Author Topic: Compiling GAE: How to remove 3D mouse?  (Read 1244 times)

Kiko

Compiling GAE: How to remove 3D mouse?
« on: 24 January 2012, 20:03:39 »
I've just downloaded the source packages and code for GAE following the instructions at Sourceforge for compiling under Windows – Vista in my case. (I can't actually compile yet as Visual C++ can't find the headers for Freetype, though I can see they're in a folder, so it shouldn't be difficult to path it).

Anyway, what I want to do is remove the '3D graphical mouse' and have GAE use the standard Windows mouse as MG can (I posted previously on this here and here). I'm giving up on Linux because I don't like the various GUIs available for it, and while GAE runs a little smoother on it, the mouse lag is horrendous, and also the volume control stops functioning on my laptop. But that's by the by.

So, can any of the developers tell me where to look to disable the graphical mouse pointer please? I'm hoping that it may be as simple as removing a function call in the initialisation code..?

Bloodwurm

Re: Compiling GAE: How to remove 3D mouse?
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2012, 19:09:36 »
Yeah the freetype thing is wrong. If I recall, it's within it's own folder but needs to be moved up one level for it to be recognized and all by CMake.

Kiko

« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2012, 19:55:47 »
... it's within it's own folder but needs to be moved up one level for it to be recognized and all by CMake.

Cheers Bloodwurm, I'll give that a try. (I haven't got around to trying to compile since yesterday due to fighting off ninjas and improving the Japanese mod for GAE). I think the mouse stuff needs to be in Feature Requests, as it's bothering me something rotten (and it's not like my Toshiba LC-350 is a flipping dinosaur or anything).

Yggdrasil

• Local Moderator
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2012, 01:03:10 »
Here's a patch (or rather a hack) to get rid of the mouse rendering:
http://pastebin.com/Wdmb37yd

Download it and apply it with git, don't forget to rebuild the game. I didn't really tested it as i have currently no time for glest. See for yourself if it helps with the lag.

Bloodwurm

« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2012, 18:10:06 »
Sorry for the double post:

I just resynched the master branch and went through the complete setup phase for devs.
I did get the Freetype error again (just like the first time I set myself up).

I tried recopying the freetype stuff everywhere, even installed the full GNUWin32 freetype package but to no avail.

In the end, I had to manually add a FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIRS and set it to this path: C:/Projets/glestae/source/gae-deps/include/freetype2 (would obviously need to be adapted to your personal install). It then stopped complaining about not finding it and I was able to complete the process and compile and run gae.

I was tempted to modify the install steps directly but i wonder if some of the principal devs should look at it a bit more? I think there is an issue with the cmake file itself (as if the FREETYPE_INLUDE_DIRS should already be defined in the script when used but isn't) but I don't know much about that tech so...

All other dependencies seemed to be fine for me