Author Topic: Mordavian Faction for Annex  (Read 9190 times)

wyvern

Mordavian Faction for Annex
« on: 20 August 2012, 20:24:44 »
This is the page for my Mordavian faction addon to Ishmaru's Annex mod. I'll be posting up the techtree and screenshot links as I go along.
Backstory:Prior to the discovery of crystals that proved to re-instigate warfare around the globe, the Mordavians lived in a barren area, stuck even further out of reach then the Neo-Republic. Nonetheless, with large access to oil and other natural resources, as well as control of large swathes of empty land, the population of the nation boomed. Unfortunately, success led to discontent and the various ruling families within the empire broke down into squabbling feudalistic holdings. These engaged in mass armored warfare across the vast plains of their native land, leaving millions of dead in years of bloody civil war. To add insult to injury, the Neo Republic, in need of resources to fund its war against the Alliance, struck into Mordavian territory, wiping out the civilian population or utilizing them as slave labor. It was this threat that finally provided the Mordavians with unity. A charismatic leader, Janos Mrazensky, succeeded in uniting the Mordavian populace behind him  by appealing to the common citizens, resulting in mass social upheaval and final unity. With all that remained of Mordavia backing him Mrazensky revitalized the industrial might of the nation and sought to modernize its military. Attacking south, his soldiers marched into occupied Mordavia as liberating heroes. Striking back at their hated foes in the Neo-Republic, the Mordavian drive soon reached Alliance territories, as well as enclaves heavily influenced by the subversive Shadow Organization. Outpacing all competition in land warfare, the Mordavians were not above utilizing treachery and often used captured vehicles and infiltration forces to aid their advance. Unfortunately, despite having fought over empty lands promoting aerial warfare, it was an ideal that was unpopular with high-command and due to this, the Mordavian airforce consisted of small piston engined AOP's, not the jet fighters and other cutting edge weapons of the other nations. With the largest population of all warring nations, and with the least internal fragmentation, much fear is already reaching the Neo-Republic and Alliance troops as they realize that when the main Mordavian force arrives, the fighting will become brutal, defensive and nearly hopeless.
"If someone stands up to you, try to talk and bribe, if they still stand, grind them under your tank treads"-Janos Mrazensky
A written tech tree, hopefully a visual one soon to follow
Buildings:
HQ-Produces Buildozers, the "Last Sight", and does some of the research, like getting to new tech levels
Barracks-Infantry training ground, produces soldiers, shocktroopers, tank busters, engineers and scouts, as well as HMG's, Cannons and Spider RCL cannon.
Factory-Builds Reaver/Tiny Tim light tanks, Excavator infantry support vehicles, Drak tanks, "arty can" assault guns, Silent Death tank destroyers and Gilgamesh heavy tanks.(Might later build a flak tank)
Supply depot-same or similar to the current alliance faction storage building.
Field Workshop: researches upgrades(to be decided)
Forward Airfield-Builds AOP

