (you can even make it fade related to hp in mg), then it would be a very interesting dynamic.  A decoy.
Ah, I see now. While that may work, they'd be incredibly difficult to use.

How the ticket system exactly works? Could this be added to some version milestone in the feature request? I have found the list about different milestones to different versions (0.4, 0.5, 1.0, not set), but how can I get permission to add this new ticket?
Adding a milestone version is up to the development team themselves. Since they're the ones who code the features in, they're the ones who decide when that will happen. If you want a specific feature rushed in, code it yourself.

Zoythrus

« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2012, 21:22:52 »
personally, i dislike the idea of spawning a unit that's barely there to reveal an area. if this is going to be done right, there needs to be an actual skill associated with it.

also, it was mentioned that the AI would have no use for it, but i beg to differ. The Terrans in Starcraft had this ability, and the AI would use it to reveal your cloaked units (making them vulnerable to attack). This would be a very useful skill, both for you and the AI.

anything