Author Topic: Request for speaker at Dutch national LUG meeting, June 01, Utrecht  (Read 540 times)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
Two nice people of the Dutch national Linux user group (kaa-ching and DJSlash) are currently organizing a meeting of the group which will take place on June 1st in Utrecht (Netherlands). They are looking for someone to discuss MegaGlest with or in front of roughly 30 people during that weekend, either on site in Utrecht or remotely (the technology to use for this is open to discussion, but Google Hangout, Mumble, or some - not closer defined - open source video calling solution were brought up). The discussion / talk should be in English (I'm sure Dutch would work, too, or may actually be preferred), last 45 minutes (incl. Q&A, if any), doesn't need to be too technical, since the audience can be mixed, including both developers and people who just enjoy using Linux. A basic understanding of Linux will be necessary, though. My understanding so far is that the topic of the discussion can be freely chosen.

Part of the LUG meeting will be a game tournament involving MegaGlest and 2+ other open source games, to be played on the latest available release.

Some unordered, out of context, quotes from IRC:
<kaa-ching> tomreyn: I hope you can ask around if anyone in the dev community of MegaGlest would be interested to do a talk in Utrecht
<tomreyn> kaa-ching: i think we have no adult community members nearby
<kaa-ching> ow :-( How would you feel to do a talk over Google Hangout in that case?
<kaa-ching> your voice (and maybe video) over hangout, your slides running on my laptop
<kaa-ching> it would be cool to use hangout or mumble - both would allow multiple attendees so you can listen in to someone else talking :-)
<kaa-ching> DJSlash: my plan was to just use 3G ;-)
<kaa-ching> I'd say expect 30 people to attend
<kaa-ching> 2 rooms with talks and 3 separate rooms with tournaments
<kaa-ching> general audience, 45 minutes

I think anyone who has a solid understanding of MegaGlest (I'm happy to pass on what I know), a basic understanding of Linux, and an idea of how to do a presentation or workshop will be able to do this talk / workshop. It would be much preferred if someone could do it on site (which is probably not an option for me). Remote attendance is also a real option, though.

I think we should get back to them no later than the coming weekend, so let's say our deadline to decide should be April 28.

Is anybody here generally interested in taking on this - you can be sure of my support. Got questions? Just ask.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
Utrecht is far away for me :-/
Do we maybe have an active MG player using linux and lives in or near the netherland and who is willing to introduce MG there?  (  Maybe we should look for someone like this using our server announcement  ::) ) .

If someone is willing we can prepare some stuff for him so its more easy to introduce MG.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

anything