Author Topic: Are there attack speed limits?  (Read 1596 times)

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
Are there attack speed limits?
« on: 18 July 2012, 15:25:19 »
I am trying to have a unit with a high attack speed but it seems that somewhere over 140 the effect lessen and lessen.

So, the higher the speed of the attack skill the lower the speed effect seems to be.(ingame).

Do i make any sense to you guys?
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Are there attack speed limits?
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2012, 22:09:51 »
I think what you're trying to say is that the effect of modifying speed parameters is a curve. Changing the speed from 50 to 100 has a far more noticeable effect than changing it from 150 to 200. If that is indeed what you're saying, then yeah, I've noticed it before. The game works... strangely... when the speeds are set very high, so best to keep them very low. Even a machine gun doesn't need an attack speed over 120 (yes, there's machine guns that can fire something like a hundred rounds a second, but they aren't practical for gaming).
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
    • Hageus_Iaponicus(@Hageus_Hagekura)さん | Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2012, 22:50:58 »
If you want to set an very high attack speed or rapid firing rate such for machineguns,
You should also increase the skill's animation speed as well as the attack skill speed.
In fact, even set the attack skill speed to 1000 it does nothing noticeable changes, but if you set the animation speed 1000, the attack rate will be dramatically changes even the skill speed is very low.
Bushido to iu wa shinu koto to mitsuketari.

Japanese Faction Mod

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2012, 23:26:30 »
The formula for calculating a skill cycle is here (at the moment, at least for me, the Latex seems to be broken on Wikia's side; should hopefully be fixed soon). If you can't read the Latex, the formula is basically World Frames = ceil(1 / (speed / 4000)). There's a nice example on that page too, but again, hard to read with the broken Latex (damn Wikia).
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 18:39:08 by filux »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2012, 09:03:04 »
Molas, i dont think that's true,

Your saying that adding 50 speed allways give the same speed increase?,

I don't think so, and i agree omega i think it's a curve, so there is some sort of "upper limit" where it would no longer be practical to add anymore as it would incease in the ranges of something like 0.0000001. ive personally had a speed with 9000 and it did not really do anything.

And i did kinda want more attack speed, as i would like machine guns to do more steady damage, now it kinda feels akward.

rat.....ta......ta......rat.

Do somebody have the mathematical mind to find out where the practical limit is?.
WiP Game developer.
"i break stuff"

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2012, 20:14:45 »
Then give a unit a value of 999999 attack speed. And tell me what your results are going to be. Because i can asure you, the value is not equal to what you say.
WiP Game developer.
"i break stuff"

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2012, 21:56:48 »
Firstly, Thanks hagekura, changing animation speed did effect attack speed, now i can shoot very fast.

Secondly, MoLAoS, im not even going to respond to your rude post.
WiP Game developer.
"i break stuff"

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2012, 22:38:45 »
For one thing you cannot attack more than 40 times a second, which fyi is an attack speed of 4000. That is the speed at which GAE and presumably MG updates.

Up until 4000 attack speed the increased attack speed produces increase attacks and DPS as expected.

If you want to simulate a higher attack speed I would just raise the damage. Same result as increased attack speed.
This quote answers the OP and thus the thread's purpose is fulfilled.  Thread locked before it becomes a gripe session.  In the words of my mother, "Fight nice, kids."

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2012, 22:40:13 »
And posts with offensive words have been deleted. Thats not needed here.

anything