Author Topic: MegaGlest Refit - Norse  (Read 22538 times)

Zoythrus

MegaGlest Refit - Norse
« on: 19 December 2012, 02:43:56 »
This is a thread dedicated to the redevelopment of the MegaGlest "Norse" faction. Feel free to post ideas related to them here.

Tech Tree Info and Structure
« Last Edit: 19 December 2012, 21:15:46 by -Archmage- »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: MegaGlest Refit - Norse
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2012, 03:06:56 »
What about my name change suggestion? Norse specifically means from Norway. That's not gonna work, and that's 1 reason it didn't fit in MG at all.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2012, 03:41:16 »
What about my name change suggestion? Norse specifically means from Norway. That's not gonna work, and that's 1 reason it didn't fit in MG at all.
According to my cursory research (i.e. looking up the term "Norse" on dictionary.com and Wikipedia), "Norse" refers to the people and cultures of Scandinavia in general, especially before they converted to Christianity.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2012, 03:43:54 »
First lets agree on the names/amount of factions/what they will be like.

Then we will plan the tech trees.

Then art can be made.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2012, 03:54:56 »
Zoythrus, luisconnelly, Psycho Hands, MightyMic, and have got a skype and dropbox setup and we're going to develop the "Norse" faction. The name can be decided on, we have plenty of time to get that locked down.

Elim, after or near the completion of Norse, I'd like to start working on Rome with you. How bout it?
Egypt Remastered!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2012, 04:39:08 »
Zoythrus, luisconnelly, Psycho Hands, MightyMic, and have got a skype and dropbox setup and we're going to develop the "Norse" faction. The name can be decided on, we have plenty of time to get that locked down.

Elim, after or near the completion of Norse, I'd like to start working on Rome with you. How bout it?
Of course, I don't think any faction will be done by one person, people will offer to do certain things.
Also if an anim or model can be done better it should be because we want this to be awesome, so nobody should be offended if someone makes a better model or anim than theirs, or modifies it.

Maybe we should do one faction at a time starting with Norse?
Or multiple at a time?

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2012, 04:53:37 »
That sounds good Elim, Lets make it as much of a community project as possible. Everyone should be added to the drop box.

Zoythrus

« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2012, 05:14:59 »
Okay, here is my rough draft of the tech tree.

It should be pretty self-explanatory.

Now, some concepts that I had thought of:
The Axeman (not the thrower), should have the ability to harvest wood much like a Thrull (maybe even better than). It makes total sense, both in story and historically. They often used their axes to chop wood (and other sorts of things) when not in combat.

The Axe Thrower should get a combat bonus against flying units, seeing as the Norse will be getting nothing of the sort.

The Huskarls irl had giant axes (or dual hand axes) that could easily pierce armor, so they should get a bonus against armored units.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2012, 05:20:12 »

The Axeman (not the thrower), should have the ability to harvest wood much like a Thrull (maybe even better than). It makes total sense, both in story and historically. They often used their axes to chop wood (and other sorts of things) when not in combat.

Maybe in the story and Historically. But gameplay wise it is unnecessary float for no reason. I wholehearted oppose this idea forever.
(Sorry)

One of the main reason I kinda dislike 0 .A.Ds gameplay.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2012, 05:22:35 »
Well doesn’t matter to me, I think the tech tree should be bigger but that is a start.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2012, 06:23:57 »

Maybe in the story and Historically. But gameplay wise it is unnecessary float for no reason. I wholehearted oppose this idea forever.
(Sorry)
The problem I see is that the AI cannot play a worker-style unit with an attack correctly. I'm not sure about the Norse, but I was under the impression that battleaxes aren't generally used for cutting wood.

And in response to Zoy's draft, I rather like the base concept. The names, of course, could use a lot of fiddling around with (am I the only one who'd like to see something other than castle as the main building, as Tech uses a building of the same name?). I'd also like to bring up the discussion of hero units again. Will we be considering giving each faction a hero unit? If so, the valkyrie could be a good choice, allowing it to be rightfully powerful.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Zoythrus

« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2012, 06:30:54 »
Okay Omega, we REALLY need to do something about the AI's use of combat workers. I want the Norse to rely more upon wood for structures and units, so it seemed like a really good idea to have one of their basic infantry to be a wood harvester (since it makes sense). Also, the axes that they used were good for both combat and chopping wood, historically.

