Author Topic: [Forum] The next step  (Read 4939 times)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
[Forum] The next step
« on: 21 March 2013, 11:23:15 »
As you've all probably noticed, the board has been moved to the MegaGlest site. I'd like to raise the question: what next? Do we want to further convert the board to be the MegaGlest board, or leave it as it is?

The first thing that could change is the logo. Glest is a good catch-all, but the title of the forum clearly read "MegaGlest forum" (I liked "board" better, though). We could replace the Glest logo with the MegaGlest logo. However, either the logo would have to be shrunk or the header will have to be expanded. Personally, the shrunk logo looks kind of strange to me. The other alternative would be a modified logo that's adapted to look best as a horizontal shape. However, I don't know how the logo was created.

But with that being said, we could even go a step further and redesign the theme so-as to make the forum fit in better with the site. Although I have no ideas for that, and it's a very large change. The current board theme also facilitates readability well.

Anyway, the next potential change would be the categories and boards. We could move MegaGlest down from being a separate board and encompass general discussion with it. Put GAE and mandate in a separate category. I'm not sure if the former will ever be developed. Developer interest is non-existent.

And... that's really about it. Unless anyone wants to bring up old, failed proposals like karma systems or posting limitations. So, Glest community, what are your thoughts?

On a side note, I think we should look at a new favicon for the site, as the current one doesn't look very good, in my personal opinion. It also scales poorly to favicon size (usually 16x16). With that being said, though, I also have no ideas as to what a successor could look like (although the same style as the Glest favicon but with an M instead of a G could be cool). Such an icon could also be used for the executable.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

GunChleoc

• Horseman
    • View Profile
    • Fòram na Gàidhlig
Re: [Forum] The next step
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2013, 11:56:03 »
I think the Megaglest subforums (bugs & feature reqest) could be moved to the main level now, because they are the ones that see the most activity in that section. Maybe even a separate Megaglest section with:

Megaglest General Discussion
Megaglest Feature Requests
Megaglest Bugs

If we go for a separate section, we could then have another section for the GAE and Mandate forks.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2013, 03:24:05 »
The first thing that could change is the logo. Glest is a good catch-all, but the title of the forum clearly read "MegaGlest forum" (I liked "board" better, though). We could replace the Glest logo with the MegaGlest logo. However, either the logo would have to be shrunk or the header will have to be expanded. Personally, the shrunk logo looks kind of strange to me. The other alternative would be a modified logo that's adapted to look best as a horizontal shape. However, I don't know how the logo was created.

I think it would be nice to edit the MegaGlest logo for (possibly amongst other) the forums, joining the two parts of "MegaGlest" and removing or backgrounding (basically like the Glest logo) the sword, or using it as an underscore. Alternatively I could very well live with stylized text there, using the font which is also used on the website (Cardo) - this could also serve as an intermediary solution.

But with that being said, we could even go a step further and redesign the theme so-as to make the forum fit in better with the site. Although I have no ideas for that, and it's a very large change. The current board theme also facilitates readability well.

Personally I'd lack experience and time to work on this, but if anyone reading this would like to make a new design which is more in lnie with the megaglest.org website then I'd appreciate it (assuming it is all standard conforming and slick and whatever, just like the current one is).

Anyway, the next potential change would be the categories and boards. We could move MegaGlest down from being a separate board and encompass general discussion with it. Put GAE and mandate in a separate category. I'm not sure if the former will ever be developed. Developer interest is non-existent.

Whatever we move, we need to be cautious not to break existing links. This said, I'd like to see the MegaGlest forums become 'the default' or second most prominent (next to announcements, I guess),  somehow, and to not have the mod related forums so separate anymore. We could think about moving the old mod forums to the archives (keeping them available, not breaknig links), and having new ones which are specifically about MegaGlest.

What to do about the other Glest forks' forums is something we should hear about from those people involved with them. We're surely happy to continue hosting them here, and as I said, are also happy to make them available under different hostnames. Anything else can be discussed.

On a side note, I think we should look at a new favicon for the site, as the current one doesn't look very good, in my personal opinion. It also scales poorly to favicon size (usually 16x16). With that being said, though, I also have no ideas as to what a successor could look like (although the same style as the Glest favicon but with an M instead of a G could be cool). Such an icon could also be used for the executable.

