Author Topic: Art Credits  (Read 3488 times)

MoLAoS

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
Art Credits
« on: 21 December 2012, 03:42:38 »
Here is a list of Factions I used art assets from to fill out my faction(aside from Magitech):
Woodsmen
Romans
Greeks
Moon
Dwarves
Elves
Gauls
Saxons
Imperials
Warlords
Undead
Crusaders
Dark Knights
Dark Magic

If you are the creator of one of these factions it would be helpful if you could provide a description of how you would like to be credited.

I was thinking of adding an art credits and sound credits file in the TechTree folder and just list each person and what things they added. Not sure if its better per faction, per model or what not.

I'll leave it up to the content creators what kind of mention they want. If anyone doesn't weigh in, although given that I'm likely going to have to push back release to new years that shouldnt be an issue, I'll probably just add a mention like: such and such faction created by such and such person was used for models and icons and sounds of some units.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: Art Credits
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2012, 05:29:24 »
I'm the author of Moon.  You can credit me as John Harvey or John.d.h, whichever fits your format better.  Thanks.

MoLAoS

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2012, 05:31:37 »
I'm the author of Moon.  You can credit me as John Harvey or John.d.h, whichever fits your format better.  Thanks.

You don't have a particular opinion on where to credit, in the model folder or in the techtree one?

Would a credit for "moon related" content do? There is only one giant faction so it wouldn't be easy to group all the Moon models as made by one person aside from something like that.

I guess I could credit you as the creator of the models from the Lunari Motherhouse or something, and "various Druid related models".

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2012, 06:08:13 »
You don't have a particular opinion on where to credit, in the model folder or in the techtree one?
I usually put a grand credits list in the tech tree folder, as I think it's just the most convenient way to do it.  If you've got a better way, by all means go ahead.

Would a credit for "moon related" content do? There is only one giant faction so it wouldn't be easy to group all the Moon models as made by one person aside from something like that.

I guess I could credit you as the creator of the models from the Lunari Motherhouse or something, and "various Druid related models".
Do whatever is convenient for yourself.  You won't break my heart.  As for me, here's an excerpt from the credits of a now-comatose project:
Magic:
The Glest team - original authors, original art and assets
John.d.h - Project Red art and assets
Psychedelic Hands - Project Red art and assets
Ogrebane (http://opengameart.org/users/ogrebane) - sounds
Legoluft (http://legoluft.de) - http://opengameart.org/content/atmospheric-interaction
Luke.RUSTLTD - http://www.opengameart.org/content/4-summoning-circles
Zoythrus - particles
The MegaGlest team - particles
Archmage - Renewer animations

MoLAoS

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2012, 14:02:21 »
Ah okay. If that is allowed that's what I'll do. I wasn't sure how much detail had to go into credits for legal purposes.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2012, 23:28:12 »
Err... if you're asking for legal purposes, I'm not qualified to answer that.  I believe that when licensing something as CC-By, the author can specify a name/handle and optionally a url that needs to be put there, but most of the time they don't actually specify one so it ends up falling to the discretion of the person reusing it.  When reusing a CC-By asset, I think it's pretty standard practice to list the author's name/handle and where you got it or what project it's from.  Of course, that is harder for some projects than others.  For example, Dark Magic was a collaboration between a lot of us.  I think in those cases it's standard to credit the development team.  For instance, if you used assets from 0 A.D., you would probably just credit Wildfire Games.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2012, 00:42:27 »
From the legal code:
If You Distribute, or Publicly Perform the Work or any Adaptations or Collections, You must, unless a request has been made pursuant to Section 4(a), keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or if the Original Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties (e.g., a sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution ("Attribution Parties") in Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable means, the name of such party or parties; (ii) the title of the Work if supplied; (iii) to the extent reasonably practicable, the URI, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing information for the Work; and (iv) , consistent with Ssection 3(b), in the case of an Adaptation, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the Adaptation (e.g., "French translation of the Work by Original Author," or "Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author"). The credit required by this Section 4(c) may be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Adaptation or Collection, at a minimum such credit will appear, if a credit for all contributing authors of the Adaptation or Collection appears, then as part of these credits and in a manner at least as prominent as the credits for the other contributing authors. For the avoidance of doubt, You may only use the credit required by this Section for the purpose of attribution in the manner set out above and, by exercising Your rights under this License, You may not implicitly or explicitly assert or imply any connection with, sponsorship or endorsement by the Original Author, Licensor and/or Attribution Parties, as appropriate, of You or Your use of the Work, without the separate, express prior written permission of the Original Author, Licensor and/or Attribution Parties.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2012, 01:09:08 »
I am the creator of:

Romans
Greeks
Gauls
Crusaders
Dark Knights

And my bro Tiger is creator of:

Saxons
Gauls

My mods are under the CC-BY-NC-SA so I would like to be credited just as Eliminator.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #8 on: 24 December 2012, 05:10:43 »
Romans
My mods are under the CC-BY-NC-SA so I would like to be credited just as Eliminator.

