Author Topic: Suggestion on how to get more people to test development builds  (Read 563 times)

biel

• Battlemage
    • View Profile
I have a suggestion  for get more people testing development builds. You can create a page on megaglest.org like "help testing the game" where there is a link and a timetable or something with scheduled test games and explaining there that they can report the bugs in the forum and talk via IRC.

I think source code & development builds should be more acessible and organized in the webpage. Have you thought about creating a github?
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 14:34:11 by biel »

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
Generally I agree it could be good to have more easily accessible information on how to test on the website. However, just by playing the development builds one does not automatically help. We'd still need people to provide quality feedback on what is going wrong (or how everything is working fine, and what + where they tested). Sadly only few people are unable to provide such information in a way which allows for actually identifying underlying issues, fixing them, and getting feedback on whether they were fixed successfully. We could still try to get some information out of the game automatically, which is underway (Google breakpad), and when this will be implemented it could already help a great deal.

Nevertheless, I've just updated the development page on megaglest.org a little, i think it has a slightly more open touch now: http://megaglest.org/development.html
I assume the information you will find there now, much of which was already present there, will also answer your question about source code management ("Github").

If you have specific suggestions on how to improve the website (what should be changed where, use annotated screenshots, a mockup / wireframe site or something like pastehtml.com), I'll be happy to hear them.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2013, 03:38:38 by tomreyn »
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

anything