Defences:
Tank Turret-tank turret emplacement based on the Drak tank.
Several support weapons can dig in for added defense.
Units:
Buildozer-Builds and harvests.
Infantry:
Soldier-sort of like Grunt, but weaker weapon and HP can be upgraded to carry a single shot short range rocket longer on a slow EP recharge.
Shocktrooper-better then soldier in many ways but more expensive.
Engineer-Armed with SMG that is great at short range, good armor(for infantry) and a flamethrower.
Scout-Sniper unit with long range weapon and good speed, doesn't have one shot kills but can do great long range damage over time.
Flak Gunner-armed with a pistol and SAM launcher, reasonably weak but does good damage to aircraft, can be used against tanks for lower range and damage.
Infantry Support Weapons:
HMG-like minigun, but slower firing and moving in base form, when dug in, has great HP and better ROF(rate of fire) can also shoot against aircraft.
Cannon-Slower moving howitzer, gives infantry a better chance against tanks, can dig into a gun pit to be placed in a cruciform mount
Vehicles:
Tiny Tim light tank-Powerful light tank tank that surpasses the capabilities of all other early game vehicles roughly equal to IFV, It has good armor, an autoloader, good speed and good view range at the expense of slow reload after the first volley and sub-par HP.
(click to show/hide)
Spider SPRCL-reccoilless gun on underarmored chassis, poor armor, HP, ROF, and speed but great range and damage for early game, can deploy for better health and ROF.
Drak Tank-good medium tank with good armor, gun and health but low speed, also more expensive.
(click to show/hide)
Excavator support vehicle-
(click to show/hide)
"Arty Can"-SP gun on Drak chassis, great gun, devastating against everything and outranges everything conventional with the rocket assisted shells upgrade, however, does not have as much damage per shot as rockets, is expensive and not particularly mobile, while lacking heavy real close range and AA survivability despite the cupola mounted MG for air and ground defense.
(click to show/hide)
Silent Death TD-Also based on Drak Chassis, long gun and AAMG for self defense, horribly weak against infantry but eats tanks for breakfast.
(click to show/hide)
Gilgamesh heavy tank-(hopefully) best tank in game, very expensive and slow but great gun and armor, as well as self defense light cannons to mow down infantry, vaguely looks like Tiger (P) model.
AOP-obseration plane, can fight and do light bombing but mostly just for scouting, otherwise crappy.
"Last Sight II"-Lieutnant Ostrovich's personal modified Gilgamesh tank, very expensive with two special EP base attacks, a charge attack to crush infantry by running them over and a sniping attack that one shot KO's most vehicles, however, he is only one tank and extremely expensive so not a game changer on his own, just like the air/orbital strike isn't.
(click to show/hide)
Flak tank-I'm looking at this as a possible replacement for my factions lack of aircraft and adequate anti air defense.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 14:59:53 by filux »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
Re: Mordavian Faction for Annex
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2012, 01:50:36 »
Excavator support vehicle-based on the Drak chassis, has machineguns and can shoot against aircraft and infantry, can repair tanks, maybe make defenses and if possible in MG, give infantry a buff.

It is possible to have any specified units within a specified range of a unit get an upgrade or downgrade.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2012, 05:25:32 »
Posting some of your images so its easy for everyone to see:

Tiny Tim:

(click to show/hide)

Spider SPRCL:

(click to show/hide)

AOP:
(click to show/hide)

Arty Can:

(click to show/hide)

Last Sight II:

(click to show/hide)

Ok a response to your post an annex thread:
Alright, i'll be opening a separate page for this faction, as for the 5 round autoloader, yes its powerful, but the tank has 25ep, regenerating at 1 at a time, this means that after the first burst of five, its gonna be reloading pretty slow, little over half of the Alliance tanks reload. It has normal range and the mobility will be good, but without AA, aircraft make a good counter-Tinytim unit.
Yep, the AOP's the scout plane, and though aircraft will be a killer against this faction, i'm certain that it wont be under-capable, since it trades a superior ground force for a inferior airforce
As for separate wheels, yes I thought about that, and then I realized that this unit is gonna be pretty small, the treads top is covered by sideskirts, and similar to the IFV, this might see a lot of use, so lots of treads could equal lag on slower computers. If you want, I already have the treads made, so I could just put them on this model
I might add a flak tank to equal out this faction against aircraft a bit, though it still wouldn't make their flak as good as the other factions missile launchers and what not.
Its your call about the treads, I figured it might look strange having drawn treads when compared to other tanks with 3D Treads. Maybe you could reduce the wheel count to keep poly count low?
I personally think some sort of flak tank would be a good idea, or at very least a good anti-aircraft turret. :)

Oh if you want to balance Tiny Tim vs other factions: and Alliance tanks attack costs 4 ep per shot, Republic sabres attack cost 3 ep per shot, and Shadow's Scorpion tanks uses 6-7 ep per shot.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2016, 20:04:03 by filux »
Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

wyvern

« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2012, 03:10:13 »
Thanks for the picture posting and balancing advise Ishmaru, I think I'll put the EP per shot at 5-6 because the gun isn't all that powerful in comparison to the other factions MBT's but at the same time, the autoloader capability has to be accounted for.
@Eliminator-I don't know if its possible on units but I know buildings can do healing buffs and stuff, since Ishmaru's factions use this on all the tech construction buildings, but since the excavator is supposed to be an APC/Support vehicle, I hope its possible to put HP healing buffs or something on it as well. Do you know if its possible to put the repair/attack buffs on units Ishmaru?