I hope (and think) this is not the license you are saying applies to the Romans which are part of Megapack. There, as documented in docs/AUTHORS.data.txt and docs/README.data-license.txt all data is licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0 Unported. The NC clause is considered to be problematic since the term "commercial" is imprecise.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2012, 05:37:38 »
Right, the Romans in megapack have whatever license MegaGlest has.

val-gaav

• Swordman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2013, 12:53:21 »
Eliminator so what happens if I'm using your assets from vbros pack from time that those were CC-BY-SA ? Unfortunatelly I have not done a screenshot of the forum at that time (1 year ago I think) when it was still CC-BY-SA, and I'm pretty sure it was like that as I was looking on glest boards only for stuff in cc-by-sa. Please confirm if I am right or my mind play tricks on me

I don't really have much against cc-by-nc-sa, beside that most of the stuff here is cc-by-sa and combining stuff from both licenses (cc-by-sa and cc-by-nc-sa) seems a legal hassle or might be not possible at all ?. Generally licensing is much hassle I must say.

and please take no offense I like your work and am happy to play with it even if my own project might never get finished/public.

EDIT ...
Ok I found the post where I asked you about license and it was cc-by-sa... So since I'm sticking with older versions of your mods  I guess it is still cc-by-sa for my case because I have your old files downloaded.... BTW why the change to NC then ? Someone tried to make money on your work ?
« Last Edit: 18 January 2013, 14:35:29 by val-gaav »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2013, 16:34:17 »
Eliminator so what happens if I'm using your assets from vbros pack from time that those were CC-BY-SA ? Unfortunatelly I have not done a screenshot of the forum at that time (1 year ago I think) when it was still CC-BY-SA, and I'm pretty sure it was like that as I was looking on glest boards only for stuff in cc-by-sa. Please confirm if I am right or my mind play tricks on me
Licensing is not grandfathered, so using media that was formerly declared as CC-BY-SA will remain so.

I don't really have much against cc-by-nc-sa, beside that most of the stuff here is cc-by-sa and combining stuff from both licenses (cc-by-sa and cc-by-nc-sa) seems a legal hassle or might be not possible at all ?. Generally licensing is much hassle I must say.
CC-BY-NC-SA and CC-BY-SA aren't that compatible. The latter is a free culture license, the former is not. You could release a mod where some media is under a different license than the rest, but the main issues with the NC flag are the grey areas. For example, if you receive donations or monetary awards for the work. Not to mention it pretty much just hurts indie developers, since a major developer would never use a share-alike license.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 January 2013, 17:36:50 »
Can you show me the post where I aid my stuff was under CC-BY-SA?

Just for clarification dose CC-BY-SA let you take someone else's work and sell it without giving a copy of your new modified work under the same licence?

val-gaav

• Swordman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 January 2013, 20:33:58 »
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=7061.msg78329#msg78329 here ....

AFAIK cc-by-sa allows someone to sell your work but the changes he makes are still cc-by-sa so you may take them and use in your work. So he might sell it but the license still stays and the changes are free to be ported/ used by anyone...

I think this isn't an issue normally who would pay for something he can get free elswhere?

Licensing is not grandfathered, so using media that was formerly declared as CC-BY-SA will remain so.
Thank you for clarification. I hope there is no hard feelings Eliminator but I stay with cc-by-sa for my project. If it is ever completed it's going to be a free open source tbs game . See the topic here http://forum.vcmi.eu/viewtopic.php?t=485. Task is big and I'm really happy about so much cool cc-by-sa material from glest mods. This community of moders rocks.
« Last Edit: 18 January 2013, 20:39:19 by val-gaav »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 January 2013, 21:08:05 »
Well all my mods are under CC-BY-SA now so feel free to use my newest stuff.

val-gaav

• Swordman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 January 2013, 09:39:18 »
cool . Thank you  :thumbup:

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #16 on: 25 January 2013, 16:28:44 »
To make licensing much less of a hassle, modders should always accompany any releases by a full copy of a license, such as in a file named LICENSE or LICENSE.txt.

Optionally, you can also pass along some copyright statements (you can also explain how you wish to be credited there) in COPYING or COPYING.txt.

If you are unsure which license will fit peoples' needs best, you can release the same mod under multiple licenses, too. In this case you include full copies of all licenses and an additional license statement stating that the entire mod is dual-licensed under <names of the licenses go here>.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

anything