Author Topic: GAE 0.3.2 AI - question on its Unit choices  (Read 1428 times)

Kiko

GAE 0.3.2 AI - question on its Unit choices
« on: 31 January 2012, 16:48:42 »
As I mentioned elsewhere, I've made a Ninja/Ronin tree from a stripped down version of the Japanese mod. After much play testing and rebalancing of various unit factors, it's working well and is very addictive. The thing is, the CPU AI teams seem to choose the highest unit up a tree, so to speak, which isn't always best.

For example, I have ronin (swordsmen), a few of whom can transform into ninjas. Swordsmen are fast, fairly well armoured, and do a lot of damage. Ninjas are faster, do a great deal of damage very quickly, but are weakly armoured and so can be mobbed and killed quite easily. Before dying – as a tactic a human player may enjoy using – they can transform into a daemon to confuse enemies. Daemons do little damage and don't last very long when attacked, but they do draw away attackers from another ninja so that mayhem can ensue. But here's the problem;

As the daemon unit is at the top of the swordsman/ninja/daemon tree, the AI 'promotes' swordsmen » ninjas » daemons in the home village before any fighting has even begun. This leaves useless AI daemons lurching around, whereas removing the daemon morph option causes them to promote just to ninja and the fun begins. I'd rather have the ninja/daemon morph if I can.

Is this standard behaviour, and should it be..? (And is it in the coming GAE 4?)
« Last Edit: 31 January 2012, 17:02:24 by Kiko »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: GAE 0.3.2 AI - question on its Unit choices
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2012, 16:58:37 »
Basically the AI for GAE is not that great so don't expect much from it  :(

The AI is rule based and can only be changed in code, so unless you can code you'll have to work around or live with it, sorry.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Kiko

« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2012, 17:05:38 »
Basically the AI for GAE is not that great so don't expect much from it  :(

The AI is rule based and can only be changed in code, so unless you can code you'll have to work around or live with it, sorry.

Thanks wciow, at least I know now. I can code decently, but I can't get GAE to compile in Windows so gave up after a few wasted days. It still plays well enough on CPU for me, so I'll just work around any such AI issues.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #3 on: 1 February 2012, 07:31:49 »
Well, one of Silnarms many unfinished features in GAE is Lua AI, or each faction/mod could have a AI written 'specially for it.

Thanks wciow, at least I know now. I can code decently, but I can't get GAE to compile in Windows so gave up after a few wasted days. It still plays well enough on CPU for me, so I'll just work around any such AI issues.
Too bad man, I hope you can suceed in compiling one day soon.

Kiko

« Reply #4 on: 1 February 2012, 08:51:37 »
Well, one of Silnarms many unfinished features in GAE is Lua AI, or each faction/mod could have a AI written 'specially for it.

That sounds very neat.

Too bad man, I hope you can succeed in compiling one day soon.

Well, it's a shame that I can't, but I guess everyone's developing on Linux, which I don't want to use. If someone was compiling on Windows and had the time to correct the instructions on Sourceforge so the current GIT compiles that's be nice, but I'm happy to wait for a new release for Windows.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #5 on: 1 February 2012, 09:06:20 »
Actually I'm pretty sure Silnarm and Hailstone both develop on Windows, and Yddrasil is the Linux guy. GAE is much windows focused than MG, which is mostly Linux focused.

Have you tried emailing them in the mailing list? http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=glestae-devel
« Last Edit: 1 February 2012, 09:11:38 by Psychedelic_hands »

Kiko

« Reply #6 on: 1 February 2012, 12:45:03 »
Actually I'm pretty sure Silnarm and Hailstone both develop on Windows ... Have you tried emailing them in the mailing list?

Oh, good to know. I'll mail them later – thanks Psych.

Bloodwurm

« Reply #7 on: 1 February 2012, 16:09:26 »
I`m also working on Windows and had it compiling/running on Vista. My PC horribly died though and so I'll have to go about resetting myself up soonish when I get my new PC. Will try to update the steps if no one had to time to get to it before me :)

Kiko

« Reply #8 on: 1 February 2012, 17:42:06 »
I`m also working on Windows and had it compiling/running on Vista. My PC horribly died though and so I'll have to go about resetting myself up soonish when I get my new PC. Will try to update the steps if no one had to time to get to it before me :)

Sorry to hear about your PC death, but a new one is always nice :) When you get GAE compiling and running again I'd really appreciate a step-by-step, folder and file locations, etc. Plus the instructions on Sourceforge could be updated.

anything