Author Topic: Looking for D/L link to last Version of GAE  (Read 3888 times)

Darth_Sidion

Looking for D/L link to last Version of GAE
« on: 24 June 2012, 02:20:30 »
I think I'm overlooking it, but where is it? All I see know is this 0.4 Beta, I'm only interested in the last known 'stable' version.

On a partially related note, Vanilla Glest has recently been prone to freezing and severe lag, so I un-installed. Hopefully there's some form of Glest that will work on my laptop. I got all these maps and mods, gonna collect dust now I guess...

{Update} I found the link by chance of luck, this is the right one, yes?

https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=6283.0

Psychedelic_hands

Re: Looking for D/L link to last Version of GAE
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2012, 03:04:26 »
3.2 is technically the last "stable" version. But I'd suggest just using 0.43, as that is just as stable, if not more so. The only reason why it isn't a full version I think is that there are a few tickets in the trac which have been incomplete for a long time.

Darth_Sidion

« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2012, 17:33:58 »
Well, version 0.3 didn't work so well on my laptop, even crashed when I tried to 'save' a game, really getting annoyed by this lack of functionality. I'm considering giving Megaglest one more try before I throw in the towel altogether.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2012, 20:44:26 »
Well, version 0.3 didn't work so well on my laptop, even crashed when I tried to 'save' a game, really getting annoyed by this lack of functionality. I'm considering giving Megaglest one more try before I throw in the towel altogether.
Toss the computer out the window and buy a new one. Computers that work that poorly don't deserve to live.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Darth_Sidion

« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2012, 02:21:18 »
That's just it though, I don't want to blame my laptop. This thing has played much more powerful games before (StarTrekOnline, BattleStarGalactica Online, Runescape, Galaxy Online II, Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity, Sim City 4, Microsoft Train Simulator, (list goes on) and it still can play all of these even to this day. Video Drivers are all updated, lastest software updates, it meets the requirements of Glest (in general), I just don't understand these crashes, lags, or freezes. Truthfully Glest isn't all high-powered and it's a very versatile game, which bogs my mind why I can't seem to play it much. Vanilla Glest by far lasted the longest on here, but MG and GAE refuse to cooperate. As far as V-G goes, it plays no matter how long I'm using it, but as soon as I do more than 4 consecutive matches (against AI of course), I get major lag and am forced to just close it down and do something else.

I've isolated the issue (in-game) to being centered around the big 4 player maps, also aerial units (Dragons, Ornithopters, Airships) are present in numbers exceeding 3-per-player, the lag starts, but ends briefly when they are defeated, or take cover behind the 'fog of war' effect. One on one matches seem to work perfectly fine, no matter how many I do. *shrugs* Maybe I just can't play with so many players on one map. But I really enjoy 3 and 4 way matches. Perhaps I should just give up... :(

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2012, 04:48:27 »
That's just it though, I don't want to blame my laptop.
I was just kidding about throwing it out the window. Seriously, it could hit and hurt someone!

To be honest, Glest and its forks aren't very optimized. Performance could be improved with better optimization of what's drawn, how it's done, the pathfinder, the AI's thinking, etc. The problem being that such optimizations are quite difficult to do (a rule of thumb with most commercial programs is that 10% of the programming effort can actually be seen, while the other 90% is done "behind the scenes"). Because of this, Glest can be a bit harder than other similar games (bearing in mind that Glest mostly uses fairly old technology. No bloom, no HDR, water is just a plane, etc). Not sure why air units would specifically cause slow down; I'd imagine the reverse should be the case, as their pathfinding is much simpler, and the models are around the same polycount.

Make sure you turn down the graphical settings, preferably choosing a low resolution and windowed mode. Turn off shadows.

Although to be honest on the whole computer thing, you should still consider investing in a new one. I put the life expectancy of a computer at about 3 years or so (Desktops can last much longer as you can upgrade individual parts, provided chipsets haven't changed).
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2012, 23:13:55 »

Since you're saying you may give MegaGlest one more try, does it mean you tried it before and it didn't work well for you? If not, and if that's although your system conforms with the minimum requirements discussed in the README file we ship, please report your experiences on the MegaGlest forums. Thanks.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·