I'd appreciate a redesigned MegaGlest favicon, too. Any takers?
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2013, 04:03:11 »
I think it would be nice to edit the MegaGlest logo for (possibly amongst other) the forums, joining the two parts of "MegaGlest" and removing or backgrounding (basically like the Glest logo) the sword, or using it as an underscore. Alternatively I could very well live with stylized text there, using the font which is also used on the website (Cardo) - this could also serve as an intermediary solution.

How was the MegaGlest logo created, anyway? Does anyone have source files for it?

Whatever we move, we need to be cautious not to break existing links. This said, I'd like to see the MegaGlest forums become 'the default' or second most prominent (next to announcements, I guess),  somehow, and to not have the mod related forums so separate anymore. We could think about moving the old mod forums to the archives (keeping them available, not breaknig links), and having new ones which are specifically about MegaGlest.
Links won't be a problem. As long as no new boards are created, the links will be constant regardless of the name or position of the board. In fact, absolute worst case scenario that I can't get the boards to order properly, I can use CSS to move them around. That's a hack, at the best, though.

I don't personally think it's necessary to redo the mods board. The vast majority of stuff on the mods board is MG compatible. Seems cleaner to keep them together (for the meantime, at least).

What to do about the other Glest forks' forums is something we should hear about from those people involved with them. We're surely happy to continue hosting them here, and as I said, are also happy to make them available under different hostnames. Anything else can be discussed.
The only fork that seems to still be active is the Mandate Engine. If MoLAos agrees, I'd personally move it to a new category. GAE is inactive. There was one question post a bit more than a week ago, but aside from that, there hasn't been a single post in more than three months, and that was me asking if the GAE project was dead. The last release was a beta in October 2011. The last update according to SourceForge was December 2011. I'd personally move the board to the archives area, but don't set it as "read only". Instead, we'll change the description to state GAE is "inactive". It's a bit unstable and unlikely to receive bug fixes, so I'd advise against modders using it, but they can still ask for assistance if they wish. Eventually in the future, we could set the board to read only (but at the moment, Helldiver appears to still be developing a mod for GAE).

At any rate, there's no need to delete anything regarding GAE. If the devs want, it'd be very easy to revitalize the project if they chose, otherwise, removing it from the "General" category would remove the appearance that it's still active.

MoLAoS

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2013, 05:34:34 »
I think Hailstone said he was going to write some new Multiplayer code for GAE based off of 0AD. So GAE isn't entirely dead. Ygg said he was not going to be active, though I know he does the Blender script thing.

I'm not super concerned about what you do with Mandate. You can stick it at the bottom or something if you want. Almost no one from the other forums I post on can be bothered to sign up here afaik. But I do need to be able to post and edit there since I keep a lot of the info and updates in the forum.

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2013, 14:22:47 »
Essentially I was thinking, of a return to how Glest.org use to look like in days before all of the sub forums and archived forums were changed. With the exception being focused on Megaglest instead of Vanilla Glest. Here is one Idea:

MegaGlest General
     Announcements
     General Discussion
     Feature Requests
     Bug Reports
Glest based Engines
     Mandate sub forum
     GAE sub forum??
Mods and Development
     Glest Wiki
     Mods
     Maps Tilesets and Scenarios
     Tools
Off Topic
     Off Topic
Archives
     Vanilla Glest
     GAE??

Annex: Conquer the World Release 4 For Pc Mac + Linux
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9570.0
Annex is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/AnnexConquer

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2013, 01:45:35 »
I can edit/make a version of the logo that is horizontal to fit on top.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2013, 19:16:23 »
Essentially I was thinking, of a return to how Glest.org use to look like in days before all of the sub forums and archived forums were changed. With the exception being focused on MegaGlest instead of Vanilla Glest. Here is one Idea:

