Author Topic: MegaGlest Icon (WIP)  (Read 5639 times)

MightyMic

• Technician
  • To mod, or not to mod...
    • View Profile
MegaGlest Icon (WIP)
« on: 15 September 2012, 05:47:54 »
I've decided to make a new icon(s) for MegaGlest... The old one is a little one the low side when it comes to resolution :-\
I wanted to keep it pretty simple... so tell me what you think (ie "The color is putrid" or "More Details" or "Lame" or something you want to see in the next icon)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 7 October 2016, 21:24:10 by filux »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: MegaGlest Icon (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2012, 05:49:35 »
I gotta be honest, greyscale is a bit... eh. I'd rather see the colour scheme more in line with the colours of the website and the original Glest icon (gold, brown, and grey). It's also important to be easily recognizable at small sizes. For example, the word "MegaGlest" at the bottom would be unreadable at 32x32. I'd rather see something more familiar, something well known; perhaps akin to the logo. For example, along the lines of this quick mock up:

Even at a very small size, such as 32x32, the logo is still recognizable:
« Last Edit: 15 September 2012, 06:38:08 by Omega »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2012, 01:44:08 »
I gotta be honest, greyscale is a bit... eh. I'd rather see the colour scheme more in line with the colours of the website and the original Glest icon (gold, brown, and grey). It's also important to be easily recognizable at small sizes. For example, the word "MegaGlest" at the bottom would be unreadable at 32x32. I'd rather see something more familiar, something well known; perhaps akin to the logo. For example, along the lines of this quick mock up:

Even at a very small size, such as 32x32, the logo is still recognizable:

I made a icon similar to this a while ago, for some reason Titi didn't want it.

BTW: the sword is a bit dull  :)
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2012, 03:05:15 »
I've found that I'm not very good at making icons :-\
I do like yours better than, but I'm working on a different one... I don't know how good it'll be, but I'll upload it when I'm done

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2012, 09:52:32 »
I like it that you're experimenting with icons, logos, buttons. If you plan to come up with something reusable, though, then please bear in mind that we'll need scalable imagery (i.e. please create vectorized images, not rastered ones). Otherwise we'd end up with the same issues again - currently the biggest MegaGlest logo I was able to find is 512 x 256 pixels - not enough for printing it, and clearly insufficient for any sort of printed banner or stand.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2012, 18:17:33 »
I like it that you're experimenting with icons, logos, buttons. If you plan to come up with something reusable, though, then please bear in mind that we'll need scalable imagery (i.e. please create vectorized images, not rastered ones). Otherwise we'd end up with the same issues again - currently the biggest MegaGlest logo I was able to find is 512 x 256 pixels - not enough for printing it, and clearly insufficient for any sort of printed banner or stand.
Yeah, it'd be necessary to create entirely from scratch. The existing resources are too small to utilize as a reasonably sized logo. Bigger is pretty much always better, though. Scaling down an image is easier, but we can't just magically enhance an image (reason number 1 why I hate CSI).

Edit: As for an SVG, I think it would certainly be preferable over a raster image, but I don't know if anyone in the Glest community knows how to make quality vector images. They're rather difficult, in my experience. A high resolution raster image could work fine as well (say, 10242, etc).
« Last Edit: 18 September 2012, 20:43:37 by Omega »

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2012, 22:06:30 »
I've actually started playing around in Inkscape since you posted... so I'll let you know if you can expect anything from that.

The Icon I'm still working on is actually in Blender, I don't know exactly how good it's going to turn out, but I'm still hopeful... (that would also be scalable because you would just adjust the rendering resolution in Blender)

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2012, 15:21:26 »
I thunk Toucho made the logo in 3DS max, you could ask him to render it at a higher resolution.

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2012, 14:15:02 »
This is one of my ideas (just a rough outline) once I'm done it will have the typical Glest look... should it be more smooth and curvey like the old
Code: [Select]
[img]http://glest.org/glest_board/Themes/glest_theme_3_9_3/images/off.png[/img]  I'm open to suggestions

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img528/5797/blendercusersmicahpoole.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: 7 October 2016, 21:23:43 by filux »

ariszlo

« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2012, 22:04:55 »
How about just the gorgeous G of http://megaglest.org/uploads/megaglest2011/logo/logo.png
but at a higher resolution for GNOME Shell or docks like Cairo Dock?

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2012, 04:04:25 »
How about just the gorgeous G of http://megaglest.org/uploads/megaglest2011/logo/logo.png
but at a higher resolution for GNOME Shell or docks like Cairo Dock?
I like your idea... except that people might confuse it for Glest. Also, I've cut the G out of that picture for some other things (see this post) and it's only about 90px wide. Most dock icons are 128px or 256px wide. And if you've worked at all with images, you know that scaling pretty much makes the picture suck

I hate to admit it, but I haven't really worked on this since my last post... My rough outline look pretty lame looking at it again. I do want to have the look you're describing, ariszlo, but with M and G twining together in a silver/gold Glest theme. Something like Eliminator's icon, but with the M more prominent than the G (I don't like that M as a capitol letter... as I don't think it was ever intended to be one)
I'll try uploading my sketches tomorrow so you guys can tell me which you like best