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2012, 03:33:13 »

@Eliminator-I don't know if its possible on units but I know buildings can do healing buffs and stuff, since Ishmaru's factions use this on all the tech construction buildings, but since the excavator is supposed to be an APC/Support vehicle, I hope its possible to put HP healing buffs or something on it as well.
NO, Im telling you that IT IS possible.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
    • Hageus_Iaponicus(@Hageus_Hagekura)さん | Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2012, 08:15:20 »
@Eliminator-I don't know if its possible on units but I know buildings can do healing buffs and stuff, since Ishmaru's factions use this on all the tech construction buildings, but since the excavator is supposed to be an APC/Support vehicle, I hope its possible to put HP healing buffs or something on it as well. Do you know if its possible to put the repair/attack buffs on units Ishmaru?
As Eliminator already said, In megaglest it is possible to give units the HP healing buffs or any other stats boosts whether the unit is building or not. See the wiki article: MG/Attack-boost.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 18:46:39 by filux »
Bushido to iu wa shinu koto to mitsuketari.

Japanese Faction Mod

wyvern

« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2012, 14:54:05 »
Sorry all, I misread what Eliminator wrote :-[

Hagekura

• Archmage
    • View Profile
    • Hageus_Iaponicus(@Hageus_Hagekura)さん | Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2012, 20:59:17 »
btw This faction's units looks like they are came out from WWII. It's an interesting contrast with futuristic designs of other Annex factions. I'm not saying it's bad since annex has post-apocalyptic setting, I'm just curious. Is there a background story in this faction? :|
« Last Edit: 22 August 2012, 21:11:32 by Hagekura »
Bushido to iu wa shinu koto to mitsuketari.

Japanese Faction Mod

wyvern

« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2012, 00:47:21 »
I don't have a collective back-story written up just yet, but I do have unit specific stuff written up, though i haven't typed any of it. In general, the Mordavian's don't view aircraft as overly important, resulting in the view that they're only good for recon, something ww1ish in theory. Their tanks are meant to be rugged and reliable, and some are plain out-dated, though often over-armored and armed to compensate for their otherwise low-tech. The WW2 feel is there to make them seem more rugged and not too much in line with modern tanks. Their tanks are also supposed to be quite high tech in cannon and sighting quality, despite the archaic layout. This, along with new lessons learned somewhat culminates in my design of the tiny tim, which possesses a more modern armor design, appearance and weaponry. Finally, they are supposed to be a nation which developed quite out of touch with all the others and in wild and treacherous terrain, resulting in the different priorities possessed by their forces. Tanks being the a reliable mainstay, with aircraft being outdated and weak, projectile weapons are generally of superior quality, with better ammo types, while missiles are nearly unused, with the exception of the SAM trooper.
Of course, as most have already figured out, I'm a military history/WW2 nut so its not altogether surprising that it translates into my faction.
BTW, the Flak tank should be finished soon and its the second less outdated looking unit in the Mordavian faction to reflect their rush to catch up in the development of some of the tech they had previously lacked, aka scout tanks and flak vehicles

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2012, 03:40:45 »
I don't have a collective back-story written up just yet, but I do have unit specific stuff written up, though i haven't typed any of it.

