Author Topic: Build tools cleanup  (Read 996 times)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
Build tools cleanup
« on: 28 December 2012, 14:59:48 »
I'd like your opinion on the following changes for the purpose of cleaning up the build tools and making their use more intuitive / guessable:
  • Move / rename / edit paths in script as needed /build-mg-win32.sh to /mk/windoze/build-mg-mingw.sh
  • Move / rename / edit paths in script as needed /build-mg.bat to /mk/windoze/build-mg-mingw.bat
  • Move / rename / edit paths in script as needed /mk/windoze/build-mg-2010.bat to /mk/windoze/build-mg-vc2010.bat
  • Move / rename / edit paths in script as needed /mk/windoze/build-mg.bat to /mk/windoze/build-mg-vc2008.bat, alternatively delete this now unsupported script
  • Move / rename / edit paths in script as needed /mk/windoze/CopyWindowsRuntimeDlls_2010.bat to /mk/windoze/deploy-mg-vc2010.bat
  • Move / rename / edit paths in script as needed /mk/windoze/CopyWindowsRuntimeDlls.bat to /mk/windoze/deploy-mg-vc2008.bat, alternatively delete this now unsupported script
External references to these scripts, including those in other scripts and in the documentation, would need to be updated.

My goals here are both getting more intuitive script names and locations, as well as to move all scripts to the build directory which they build for, i.e. all scripts which crete/handle Linux builds would go into mk/linux/, all scripts which create/handle Windows builds (be it on POSIX or Windows platforms) would go to mk/windoze/.

If this seems too much, a limited subset of these changes / improvements would be to:
  • rename /build-mg-win32.bat to /build-mg-mingw.bat
  • rename /mk/windoze/build-mg.bat to /mk/windoze/build-mg-vc2008.bat, alternatively delete this now unsupported script
  • rename /mk/windoze/CopyWindowsRuntimeDlls.bat to /mk/windoze/deploy-mg-vc2008.bat, alternatively delete this now unsupported script
What do you think?
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Build tools cleanup
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2012, 18:03:54 »
If you're going to be moving folders and such around, can you change "windoze" to "windows" please? I get it, you hate windows, but there's a lot of people that use it and you just sound childish with that age old insult.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

MoLAoS

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2012, 18:43:34 »
If you're going to be moving folders and such around, can you change "windoze" to "windows" please? I get it, you hate windows, but there's a lot of people that use it and you just sound childish with that age old insult.

I was really considering posting this as well.

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2012, 19:18:45 »
Ive had the same tought about windoze.

But really.

Win DOZE.

The Win Dozer!. I can like that!.

ps. Im going to rename my PC now.
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

MoLAoS

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2012, 19:53:50 »
But Fusz. That's more of a failure of execution than intent. They meant to denigrate it, but they accidentally made it a cool name instead.

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2012, 20:13:27 »
fair enough windoze it stays then :)