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 October 2012, 03:54:13 »
So after trying to get something that represents MegaGlest, but remaining simple, I believe I've got a winning design (Still untextured as that's the most time consuming/least fun part of the process)
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img839/2922/mgrenderedtexturebasesq.png[/img]I've been sketching (poorly) different designs trying to incorporate the M and G into one logo/icon thingie and I think this is my best thus far
The texture still needs work, but this give you an idea of what it's going to look like
« Last Edit: 7 October 2016, 21:23:14 by filux »

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #12 on: 20 October 2012, 00:50:07 »
I like how you combined M and G there. Took me a bit to realise it but it looks good.
I'm not entirely convinced of the presentation, though, this is a pretty technical look. If MegaGlest was Annex, then I'd like it. But to me MegaGlest should really still have a somewhat medieval or at least historic theme. Surely this could also be achieved by modifying the looks of the logo you have now.

Disclaimer: Please don't mistake this as a "we're considering to use your logo", I'm really just speaking for myself here. And on a side note, I still think we really need a SVG.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 October 2012, 01:56:37 »
I think that the big logo with the text that says Mega Glest and the small one should look very close to the same.

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 October 2012, 04:49:03 »
I think that the big logo with the text that says Mega Glest and the small one should look very close to the same.

You're saying something like this?
(click to show/hide)

I'm not entirely convinced of the presentation, though, this is a pretty technical look. If MegaGlest was Annex, then I'd like it. But to me MegaGlest should really still have a somewhat medieval or at least historic theme.
I fully agree and will see what I can come up with. Adding a sword through the letters may do the trick, but I'll play around with it and see what I get.
« Last Edit: 7 October 2016, 21:22:43 by filux »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 October 2012, 16:36:33 »
First of all I like MG's letters a lot how the are now:

Yours would have to look better to replace this.

Also putting a sword through it wont make it look medieval, the whole hexagon grid look makes my think sci-fi.

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 October 2012, 02:34:06 »
Also putting a sword through it wont make it look medieval, the whole hexagon grid look makes my think sci-fi.
Agreed... unfortunately, but yes I agree. My icon looks like it belongs on a space action game...

So the other idea I had was to have a Sai as the M with the G on the front. If done correctly it could look epic... but that's if done correctly

tiger

• Archmage
  • Don't rush it. Make it with Quality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 October 2012, 02:59:55 »
I don't think MG need a new logo....
The one we have is awesome.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: 21 October 2012, 03:44:30 »
I don't think MG need a new logo....
I'm afraid I have to disagree. With all due respect to whomever made the original logos, the G3D viewer logo is a messy drawing of an eye that looks like it was made in Microsoft paint, while the MegaGlest icon is just the original Glest icon with the word "mega" placed on top in a very colourful font that looks like someone just discovered the text effects of the GIMP. We're complaining how MightMic's concept looks too futuristic and doesn't fit MegaGlest (to be honest, it really doesn't feel "glesty"), yet the childish font and random colours of the word "mega" in the current icon don't fit MegaGlest at all either. You'll notice how the MegaGlest icon doesn't appear at all on the MegaGlest website, and for a good reason: it doesn't fit in.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 October 2012, 03:56:42 »
I'm afraid I have to disagree. With all due respect to whomever made the original logos, the G3D viewer logo is a messy drawing of an eye that looks like it was made in Microsoft paint, while the MegaGlest icon is just the original Glest icon with the word "mega" placed on top in a very colourful font that looks like someone just discovered the text effects of the GIMP. We're complaining how MightMic's concept looks too futuristic and doesn't fit MegaGlest (to be honest, it really doesn't feel "glesty"), yet the childish font and random colours of the word "mega" in the current icon don't fit MegaGlest at all either. You'll notice how the MegaGlest icon doesn't appear at all on the MegaGlest website, and for a good reason: it doesn't fit in.
I agree with your assessment on the icons fully :)

but he is making a new logo like this:

tiger

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 October 2012, 03:57:55 »
I was referring to the "Logo" not the icons.
Now I see what your talking about.
But If your making the G3d icon Then it should say "G3d" or something like that. Not just plain "Megaglest"

MightyMic

• Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 October 2012, 03:59:01 »
You'll notice how the MegaGlest icon doesn't appear at all on the MegaGlest website, and for a good reason: it doesn't fit in.
It's actually the Facebook profile picture and it looks terrible... that's what got me started on the "We need a new icon"

I do like the Mega/Glest with the sword through it, but I think pretty much all the others can be revamped...

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 October 2012, 04:02:02 »
You'll notice how the MegaGlest icon doesn't appear at all on the MegaGlest website, and for a good reason: it doesn't fit in.
It's actually the Facebook profile picture and it looks terrible... that's what got me started on the "We need a new icon"

I do like the Mega/Glest with the sword through it, but I think pretty much all the others can be revamped...
Yes I agree but your making a replacement for the Mega/Glest with the sword through it.
You need to make them smaller for the icons.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #23 on: 21 October 2012, 04:04:00 »
I agree with your assessment on the icons fully :)

but he is making a new logo like this:
My apologies, thought we were just discussing the icon. At any rate, I like the current logo. I'm not against a new one, but I don't think it's necessary. The icons, however, could use a serious update.

tiger

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 October 2012, 04:06:32 »
That I agree with.

anything