From the ones you did mention, You seem to have put a lot of thought into the history of each unit, even created a back story, for your hero unit as well.  Someday it will be nice to see all the unit history and faction back story :)

I have a question you said that the Last Sight controls faction upgrades? Its an interesting change, but why did you decide to do that? Wouldn't this interfere with its combat role? Not to mention isn't it dangerous, like what happens if "last sight" is destroyed? It may be a crippling blow to the faction...

wyvern

« Reply #10 on: 24 August 2012, 02:15:02 »
Yeah, I plan to write out the units individual back-stories and the faction Back-story.
No, I don't intend to make the Last Sight control upgrades, if I wrote that somewhere then it was a typo, could you point out where I wrote this so I can fix it, I might have accidentally clicked the mouse and kept typing, missing the fact that the point of typing had changed

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #11 on: 26 August 2012, 04:56:16 »
4th line of the original post;
HQ-Produces Buildozers, "Last Sight", does tech upgrades

Unless I misunderstood what you mean by tech upgrades.

wyvern

« Reply #12 on: 26 August 2012, 18:05:35 »
sorry about that, by tech upgrades i meant the HQ does the tech upgrading, i'll try to make it more clear.
BTW: I'll be adding a back-story like the one for Ostrovich for every vehicle and to cut down on space, they're being made into spoilers
« Last Edit: 26 August 2012, 18:11:42 by Wyvern »

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #13 on: 29 August 2012, 14:43:06 »
sorry about that, by tech upgrades i meant the HQ does the tech upgrading, i'll try to make it more clear.
BTW: I'll be adding a back-story like the one for Ostrovich for every vehicle and to cut down on space, they're being made into spoilers

Thanks and Good Idea!

Hope to see more soon!

wyvern

« Reply #14 on: 10 June 2013, 06:04:52 »
after a long time of sitting on my bum, I have finally gotten the time to finish working on this faction, as of now, the infantry is largely done and so are most of the tanks. I hope to post some pictures within the next two weeks after national history day is over for me.

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #15 on: 10 June 2013, 14:21:21 »
after a long time of sitting on my bum, I have finally gotten the time to finish working on this faction, as of now, the infantry is largely done and so are most of the tanks. I hope to post some pictures within the next two weeks after national history day is over for me.

Hey Wyvern, good to see you around again! I like the addition of your factions backstory. Hope to see those screenshots soon!

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2013, 22:25:29 »
hey wyvern I rember you saying your infantry are all done, I'm curious what they look like?

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #17 on: 22 July 2013, 18:24:33 »
Same here!
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

wyvern

« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2013, 00:14:18 »
Sorry for the lack of updates, I had some serious computer issues, and frankly completely forgot about Glest, however, I've kicked my rear in gear and started fixing some of the models and I'll hopefully start posting them up by next week, probably on a regular basis until I finish up the whole faction. Once again, apologies for the delay
Wyvern

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #19 on: 2 August 2013, 21:55:51 »
Sorry for the lack of updates, I had some serious computer issues, and frankly completely forgot about Glest, however, I've kicked my rear in gear and started fixing some of the models and I'll hopefully start posting them up by next week, probably on a regular basis until I finish up the whole faction. Once again, apologies for the delay
Wyvern

Its ok, Hope see your models soon! Just wondering are these just models or do you have some of the faction working in game?

wyvern

« Reply #20 on: 19 October 2013, 01:16:56 »
Just updated the excavator with a model, will be releasing pics of the models for the arty can, Drak tank and Silent Death, all of which have been dramatically revamped into a more modern appearance

Ishmaru

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #21 on: 21 October 2013, 06:36:28 »
Cool, Aside from the excavator there were other pictures of various military vehicles, are these also for Mordavian faction?

wyvern

« Reply #22 on: 22 October 2013, 21:38:50 »
Cool, Aside from the excavator there were other pictures of various military vehicles, are these also for Mordavian faction?
Some of them might be, lol, i'll be posting it up as i get to it. a few of the models are for a game im developing with a friend for my CAD class/eventual release, we might end up using MG/GAE as the basis, though i'd like to code in some stuff like turrets and what not, i've done it independently, but havent actually looked at any of the glest coding in detail to see how hard it would be.

anything