Author Topic: Rendering Issues  (Read 3927 times)

quaniit

Rendering Issues
« on: 22 August 2012, 18:35:13 »
I'm new to modding so pardon my stupidity but every time I run the GAE and attempt to start a game, the initialization freezes at 'Initializing Renderer' and I get the following line in terminal:
Code: [Select]
glestadv: main/formats.c:1890: _mesa_format_image_size64: Assertion `depth == 1' failed.
If anyone could tell me what this is or how to fix it, it would be greatly appreciated.  ^^;

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
Re: Rendering Issues
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2012, 06:30:05 »
Intriguing!  A very new graphics card, or a very old card...?

What operating system are you on?  What kind of graphics card do you have?

What is the output of the glxinfo program?  (or, is it not installed?)

Yggdrasil

• Local Moderator
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2012, 17:16:49 »
Please uninstall libtxc_dxtn! Texture compression is broken for us with newer versions of mesa. If you are running the latest git version you can leave it installed and just set 'RenderCompressTextures=true' in ~/.glestadv/glestadv.ini.

Good old mesa doesn't support compressed 3D textures and just aborts with an assert fail.

quaniit

« Reply #3 on: 4 September 2012, 17:28:33 »
Thank you all so much for the feedback.  After looking at the .ini I found that RenderCompressTextures was already set to true.  So I changed that to false to see what it would do and it seems to have fixed my problem.

Yggdrasil

• Local Moderator
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 9 September 2012, 12:22:57 »
Oops, sorry. Yeah, i meant false.

Maybe we should add an extra option for the compression of 3D textures. As far as i can tell we only use one 3D texture for water, nothing else. It's a shame to not have texture compression on open source drivers just because of that.

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2012, 01:30:14 »
To keep things simple it might be better to disable 3D texture compression for everyone if it only plays a small part. Unless the drivers can be detected so it only needs to be disabled for the ones it doesn't work with.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

Yggdrasil

• Local Moderator
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2012, 12:04:11 »
Maintaining a blacklist of drivers sounds like fun i don't want to have. Yeah, disabling/removing texture compression for 3D textures is probably the easiest solution. I'll do that later this weekend.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2012, 19:31:11 »
Maintaining a blacklist of drivers sounds like fun i don't want to have. Yeah, disabling/removing texture compression for 3D textures is probably the easiest solution. I'll do that later this weekend.
Since only water uses it (to my knowledge), and water consists of usually four to eight very small (generally 32 x 32) images tiled together, does texture compression have any noticeable difference in quality?
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2012, 10:39:47 »
Just to put things right: the problem is not with the open source drivers, the issue (when it comes to S3TC) is software patents. Because of this and other shortcomings of S3TC supporting ETC2 is mandatory starting OpenGL 4.3 and OpenGL ES 3.0. The same versions also introduce optional support for royalty-free ASTC. Mesa based open source drivers (intel, radeon, nouveau) will be able to make use of ETC2's predecessor ETC1 starting with the next Mesa release, if only by means of having th driver convert it, since there is no hardware support.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·