Author Topic: Discussion About Loss of Brazilian Players "Multiplayer"  (Read 1193 times)

victorj

Discussion About Loss of Brazilian Players "Multiplayer"
« on: 23 December 2012, 12:05:55 »
HI, today I want to talk about a subject that has been hurting me a few times, About this decrease of Brazilian players, "online".

You see, when we had only Glest, according Titi had a huge amount of downloading Brazilian players, decreasing it come after the release of MegaGlest, after the dead of Glest. I would love to help, but it would be very difficult alone, Glest had a Brazilian Portuguese translation, perhaps because not having someone of Brazil contributing but this contributor seemed to be absent, I try to help the community whenever possible, until now I did some translations and will upgrade to the new ontputs. "log", I'm only 17 years, I can not even be a experti in Portuguese language but always tried to give clarity and understanding in my translations, but sometimes I do not have much time to devote myself, also not have more experience in disclosure blogging sites ...., I needed to find someone trustworthy, faithful and who likes megaglest as me. But regarding this decreases the Brazilian community I wanted to give my opinions and discuss the opinion of you ..

One of which I think is the name, which is MegaGlest seems to be less known than Glest, it was conlcuido for me to receive many "new" players in the lobby, who had already played Glest anteriorly. So friends, a good step to take is to put downloaded the latest version of megaglest the most Detachable possible on site: www.glest.org "Of course if you have access there"

Another because there may be fewer members in the Brazilian community, may be because nauseate with time too XD now comes in jest. MegaGlest is an exceptional game, another doubt is the choice of name MegaGlest would not be easier just to continues the franchise Glest?

There's another related to online mode, because it can have many Brazilian players, but I'm pretty sure a large portion does not know that you can play online or how to play...

I do not know how we can improve it, but alone would be too complicated as I said, I have left is to wait appear a Brazilian or someone who speaks Portuguese so unusually that it only wants to help.

Thank you good luck with new decisions that the community is taking, I feel very happy :D "and do not forget to comment".
« Last Edit: 23 December 2012, 12:20:03 by victorj »

victorj

Re: Discussion About Loss of Brazilian Players "Multiplayer"
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2012, 02:02:26 »
Nobody has none curiosity in discussing this here?, If someone does not understand any part of what I wrote, tell me, I'll try to clarify it. ;D.

That's just my point of view because to have lost a lot of players in migrating Glest to Megaglest?, be clear this is not only a call for help, the main motivation for me to create this post is to discuss with you guys and see their opinions.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2012, 04:56:16 »
Much of this has been discussed before (maybe that's why nobody answered), but I'll try to summarise it here.

Glest.org website and Glest name:
We do not have access to modify the glest.org website. We have asked whether it would be possible to have a link set to MegaGlest on glest.org website several times, but it has not happened so far, and personally I have given up on it.
Similarily, without the original developers' permission we could not reuse the Glest name for MegaGlest. I also think that, by now, running what MegaGlest is under the name of Glest would not be a good idea since we have now spent a long enough time (and enough energy) to make the name MegaGlest known that it would be only irritating to switch the name to Glest now. Anyways, this (recurring) discussion is purely theoretical, it is not something we can choose.

Usage statistics:
We can neither know how often MegaGlest or Glest are used by players from a given country. We can not even say for sure how often either game was downloaded by people from a fiven country. We can only say how many attempts to download (note how this is not the same as the number of successful and complete downloads) files related to each game (i.e. any file hosted for these projects on sourceforge, not neccessarily the game itself) from sourceforge.net (and only from there) were made within a given period by people from a given country.

From 2011-12-01 to 2012-11-30, sourceforge counted 132.063 attempts to download Glest, 24% of which were sourced from Brazil. In the same period, sourceforge counted 86.941 attempts to download MegaGlest, 17% of which were sourced from Brazil (so there is really just a slight decreare of download attempts from Brazil compared to overall download attempts, which could also be explained with a wider spread of locations which people try to download MegaGlest files from). Personally I attribute the high number of download attempts from Brazil both to high interest in the game and to failing downloads (which are/need to be restarted and are thus counted more than once) - this is speculation, though.