Now, the names are placeholders. If you have any better ideas, I'll keep them in mind. I would like more "Norse-ish" names, if possible.

About heroes, we agreed that if we had a hero, it'd either be a Jarl (a Nordic earl) or Thor. The Valkyrie will either be an awesome medic or (if I get my way) a unit that can resurrect the dead (I'm hoping on coding this feature).

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: 19 December 2012, 06:42:51 »
Since I'm gonna be doing the art, I'll tell you whatt...

THOR!!!! Guy goes into a bar, buys a statue. Godly dude at his computer clicks the release thor icon. Statues rumbles and cracks, and eventually it crumbles and thor walks down the base of the statue and his hammer flies into his hand. Sick? Yes!?

I like the idea of infantry chopping wood, very realistic. Unique touch. Am whoteheartedly in favor of this!
Egypt Remastered!

Zoythrus

« Reply #13 on: 19 December 2012, 07:44:13 »
Here's another idea that we want to run past y'all:

Two of their buildings will be upgradeable (morphable):

Hovel -> Cottage -> Farm (greater Food production and HP)
Camp -> Fort -> Citadel (This is their only defense, need I say more?)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: 19 December 2012, 12:57:21 »
Two of their buildings will be upgradeable (morphable):

Hovel -> Cottage -> Farm (greater Food production and HP)
Camp -> Fort -> Citadel (This is their only defense, need I say more?)
I like, but bear in mind that the morphed building can't change in size and if a unit has a building as a prerequisite (in the way that a guard needs a blacksmith), morphing buildings makes it much harder to work those prerequisites in, since the new morphed unit doesn't count as whatever it previously was. A feature request allowing an "or" in those prerequisites (hovel OR cottage) would help. Or we can just have no units depend on that building, but could be potentially limiting.

Personally, I like the idea of a Jarl being the hero rather than Thor. Thor's too well known as a Norse god, whereas a Jarl, as proven by Skyrim, fits in any universe (ay, the hold of Whiterun be mine!). That's just me, personally, though. Thor is a good contender as well.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: 19 December 2012, 13:49:34 »
I'll do whichever as epically as I can, I'm doing a lot of the character modelling.
Egypt Remastered!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: 19 December 2012, 14:21:30 »
Base Male Model Art Showcase:

Detailed Post
Egypt Remastered!

Zoythrus

« Reply #17 on: 19 December 2012, 15:40:24 »
Arch, you need to teach Elim how to animate like that! Then, this community will have two epic animators!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: 19 December 2012, 18:40:03 »
I may make a tutorial. Only problem is that this took over an hour to animate. But if you sit down just jump in and work swiftly it's probably 30-40 minutes.
Egypt Remastered!

Zoythrus

« Reply #19 on: 19 December 2012, 19:43:16 »
hey guys, here's a link to the Google doc! I would suggest that all factions have a doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B_exswRUbeQBSaQZD9CI0M2oYALsrnl2C353r-sI65g/edit

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: 19 December 2012, 22:43:55 »
New animation! Jogging!
This will also be included with the future community release of this model!

Egypt Remastered!

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: 20 December 2012, 10:03:12 »
hey guys, here's a link to the Google doc! I would suggest that all factions have a doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B_exswRUbeQBSaQZD9CI0M2oYALsrnl2C353r-sI65g/edit
Agreed. By the way, folks, if you have a Google account, you can make comments on the document by selecting text to comment on and clicking the "insert comment" button (ctrl + alt + m). It provides an easy way to sort comments about the techtree. If issues regarding your comment are resolved, click the "resolve" button on the top corner of your comment to hide it.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 December 2012, 18:00:30 »
Personally I don't like the name Stave Church, and I think there should be Thor.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: 20 December 2012, 19:30:40 »
Personally I don't like the name Stave Church, and I think there should be Thor.

Stave Church is unique, and accurately related. It should stay, but what do you have in mind for replacement?

Thor? I think I'll put up a poll...
Egypt Remastered!

Perplesso

« Reply #24 on: 21 December 2012, 14:07:46 »

Stave Church is unique, and accurately related. It should stay, but what do you have in mind for replacement?

Thor? I think I'll put up a poll...

Why not "Stavkirke" ("Stave Church" in Norwegian)?

anything