Author Topic: New Options menus in svn ( rev 4225 )  (Read 708 times)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
New Options menus in svn ( rev 4225 )
« on: 21 April 2013, 17:26:48 »
We( my son!!! and me ) splitted the options menu in several parts now.
Please test it and give feedback here!

Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
Re: New Options menus in svn ( rev 4225 )
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2013, 01:50:40 »
I finally got around to test it. Well done!

Of course I can never be  fully satisfied and thus here are some comments:
  • Why does it always enter the Misc menu first? I guess starting on the leftmost tab would make more sense.
  • Player name is obviously an important option, maybe "Misc" should be renamed to "General" or siimilar and be the leftmost tab.
  • The width of multi-option selection fields should be the same on all option screens (e.g. on the "video" screen, option "Shadow Texture Size" vs "Max Lights")
  • "Video" should be first, "Audio" later
  • Generally provide a bit more space for text now (needed for e.g. "Network" screen), maybe more line spacing, too.
  • Disable screen blending while navigating inside the Options menu; alternatively (less preferrable) ensure screen blending also affects draw bars (see "Keyboard Setup" page).
  • How about renaming "Keyboard Setup" to "Controls" (which is shorter, too), alternatively just "Keyboard"?
  • Add text on "Keyboard Setup" page explaining how the keyboard test display works
  • Increase button width on "Keyboard Setup" page
  • Make drawbars less ugly
  • "Save" and "Return" buttons on the bottom of the screen should always be at the same position ("Keyboard Setup" and "Video Info" screens).
  • All buttons displayed on the bottom of the screen should have the same width (see "Video").
  • The buttons displayed on the bottom of the screen should, in terms of layout, be horizontally in line with the options listed above
  • There should be a "Reset to Defaults" button which, after a confirmation prompt, empties glestuser.ini, or, maybe better, removes all the options displayed on the current screen from it. The confirmation prompt should be spefiic about what is reset (and what not).
  • The text on the "Video Info" screen should start closer to the left edge of the screen.
  • Either all or no option descriptions should end with a colon, currently it's a wild mix. This probably affects translations, too.
  • If possible, text should be displayed to the right of the selections if an RTL locale is in use (try setting it to 'arabic' and notice where colons are displayed)
« Last Edit: 23 April 2013, 02:08:58 by tomreyn »
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2013, 22:49:59 »
I finally got around to test it. Well done!

Of course I can never be  fully satisfied and thus here are some comments:

Why does it always enter the Misc menu first? I guess starting on the leftmost tab would make more sense.

Because there is the playername in it and we have to start with one. For me in general thats the most important one. I see no reason to change this.

Player name is obviously an important option, maybe "Misc" should be renamed to "General" or siimilar and be the leftmost tab.

Thats a translation thing and for me its ok like it is. It is "Misc". And becasue we start with this menu,noone will miss it becasue of its name.

The width of multi-option selection fields should be the same on all option screens (e.g. on the "video" screen, option "Shadow Texture Size" vs "Max Lights")
   huge multioption fields with only one letter ? no i don't think that does look good.

"Video" should be first, "Audio" later
   needs to be changed in 4 different sources then and I don't see the benefit :-/ .

Generally provide a bit more space for text now (needed for e.g. "Network" screen), maybe more line spacing, too.
   yes, now we have some more place we can do it.

Disable screen blending while navigating inside the Options menu; alternatively (less preferrable) ensure screen blending also affects draw bars (see "Keyboard Setup" page).
   :D very picky ...but I don't know how to fix it.

How about renaming "Keyboard Setup" to "Controls" (which is shorter, too), alternatively just "Keyboard"?
   Its just keyboard yet, and not control in general.

Add text on "Keyboard Setup" page explaining how the keyboard test display works
   Can you provide one ? I don't fully get what all those numbers should tell me .

Increase button width on "Keyboard Setup" page
   increase in which way ?

Make drawbars less ugly
   :-D how? I don't plan to implement a full GUI just for a game menu :-/

"Save" and "Return" buttons on the bottom of the screen should always be at the same position ("Keyboard Setup" and "Video Info" screens).
yes

All buttons displayed on the bottom of the screen should have the same width (see "Video").
   hm, the ones on right are bigger because of translation and havin extra wide button everywhere does not look good.
   but keyboard should look more similar to the other ones

The buttons displayed on the bottom of the screen should, in terms of layout, be horizontally in line with the options listed above
   that would make people think its a part of the options and it is not.

There should be a "Reset to Defaults" button which, after a confirmation prompt, empties glestuser.ini, or, maybe better, removes all the options displayed on the current screen from it. The confirmation prompt should be spefiic about what is reset (and what not).
   yes, but I don't have a real plan how to do this yet.

The text on the "Video Info" screen should start closer to the left edge of the screen.
   Can be done, but all other option menus start there too.

Either all or no option descriptions should end with a colon, currently it's a wild mix. This probably affects translations, too.
   yes, thats mainly a translation problem.

If possible, text should be displayed to the right of the selections if an RTL locale is in use (try setting it to 'arabic' and notice where colons are displayed)
   I am not interested in doing this :-D .

« Last Edit: 24 April 2013, 08:07:25 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

filux

• MegaGlest Team
  • Draco Rider
  • was OpenSuse x64, is Debian testing x64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2013, 05:44:35 »
Generally provide a bit more space for text now (needed for e.g. "Network" screen), maybe more line spacing, too.
   yes, now we have some more place we can do it.
I support this idea:
- more space for text in "Network" screen (before changes it was here more space),
- more line spacing in all screens.

Increase button width on "Keyboard Setup" page
   increase in which way ?
This will show the problem (not enough space for text):

In default that is badly display,
for me is worse because I use a font size = "1" because in the lobby server names/descriptions are much easier to read
...so I would ask for improving this for font size = 1.

The text on the "Video Info" screen should start closer to the left edge of the screen.
   Can be done, but all other option menus start there too.
I support this idea if you can somehow make changes without affecting to other screens.

If possible, text should be displayed to the right of the selections if an RTL locale is in use (try setting it to 'arabic' and notice where colons are displayed)
   I am not interested in doing this :-D .
In one side we need much space for text, but from another side some short descriptions are too far from selections. E.g.

I have 3 different ideas for solving this issue:

- the table
Code: [Select]
--------------------------------------------------
| text:                       |    selection     |
--------------------------------------------------

- align to right
.                     . text:  selection
- text displayed to the right of the selections 
selection  text ...                  ...                    ... text
The third option has the advantage of descriptions now be able to be a very very long

« Last Edit: 26 April 2013, 05:50:28 by filux »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2013, 08:16:42 »
I will improve some of the things like:

- more space in Network screen
- evtentually line spacing ( I need to try )
- and button width in key settings
- more width for language selection
- Video Info ( I got mixed up with video options when I gave my last reply )

GunChleoc

• Horseman
    • View Profile
    • Fòram na Gàidhlig
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2013, 11:04:19 »
For saving some space, how about removing the English prefix for the language selection? E.g. if I would want to select the Polish interface, I don't need to see the English word for "Polish", because I would speak Polish. IMHO this would also make the language names easier to read.