Author Topic: GODS DAWN :: Game Development Screens  (Read 16897 times)

Ka

GODS DAWN :: Game Development Screens
« on: 19 August 2005, 12:04:21 »
hi
as requested, i´ll link images from our site
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.3dtowns.at]www.3dtowns.at[/url] in this thread, which will show you some steps and news of our development process.
for sure, for more information / images please visit
[url=http://www.3dtowns.at]www.3dtowns.at[/url] , our indie game development site. thx 4 attention! Ka

renders of the fractions, the paths the player can choose from:

now for some screenshots, i have chosen the amoebans, giant slimy cells, for my army

here you can see all standard stuff around:

the gate / shrine: this building, which will be in place from the beginning and cant be built again, is your connection to the multiverse

life: the gate produces life, increasing the life energy counter. life can be transformed into lifeforms, depending on the path of knowledge, you have "researched" before (here as said, amoebans)

manalisk: the manalisk is a building that can harvest mana from the manapools on the map.

a shot of a nightscenery with 2 manapools

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there will be 2 ressource types: mana and life, and a additional static with a given amount from beginning, which will manage e.g. the once-accouring summoning of an avatar, or something like that.

the different fractions do have different types of gameplay. for example with heaven, you will summon your angels at the gate at higher lifeenergy-costs, preserving the life around, while with hell, more mana then life is needed, and you have the ability to sacrify units for mana (morphing them into bloody pits, ...)

because of our massive changes in gameplay, teh computer AI won´t be able to actually play with this game (i dont like the sound of the word mod), so a multiplayer glest version will be needed, and my prays are with this (remember, we are doing a god game here, so the word pray is strictly allowed!).. so far my short infos..

oh, btw, the crystals are just eyecandy, no resource to harvest at all..

so, pls visit also our website www.3dtowns.at and, if you want to, post some thoughts, suggestions, anything into our forum there..
greetings and stay tuned..
ka
« Last Edit: 8 April 2016, 23:54:55 by filux »

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2005, 17:18:35 »
Very nice. By the way, I think that you mentioned in another topic that the AI was doing nothing when playing with your mod. Can you provide me any further info about this topic? we could try to fix it.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by martiño »

Ka

-
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2005, 17:40:14 »
done in the original thread:

[url=http://www.glest.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=791]http://www.glest.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=791[/url]
thx
ka
« Last Edit: 8 April 2016, 23:56:24 by filux »

Ka

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2005, 20:46:01 »
yes and no..  a gamesystem has to be balanced, so no side or fraction has an advantage, the only benefits are the likes / dislikes, or call it style, of the player himself. so, even if it is technical possible, i dont think the style of the game itself makes it comatible in balancing ways, in my opinion.

ka
www.3dtowns.at
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Ka »

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2005, 08:09:38 »
these factions could be in the normal glest too
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by @kukac@ »

Ka

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2005, 11:00:18 »
as i said, in my opinion that wouldnt be possible. for example, you will need a controlling ressource, in this case mana, to balance out the morphing system (you will get back your live energy, if a unit dies, so you can build armies all time immediatly and that´s not .. well nice). these manapools are a specific tileset ressource, placed quit seldom on the map. so you will need spefic maps to play on. and that is just one example.

it´s a different type of gameplay. that´s a fact. it doesnt work, feel, play like the original glest. and on the other hand, it would cripple the story/ idea of glest itself. so, glest will get a little brother / sister / daughter /son, whatever, and that is not to bad, isnt it?

ka

Jon

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2005, 11:24:31 »
Hi Ka,

I love what you're doing with GODS DAWN. I notice that on your 3D Town site you are calling for Torque engine programmers. I have no knowledge of Torque, but my work on the Save Game system has giving me a pretty good understanding of how the Glest engine works.

I would be delighted to help out with extending the Glest AI to make a single player version of GODS DAWN possible.

Feel free to contact me at: jon[at]webarcana[dot]com[dot]au

Regards Jon
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Jon »

Speedator

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2005, 16:44:19 »
But before doing that, please finish the savegame support! I think it is in Ka's interest, too.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Speedator »

Jon

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2005, 19:00:32 »
Don't worry Speedator, the Save Game mod is still my first priority. I have made a little more  progress. I have added support for AI state and pulled out a number of bugs. Unfortunately there is still at least one major bug (accessing a dangling pointer) to do with identifying enemy units. I'll be spending more time on it this week.

