Well, it's been longer than I thought, and there is still more to go, but I am finally getting really active about this. Also I may be getting on meds for my ADHD, wooooooo drugs!, so that should make me a lot more productive.
I have gotten some basic gameplay in and doing some early rough balancing on stuff and I decided to do some profiling and it appears that my lack for education has not caused me to write unperformant code.
There are three things taking up the majority of CPU time:
Doing the animating of the units takes the most time when profiling the release version, a majority of the total time
Doing the rendering of minimap stuff takes the second most time, maybe 10/20%
Doing command updates on units, almost entirely the updateGeneric function in attack commands is third
The most amount of time, probably 60-70% of CPU times is taken up on graphical stuff, and since I only have like 60 units going, that value will probably increase, both the minimap textures and the unit animations.
Of the actual game logic only the updateGeneric that deals with selecting attack targets for an attack command takes any significant time. It still doesn't take much so I probably won't mess with it unless when I get 400+ units on the maps it starts to take the most time. Based on profiling it seems like the majority of the time is taken up by pathfinding. Like 80-90% of updateGeneric()'s CPU time. The reason its under attack commands is probably because I give more attack commands from the new AI than move commands.
So basically, animations, textures for the animated minimap, and pathfinding take up all the time. The game still runs crazy smooth though under release mode, even with the profiler running.
Assuming my ADHD doesn't kick in hard, and I can spend the same amount of time every day as I have today and yesterday, its probably gonna be another weak to beta, of the game not the engine, release. Then I'll probably have to do a ton of play testing to make sure stuff is logical.