On the other hand my impression is that of all the online players, most are indeed from Brazil. And while it can matter which countries the largest groups of players come from, what primarily matters to me is the total number of players playing the game, and the languages they speak. As well as their motivation, of course, but this can't be gathered from statistics.

If you would like to contribute (even) more to making MegaGlest more known amongst players from Brazil, you could try to make more media reviews happen, and to have more third party sites to write about it. For example, https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glest exists while https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaGlest does not (I do realize this is the portuguese, not brasialian portuguese Wikipedia, but then there is no brazilian portuguese Wikipedia).

Brazilian portuguese translation:
There is currently a portuguese (pt) translation. We can add a brazilian portuguese (pt_BR) translation any time if there are people willing to both provide the initial translation and to maintain it. Please consider convincing the developers that this is the case (providing a minimum of two translators who are willing to contribute initial translations AND are happy to keep maintaining the translation for a while is a good start).

Improving online games for Brazilians:
Unfortunately many (not all) players from brazil have sketchy Internet connections, which makes it difficult for them to play online game from start to the end (which makes it less fun for other players on such games, too). Possible counter measures involve people hosting on their own computers in Brazil (which Carla does form time to time, for example), or a headless server in south / central America or even in Florida (where much traffic from south / central America is routed through so the USA doesn't miss information they deem important).

Having said all of this, I'd like to point out that while I respect cultural differences and personal preferences, I think that we should not consider ourselves subdomains of the MegaGlest community, but primarily a global community for now, since this community is not that large, yet.
« Last Edit: 24 December 2012, 05:52:35 by tomreyn »
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

victorj

« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2012, 10:38:49 »
There is currently a portuguese (pt) translation. We can add a brazilian portuguese (pt_BR) translation any time if there are people willing to both provide the initial translation and to maintain it. Please consider convincing the developers that this is the case (providing a minimum of two translators who are willing to contribute initial translations AND are happy to keep maintaining the translation for a while is a good start).

This translation I've been doing, I'm updating some things now. In my opinion it seems more Portuguese_BR than portuguese_PT. This translation "Portuguese" to me it was never written with purpose of fully spelling of Portuguese Portugal, but still if you want I can change a few things and put the translation Portugues_BR in the game.

Unfortunately many (not all) players from brazil have sketchy Internet connections, which makes it difficult for them to play online game from start to the end (which makes it less fun for other players on such games, too). Possible counter measures involve people hosting on their own computers in Brazil (which Carla does form time to time, for example), or a headless server in south / central America or even in Florida (where much traffic from south / central America is routed through so the USA doesn't miss information they deem important).

This really is a very sad fact here in Brazil, I do not know if you know but the digitization of the population seems to crawl here, while there thousands of people with computers, here less than half I suppose that have computer with internet at home.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2012, 11:23:46 »

This translation I've been doing, I'm updating some things now. In my opinion it seems more Portuguese_BR than portuguese_PT. This translation "Portuguese" to me it was never written with purpose of fully spelling of Portuguese Portugal, but still if you want I can change a few things and put the translation Portugues_BR in the game.

We can copy the existing pt translation to pt_BR, does this sound good?

This really is a very sad fact here in Brazil, I do not know if you know but the digitization of the population seems to crawl here, while there thousands of people with computers, here less than half I suppose that have computer with internet at home.

I did not know, but I do know Brazil is huge and has large rural parts, where money spent on infrastructure will not pay back quickly. You have this issue in Europe, too, but to a lesser degree because most of the countries are much smaller (the european part of Russia is still less than half the size of Brasil).
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Pizza90

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2012, 21:06:17 »
A way to make mg more known among the brazilian people (but this would be good for every nationality) would be to have the website translated in portuguese and (if possible) adding some keywords to make the website more known on the internet. (but then every language should have 4 or 5 keywords and i dont know if you can have like 40 keywords for a website..)

As tomreyn said,making reviews or writing articles on websites would be a good idea too.

However i think what matter is the quality not the quantity. It's useless that 1.000 players download the game but then think "wow it sucks" and delete it, it's better if 100 players download it, like it and play it online.
I translated Megaglest in italian and i keep the translation updated.

anything