Cheers,
Jon
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Jon »

Ka

hell
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2005, 11:10:58 »
new images from gods dawn::

hell on .. well, earth, whatever, with hell you have to sacrifice your units, so you can develop better ones and in addition, you will get ressources from this process. bloody. ugly. diabolic!

ka
[url=http://www.3dtowns.at]www.3dtowns.at[/url]
« Last Edit: 8 April 2016, 23:56:49 by filux »

josepzin

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
    • José Zanni blog
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 29 August 2005, 15:09:00 »
:shock:  :o Good work!!!
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by josepzin »
::. RetroInvaders .::::. My web .::

Ka

-
« Reply #11 on: 1 September 2005, 17:19:43 »
:: new images::
--------------------------------------------------------------

hell updated:

and heaven, all basic units completed (for prototyp version):

--------------------------------------------------------------

@ guest: the basic version of this game will be for free, for sure.
according to our indie game development groups philosophy, we are releasing a free prototyp of every multiplayer targeted game we do, while adding extensions later.

-------------------------------------------------------------

thx 4 attention
ka
« Last Edit: 8 April 2016, 23:58:04 by filux »

tucho

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • .::www.artbytucho.com::.
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 5 September 2005, 15:29:08 »
One more time, Nice job; I hope can play this mod soon  :)
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by tucho »

Speedator

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 5 September 2005, 15:57:48 »
Holy shit, very impressive!
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Speedator »

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #14 on: 7 September 2005, 13:18:16 »
very nice pictures! any relase date for it?

Ka

release
« Reply #15 on: 7 September 2005, 15:28:48 »
thx for your comments!
releasedate? hmm, winter 2005 / 2006, and: multiplayer should be available! hopefully.
ka
www.3dtowns.at

@kukac@

Re: release
« Reply #16 on: 7 September 2005, 18:50:57 »
Quote from: "Ka"
thx for your comments!
releasedate? hmm, winter 2005 / 2006, and: multiplayer should be available! hopefully.
ka
www.3dtowns.at

that would be so great!

Ka

-
« Reply #17 on: 13 September 2005, 12:13:53 »
new preview,
earth :: whipping willow / gif animation
sorry for the 200kb filesize..

ka
« Last Edit: 8 April 2016, 23:58:44 by filux »

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #18 on: 13 September 2005, 13:23:16 »
wont you want relase a demo?

Ka

-
« Reply #19 on: 13 September 2005, 13:59:36 »
an unbalanced, unfinished, partwise unanimated pre-demo?
no, sorry. the steps are: working prototyp (still in dev for a while) - alphatesting (with the crew and associates) - corrections - beta (with crew and some more) - corrections  - release..

it should have the feeling of gameplay, when released to open public the first time..
yes, so far so good.
ka
[url=http://www.3dtown.at]www.3dtown.at[/url]
« Last Edit: 8 April 2016, 23:59:09 by filux »

josepzin

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
    • José Zanni blog
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: 13 September 2005, 15:34:26 »
Quote from: "Ka"
an unbalanced, unfinished, partwise unanimated pre-demo?
no, sorry. the steps are: working prototyp (still in dev for a while) - alphatesting (with the crew and associates) -

Yes, it is true. balance the factions is a very very dificult job. Ask to Martin-o, Tucho and Enveloop about this!!! They have play the game one and one and one time again and again and again to reach the actual game balance!!
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by josepzin »
::. RetroInvaders .::::. My web .::

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #21 on: 14 September 2005, 16:07:24 »
why not they use beta testers? that way it could be easier, i think

Ka

-
« Reply #22 on: 14 September 2005, 18:53:42 »
Quote from: Ka
- beta (with crew and some more) -

we will, at in small scale for sure. each tester will have to write down her / his experiences, opinions, suggestions, etc etc..
so, it shouldnt be a justforfun part, and a hand full of people, who are well known is just a better team.. especially if they live in the same area, so meetings and diskussions are possible.. that is called closed beta. perhaps an open beta will be needed , too .. we ´ll see anyway --

oh, future stuff. for now..

ka
« Last Edit: 8 April 2016, 23:59:41 by filux »

alexjustdoit

(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: 16 October 2005, 00:46:39 »
ya I CANT WAIT TO GET IT!!!So um yah<<< :arrow: >>>what I just said...
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by alexjustdoit »

Ka

-
« Reply #24 on: 18 October 2005, 11:50:34 »
hi
thx for your replies, but as there is no sign of a development process towards a multiplayer edition of the glest engine, we currently considering, ad just considering, to do it with the torque RTS kit, anyway.

that´s not the way me personal wants to go, because i like to smooth production pipeline working with glest, but as i said some time before, a multiplayer part is a must in my opinion, especially for a gamedesign like gods dawn is aiming for. just a note, just a small report so far.
ka
« Last Edit: 9 April 2016, 00:00:05 by filux »

anything