I like this idea, with the exception that it would mean the modding part would be distinct from MegaGlest. And then bug reports and feature requests are also part of development. I guess I'd like it this way:
Code: [Select]
MegaGlest General
     FAQ and Wiki (web link to a user oriented area on the future MegaGlest Wiki, for now just link to relevant MG information on https://docs.megaglest.org)
     Announcements
     General Discussion
     Feature Requests
     Bug Reports
Mods
     Documentation wiki (web link to a modder oriented area on the future MegaGlest Wiki, for now just link to relevant MG information on https://docs.megaglest.org)
     Factions and Modeling (currently "Mods", but maps, tilesets and scenarios are mods, too)
     Maps, Tilesets and Scenarios
     Tools
MegaGlest Engine based games
     Annex (forum or web link to Annex website, whatever you prefer Ishmaru)
Other Glest based Engines
     Mandate
     Glest Advanced Engine (GAE)
     Documentation wiki (web link to https://docs.megaglest.org)
Off Topic
     Off Topic
Archives
     Vanilla Glest
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 19:48:28 by filux »
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2013, 21:19:21 »
Code: [Select]
MegaGlest General
     FAQ and Wiki (web link to a user oriented area on the future MegaGlest Wiki, for now just link to relevant MG information on https://docs.megaglest.org)
     Announcements
     General Discussion
     Feature Requests
     Bug Reports
Mods
     Documentation wiki (web link to a modder oriented area on the future MegaGlest Wiki, for now just link to relevant MG information on https://docs.megaglest.org)
     Factions and Modeling (currently "Mods", but maps, tilesets and scenarios are mods, too)
     Maps, Tilesets and Scenarios
     Tools
MegaGlest Engine based games
     Annex (forum or web link to Annex website, whatever you prefer Ishmaru)
Other Glest based Engines
     Mandate
     Glest Advanced Engine (GAE)
     Documentation wiki (web link to https://docs.megaglest.org)
Off Topic
     Off Topic
Archives
     Vanilla Glest

Yes I like this better.

I think Mods + Maps Scenarios, and Tilesets be combined as well though I'm not sure how everyone else feels about this.

As for Annex, I would like to have a sub forum for it if at all possible
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 16:45:20 by filux »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2013, 08:12:03 »

Forum categories

I fully agree with Tom except on two notes. First of all, I don't think there's a need for a "documentation wiki" link under the "Other Glest-based engines" category. Where would we point that? The Mandate engine is not documented on the wiki at all, and feels unbalanced to have a link to just one of the engines' documentation. If either of those boards want to link to their documentation, they can do so from their own respective boards. I would, however, keep the link in the mods board, but name it "Documentation on the wiki". If we do this before we create our own wiki, we should point this at Modifying Glest, but later we should rename the page to "Modifying MegaGlest" and improve it.

Anyway, the second thing I'd change from Tom's example is what Ishmaru suggested. I think we should combine the mods and maps, tilesets, and scenarios board. The latter is rather low volume, anyway, and they're all really mods. It also would alleviate the need to come up with a good name for what's currently the mods board. Do we call it "Factions and Modeling"? Or "Factions, techtrees, and modeling"? I prefer "mods".

TL;DR: No wiki link in the "other engines" category and combine the mods board with the maps/tilesets/scenarios board.

Annex

I love the Annex mod. It's probably the best MegaGlest mod there is. However, I have to be honest, I don't think it needs a new board. First of all, we should be aware that more boards is a bad thing. It may seem like we're being more specific, but in most cases, more boards hurts a forum and is often cited as the number one forum administration mistake. In summation, the issue is mostly that more boards divides up posts and makes the various boards less active, which contributes to a chain reaction where people hesitate to post in inactive boards because they don't expect their post to be seen. Heck, I'd love to try some cool conversations in our off topic board, but it's not active enough.

But anyway, let's disregard that for now, how active is Annex? It's probably one of the most active MegaGlest mods, but at the time of writing, I don't think I'd call it active. The last post was (at the time of writing) four days ago. That's fair enough, but the post prior to that is dated 19 January, which was 70 days ago! That's a cluster of about five posts around a one day period. Rewind another eight or nine days (over a week) and we get another two posts. And that's it for this year. We're 88 days into 2013 and the Annex project has only had nine posts. Active? Ha! It's a great mod and more active than other mods, but what on earth would it do with its own board? What do we need a new board for that can't already be done in the Annex thread? Or even another thread on the mods board (which isn't that busy anyway). Heck, projects like Dark Magic or the (possibly doomed) MegaPack refit have had multiple threads and did fine.

