Author Topic: enable hotkeys for all unit's actions  (Read 2596 times)

Zhook

enable hotkeys for all unit's actions
« on: 16 July 2012, 07:49:01 »
I think this feature is very important.
It is more faster to build tower use >keyboard>b(build)>t(tower).
Just look at boswars or Warcraft projects.
What do you think about it?

D.U.P.A.

Re: enable hotkeys for all unit's actions
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2012, 20:44:38 »
Definitely this is required for competitive play, especially with this transparent UI, where if you miss the button for a pixel you deselect everything and need to do everything from start, losing considerable amount of time in critical situations.

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2012, 22:09:15 »
Zhook, i allready have a topic for this, reply to my thread with your toughts. :).

(and use search next time).
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

John Xenir

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2015, 23:49:28 »
I thought of units and buildings having their build/train icons. Here are my ideas:

Building: (tech faction)
Press 'B' to open build menu
Press 'Q' to build the first building (farm), 'W' second building (barracks), 'E' third building (blacksmith), 'R' fourth building (castle)

Press 'V' to open advanced build menu
Press 'Q' to build first building (technodrome), 'W' second building (tower)

Training: (barracks example)
press 'Q' to train first unit (swordsman), 'W' second (archer), 'E' third (guard), 'R' fourth (horseman)

Summoning: (summoner)
press 'Q' to summon first unit (daemon), 'W' second unit (ghost armor), 'E' third unit (dragon)

This hotkeys can be of course changed, retaining it for first, second, ... units will be consistent with all factions and mods, generally first letter hotkeys are already passe. Also to be able to change it may fix some issues with different keyboard (like AZERTY instead of QWERTZ and so on). The problem may arise if too many units/buildings are available at single factory.

Kitten

• Daemon
    • View Profile
Hotkey/Keybind Production and Commands
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2016, 03:16:01 »
I would like more hotkeys. Specifically, I would like to be able to bind the different units buildings can produce to hotkeys. Example: I select my Main Tepee and press q, adding a worker to the queue. I would also like to be able to do similar things with units skills, such as pressing b to access the build menu, then another key to chose the building.

andy_5995

• Ornithopter
  • Debian Linux user
    • View Profile
    • Andy Alt's home page
Re: Hotkey/Keybind Production and Commands
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2016, 09:03:00 »
Hi Kitten, welcome to the game. :)

This is a list of keybindings I'd like to add to the thread:
https://megaglest.org/techtree/glestkeys.html

This list is from the wiki and may need updating:
https://docs.megaglest.org/Controls

Example: I select my Main Tepee and press q, adding a worker to the queue.

The easiest way to do that right now is using "b". B will cycle through unit buildings, where you can click to produce a unit, and right-click on the map to select where new units should go when they exit the building.

« Last Edit: 25 January 2016, 09:32:25 by andy_5995 »

Kitten

• Daemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2016, 17:01:25 »
Thanks! I was already aware of most of that. Basically, I would like to be able to do what you are suggesting, but without needing to move my mouse. If this is difficult to implement or nobody else wants it too, then that's fine. I was hoping to get an idea of whether others wanted this feature and if it could be easily implemented.

andy_5995

• Ornithopter
  • Debian Linux user
    • View Profile
    • Andy Alt's home page
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2016, 23:51:19 »
Oh, I understand now.

Yes, I believe that's a feature I would use.

Something like - if a barracks is selected, I could use the keyboard: ctrl + 1 would create a swordman; ctrl + 2 creates an archer; ctrl + 3 creates guard; etc.

Kitten

• Daemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2016, 01:46:23 »
Yes, exactly! I come from a background of rts games in which stuff is hotkeyed like that, which I have gotten a bit spoiled by. It allows for much faster actions in my experience.

andy_5995

• Ornithopter
  • Debian Linux user
    • View Profile
    • Andy Alt's home page
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2017, 00:51:00 »
It seems that this topic was also discussed in this post: https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=8490.0 and is in high demand.

With the release of 3.13.0 today, we now have the ability to group together buildings of the same type, add them to a control group.

For example, select 5 barracks; press Ctrl + 1.

Now afterward, when "1" is pressed, 5 archers can be produced with 1 click.

Though I realize that falls short of what is talked about in this discussion, it's a step in the right direction.