I suppose we could say that Annex runs standalone, which makes it different, but if you ask me, it's also a mod, and even if we consider it special, I don't see any benefit in separating it into its own board. It wouldn't even necessarily have more downloads, as people would come for MegaGlest mods and not notice Annex in its own board. We recently gave the Mandate engine its own board, which was largely because it didn't fit anywhere else, but Annex still fits as a mod, in my opinion. So I have to ask, what's the reason to give Annex its own board?

TL;DR: I do not believe Annex needs its own board.

Back to forum categories

So in summation, I'd cut out the "documentation wiki" link under the "Other Glest-based engines" category, lose the Annex subforum, and combine the existing mods and maps/tilesets/scenarios boards under the name "mods".

Thus, I'm proposing our new layout be:
  • MegaGlest general
    • FAQ and wiki
    • Announcements
    • General discussion
    • Feature requests
    • Bug reports
  • Mods
    • Documentation on the wiki
    • Mods
    • Tools
  • Other Glest-based engines
    • Glest Advanced Engine
      • Feature requests
      • Bug reports
    • Mandage Engine
  • Off topic
    • Off topic
  • Archives
    • Vanilla Glest
      • Multiplayer
      • Linux and other ports
      • Bug report
      • Translations

But given the inactive state of GAE, I'd set the childboards to read only. That can be easily reverted if anyone revitalizes the project. If we decide so in the future, I'd also drop the GAE board into the archives. It's pretty much dead as it is. But that's a discussion for another day, I guess.

TL;DR: This list is what I think our boards should look like.

Wiki

We previously touched the idea of moving the wiki in the IRC. Given the non permanent state of IRC, I'd like to rediscuss the idea here. The wiki is bad. Well, it's alright, but Wikia is bad. They had their good days, but  for the last two years or so, they've been pulling an EA, slapping wikis with insane advertising and reaping record profit off it. I know quite a few wikis that moved off Wikia and even more that at least considered the idea. Moving away from Wikia is hard because of their very good SEO. Thankfully, the Glest wiki gets most of its visitors through direct links, presumably the (Mega)Glest forum and related sites, so I think a move from Wikia would not have any major hurdles. Volume is relatively low, too (less than the forums), so it shouldn't be an issue hosting-wise.

Anyway, I'd thus like us to set up a MediaWiki based wiki on megaglest.org. I emphasise MediaWiki for a few reasons. First of all, I consider it superior to most of the other formats. Easier to learn than bare HTML, but can still use many HTML tags, secure, fast, and scales well. There's a reason it's used by the world's largest free encyclopedia (yes, Wikipedia). Of course, that also means that Wikipedia's help pages are completely valid for our wiki, and editors with experience with the various WikiMedia sites can easily hop in. Finally, we can export the entirety of the Wikia site into an XML file that can be imported into any MediaWiki wiki. Thus, easy conversion. The images can be moved via the ImportImages script.

Granted, that would just move the wiki as it is. Some of the pages, such as the page on the G3D format or on Blender are all fine and dandy, but we'd probably want to change the existing pages to put MegaGlest at the center of attention. Bearing in mind I'd rather we move the wiki before we attempt any editing.

Most of the MegaGlest data on the wiki is actually pretty good. The only problem is that it's mixed up with GAE and Vanilla Glest stuff. What I would do is save a copy of the pages that have combinations of engines and make a link on the GAE portion of the wiki (presumably for consistency, we can continue to host a portion with GAE-minded stuff; I wouldn't wish being stuck on the Wikia site to my worst enemy). So basically, GAE gets an old, but valid for it, version of the page. Also easy to extend if the project is revitalized. The original page, on the other hand, will lose the GAE stuff and places that state a feature is MegaGlest only will be reworded to assume that people are using MegaGlest. The first target there is the XML pages. That is, everything linked from XMLs. Those are important because it's the easiest way to find the XML structure. Nobody really wants to have to look through the forum to try and find what the XML tag for binding animations to the skill progress (<anim-progress-bound value="true"/>, by the way).

We could then move the pages with the "MG/" prefix outside of that prefix. For example, MG/INI would be moved to simply INI (which already exists, so would be overwritten). This would break some links, but those could be very easily fixed with the AutoWikiBrowser (a basic bot that has powerful interwiki find and replace features; MediaWiki only).

Next, I'd take a look at the main page. Replace the instances of "Glest" with "MegaGlest", refine the links for usability, change the logo, etc. After the main page, there's the pages like Configuration and Installing mods which are largely outdated and could use some serious work.

Also noteworthy is that MediaWiki is moddable. Extensions, as they're called, are pretty easy to install. Plop a file into the extensions directory (in whatever folder you install MediaWiki to) and add a single line to a file. Full instructions are here. Interesting thing about extensions is that while technically unaffiliated with the WikiMedia foundation, sites like Wikipedia use a ton of extensions. Some extensions I'd recommend would include SpamBlacklist (lets you create list of banned URLs; most importantly, a list already exists, as WikiMedia already uses this), ConfirmEdit (which uses either a captcha or simple math problem to prevent spam for the first few edits of a new user or an anonymous user), MultiUpload (which allows multiple files to be uploaded at once), CategoryTree (creates a dynamic category tree), WikiEditor (provides a bar with commonly used functions on the edit page), and CodeEditor (on JS and CSS pages, the edit page has syntax highlighting, auto indent, etc). All of these extensions are used on the current wiki under Wikia and Wikipedia. You can actually view a list of the extensions Wikipedia uses here.

We'd also almost certainly need math formula support, as the wiki currently uses the tag in a few places (such as to show the damage formula). The math tag uses LaTeX for syntax and rendering, so that would have to be installed on the server (but probably already is). We would, however, have to enable formula support as per the instructions here. The MobileFrontend extension may be worth taking a look at, but I'm actually not sure what vanilla MediaWiki looks like on mobile... Assuming we're going to be using the default Vector skin (which we could later customize to make it "Glesty"), we'd probably want to toss in the Vector extension, which would add some improvements.

Finally, I seem to be recalling a mention about restricting page viewing to certain groups of people in the IRC. Noting that wikis are intended to be open and I strongly doubt we have any need whatsoever to restrict viewing of a page (note, it's easy to restrict who can edit a page!), we could use the PageRestrictions extension to restrict viewing some pages to some groups. However, I'd hope I'm just remembering something wrong and we have no use for such an extension (on a side note, IRC logging is now enabled).

EDIT: We should also look at Short URLs. However, a URL of "wiki.megaglest.org/w/Page_title" is much, much nicer than "wiki.megaglest.org/index.php?title=Page_title" in my opinion. They're user friendly, search engine friendly, and easy to type. This guide would probably be the most useable way to do it for Nginx.

TL;DR: We should install a *MediaWiki* based wiki at the soonest convenience. We would then move the current wiki over and edit it. This wiki should have some extensions installed.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 14:08:54 by filux »

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 March 2013, 10:29:06 »
Thanks for the many thoughts you made.

About forum categories: I think it did (and does) make sense to have separate subforums for techtrees/factions on the one hand and all other kinds of mods on the other hand. That's because developing a faction or techtree involves way more work and is way different than a map or tileset. I'm also worried about breaking links if we combine two existing forums, though I guess this can be solved. Regarding GAE forums: we don't loose anything by keeping them available for another half year as they are, do we? There are people who are still working with it so I think it's just fair to give it another while and see if gets back to a more active state. If it doesn't, we can still move it into the archive area then. Wanting to (partially) shut it down now is understandable since we're just discussing restructuring anyways, but I also think we should show more respect towards the great work this project has done, and give it a chance to recover.   

About Annex: It's a separate game, not a mod. We think it's a great game, we want it to have exposure, and we want to support Ishmaru. The argument that its thread isn't currently very active is valid, but we also need to take into account how we want it to develop. I would think all of Titi, Softcoder and me want Annex to have more exposure than a MegaGlest mod (but of course we want to support good MegaGlest mods, too), since it's a standalone game, and a good one, just using the MegaGlest engine under the hood. It also uses licensing terms we like. I don't think one or more forum topics in a mixed forum is sufficent for Annex. A subforum would be fine, and this is also what Ishmaru suggested.

About the Wiki: I'm looking forward to migrating it, too, and I'm fine with the choice of Mediawiki. There is, however, no rush. Before we setup any new services on archer we'll need to ensure backups are setup and work (i.e. test restore). I also want to harden the hosting platform more. Finally, I don't want to have separate user databases for every new web application / service we provide, so we should find out how to combine user databases of SMF and Mediawiki and prepare doing it. Only then should we set it up. I am, however, fine with setting up Mediawiki with a separate user database which is later pruned, just during a fixed migration period, and assuming we have a well spelled out strategy ready about this.

Last but not least: Let's hear Titi's opinion on all of the above before we apply any changes.

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #11 on: 31 March 2013, 23:35:31 »
About Annex: It's a separate game, not a mod. We think it's a great game, we want it to have exposure, and we want to support Ishmaru. The argument that its thread isn't currently very active is valid, but we also need to take into account how we want it to develop. I would think all of Titi, Softcoder and me want Annex to have more exposure than a MegaGlest mod (but of course we want to support good MegaGlest mods, too), since it's a standalone game, and a good one, just using the MegaGlest engine under the hood. It also uses licensing terms we like. I don't think one or more forum topics in a mixed forum is sufficent for Annex. A subforum would be fine, and this is also what Ishmaru suggested.

I Feel Tomreyn put the reasoning behind Annex wanting a sub forum well. I know things have been quiet lately, but with a large update to come plus finally having a true home site will remedy the silence.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 1 April 2013, 03:36:32 »
No offence but I don't think making a sub form for any mods is a good idea unless the mod changes the engine (New code). Others who have things similar will want sub forums as well.

Maybe make a sub forum for all mods that change the game in that big of a way (There are a bunch).

MoLAoS

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 1 April 2013, 03:44:11 »
I am not sure that Annex has a number of players large enough to justify its own forum. 47 Facebook likes, 88 IDB comments, not on sourceforge so now download count. Doesn't generate any forum activity.

Most sites don't really have a forum for each mod of the engine, mostly mods host their own forum if they get popular enough for it to be worth it, like Spring mods do. 0AD mods only get a subforum in the game modification forum.

I know my project has even less interest than Annex though, so I guess its not really up to me. The MG people can make a forum if they feel Annex deserves it.

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #14 on: 4 April 2013, 02:15:35 »
How does Titi and Softcoder feel about Annex subforum?

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 7 April 2013, 00:38:08 »
He thinks there should be one, and now there is one.  ;) And you are its sole moderator. Please let us know what the description text should be set to (there is now a simple text set and some web links, but you may want to modify it) and which other moderators to add (if any).

Titi and I have reorganised the forums today, largely based on what was previously discussed here. If there's something broken or incorrect please let us know.

We still need someone to help replace the Glest logo by a MegaGlest one usin gthe same or similar style and dimensions (width >= 2 x height).

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 7 April 2013, 01:16:40 »
Here is a thinner version of the logo, if you need it even thinner I can do it.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 7 April 2013, 11:08:39 »
Awesome! This is exactly what I had in mind. Can you make a GIMP XCF or Photoshop PSD file available for this image?

Update: The logo is installed (with reduced size).
« Last Edit: 7 April 2013, 15:02:28 by tomreyn »

Ishmaru

• Behemoth
  • um wat??
    • View Profile
    • DelphaDesign
« Reply #18 on: 7 April 2013, 12:10:47 »
I like the new Forum Layout!  And thank you for Annex Forum!

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: 8 April 2013, 03:05:09 »
Awesome! This is exactly what I had in mind. Can you make a GIMP XCF or Photoshop PSD file available for this image?

Update: The logo is installed (with reduced size).
I'm not sure what you meant by "installed", but I replaced the logo now. Note that you'll probably have to bypass the cache to view it, as images and stylesheets are generally cached for long periods of time (ctrl + F5 in Chrome, Firefox, and IE; Opera users will have to clear the cache; Konqueror and Safari users can just click the reload button).

I personally think the logo could use some improvements for its size (a height of 115 pixels). It looks kind of blurry compared to the original logo. The "mega" text also appears to be less contrasted than the "glest" text.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 8 April 2013, 03:50:11 »
Here is a updated version, about the hight, if you want is shorter the whole thing will have to be re-sized.

But I think it looks good the size it is now.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: 8 April 2013, 04:06:37 »
Thanks Elim. However, the height is too large and it overflows the header, which is why I had to resize it (a height of 115 pixels). I did run a sharpening mask on it, though. Again, you may have to bypass the cache to see it. Let me know if it's good or in need of further improvements.

And could we please have the source (presumably layered image)?

anything